PDA

View Full Version : Fairly specific NC30 engine question

gamgee
9th September 2006, 18:27
See attached image
What does the bolt indicated by the red arrow hold together, as on my engine, some idiot has forgotten to put the copper washer on it when they've put it back in, so it's leaking oil, meaning I need to take it out put a copper washer on, then put it back in, but before I go ahead, I just wanted to check it's not holding any internal parts in place.

In short is it safe to pull that bolt out, put a copper washer on and put it back in, or is it more involved that that?

sAsLEX
9th September 2006, 19:03
will check on my haynes manual tomorrow if no one else updates this

limbimtimwim
9th September 2006, 20:23
meaning I need to take it out put a copper washer on, then put it back inHard to tell from the manual, there are lots of pictures and I am easily confused. There is a picture of the front crankcase with the head off, looking directly down the cylinders. You can see hole where the cam gears hang out, right where that bolt is pointing, but it is too dark to see.. :-(

Taking the head off would answer your question, but I guess that is exactly what you want to avoid :) .

If you don't get an answer, perhaps you could back off it off a bit, and put some high-temp sealant betwixst bolt and engine. There should be enough room for you to do that, because the bolt and whatever is on the other end was designed for there to be a washer there.

But I guess then your problem is that stuff won't stick well if the surface isn't clean, so you'll have a bugger of a time.

But. yeah, well done for thinking things through. I'd have fucked it up by now.

merv
9th September 2006, 22:36
If its any help in my VFR750F manual that bolt on the 750 is called the camshaft idle gear case mounting bolt. Basically it holds the lower part of the case in place and there are 4 further bolts inside that come from the top down to hold the case in the cylinder block. I have never had mine apart so couldn't say for sure there would be an issue but it looks like you could undo that external bolt while the 4 internal ones are still holding it all together.

gamgee
10th September 2006, 18:58
Cool, I'll just wait till tomorrow, when hopefully some of the motorbike mechanics read this, as i haven't really seen anyone say yes or no for definite, cheers

gamgee
11th September 2006, 16:22
guess i'll have to ask the honda dealers?

ben444
11th September 2006, 16:45
Thats the cam gear case set bolt. It's the last bolt you do up when installing the cam gear assembly. It should be ok to take out and put a copper washer on it, (it really should have one)... the cam gear assembly should be secured by the top mouting bolts, so hopefully won't be falling out. Hope that helps.