PDA

View Full Version : KR150 Backfiring?!

Reaper_NZ
12th September 2006, 17:16
Hey, recently my Kawasaki KR150 started back firing on occasion when taking of, and now it has steadily gotten worse. Any ideas of what could be causing this or how to fix it?

Cheers

Str8 Jacket
12th September 2006, 17:54
Hey, recently my Kawasaki KR150 started back firing on occasion when taking of, and now it has steadily gotten worse. Any ideas of what could be causing this or how to fix it?

Cheers

Hmmm, I dont really know but have you changed the spark plug? The only time mine has ever "backfired" it was because the spark plug had well and truly rooted itself.... but then mine never started again. Though because its a two stroke id still check the spark plug. Im sure someone of more help will be along soon... Welcome BTW... have fun!

Reaper_NZ
12th September 2006, 18:10
Thanks for the reply, will check the spark plug on the weekend then.

Str8 Jacket
12th September 2006, 18:17
Thanks for the reply, will check the spark plug on the weekend then.

I would prob check it now if I were you. If its anything like my KR its a peice of piss to pull out and chuck back in.... Cause if it is your spark plug then all of a sudden your bike is just gona stop and your gonna have to leave it wherever to get a new one anyway. Thats what I would do, im sure you'll be sweet.

Reaper_NZ
12th September 2006, 18:20
Isn't the plug under the tank? Will go look now.

Reaper_NZ
12th September 2006, 18:31
Well i have th plug in my hand, and it looks pretty rooted. I was gonna check it on the weekend because it looked like you would have to take the tank of to get t it, but no you can.

Whats it mean when its a mate brown colour?

Im guessing (with my limited knowledge) that its pitted and the spark isn't making ver good contact with the other end.

The gap looks good, about 0.08/9 ish.

Racey Rider
12th September 2006, 18:32
Others have said in the past that backfiring can be caused by air leaking into the exhaust system somewhere. Check for holes or loose bolts holding Exhaust together.

Matt brown is good.

Reaper_NZ
12th September 2006, 18:37
I had a quick look when i got home, but couldn't really see much over the dents and rust :P A while ago the screws rattled out of the exhaust connecting it to the extractor and that just made it go really loud, and didn't back fire. But that isn't a whole, more the whole exhaust tip.

Racey Rider
12th September 2006, 19:10
Could be a piece of carbon has flaked away from inside the exhaust, exposing a hole which is now allowing air in, which mixes with unburnt fuel, making a explosive (backfire) cocktail.

.... or it could just be something else.

Reaper_NZ
12th September 2006, 19:33
Hmm, sounds like i will be checking the exhaust then.

bumsex
13th September 2006, 17:33
check the inlet manifold too...

Reaper_NZ
14th September 2006, 18:33
Ok well replaced the sperk plug, no difference...

Checked exhaust pipe, nothing...

Sent it into red baron for a service and they told me my bike was a write off.
Turns out the main bearing is stuffed (along with a list full of stuff) and it will cost more then its worth in repairs.

So on saturday im getting a 1987 GPX 250. YAY!

Str8 Jacket
14th September 2006, 20:03
Gutted dude! Have you sought a second opinion? Just in case....

Racey Rider
14th September 2006, 21:41
Sorry to hear that.
How much you want to sell it for? as is.

Reaper_NZ
14th October 2006, 14:42
Sorry racey, saw your post WAY to late :(

I just wanted to get ri of it so Red Baron took it of my hands for $460. I would have gladely sold it to you if you wanted it.

Oh and str8 jacket i didn't bother with a second opinion, it was a good excuse to get a bigger bike :D And im loving the 1987 GPX 250 :D:D:D

Str8 Jacket
14th October 2006, 15:47
Sorry racey, saw your post WAY to late :(

I just wanted to get ri of it so Red Baron took it of my hands for $460. I would have gladely sold it to you if you wanted it.

Oh and str8 jacket i didn't bother with a second opinion, it was a good excuse to get a bigger bike :D And im loving the 1987 GPX 250 :D:D:D

Nice :D

Was the KR that you had like the one in my profile pic?.....

Reaper_NZ
14th October 2006, 16:46
Your profile is a cat attacking a kid?!

Str8 Jacket
14th October 2006, 16:51
Your profile is a cat attacking a kid?!

NO, my cat doesnt like me riding her.... Sorry bad joke, click on my user name.... LMAO!