PDA

View Full Version : Replacing engines?

Meekey_Mouse
12th September 2006, 20:29
Hmm... any advice/knowledge would be really appreciated :). How hard is it to pull out a busted engine and put in a better one? Is it pretty simple or just in the way too hard basket?

Cajun
12th September 2006, 20:33
depends on bike really

if you know engines you should know how to do it, and having a service manual helps lots

R6_kid
12th September 2006, 20:34
i got my time down to about 10mins ready to run on the ZXR i built. thats from a bare rolling frame to engine + electrics in and hooked up with fuel supply.

basiclly two mounting points on each side, and generally a full through bolt at the rear of the frame.

Depends on the bike, but if you have the tools, a car jack and a mate to help you its generally pretty easy, especially on 250's.

main thing is just knowing where wires/pipes need to go, so if you are swapping engines in/out take a pic beforehand so you have a reference incase you get stuck.

Lee Rusty
12th September 2006, 20:34
depends on what type of bike, how big,small , size of engine etc up shaft drive, chain drive, fuel injection, carbs , my small bikes take an hour small 2 stroke, bigger bikes can take o day or more.

Meekey_Mouse
12th September 2006, 20:36
depends on bike really

if you know engines you should know how to do it, and having a service manual helps lots

Lol... I know you need an engine to make the bike go :scooter: but other then that... I know nothing :). Between my dad and my brother they have quite a bit of knowledge. What is a big end bearing?

Mr. Peanut
12th September 2006, 20:37
Something you don't want to break >_<

R6_kid
12th September 2006, 20:38
assuming that the big end bearing needs replacing as opposed to it being completely screwed you might get away with just getting it fixed, probably cheaper than a new engine unless its an old bike.

and lee_rusty, i think SHE is a GIRL :dodge: :done:

Meekey_Mouse
12th September 2006, 20:40
assuming that the big end bearing needs replacing as opposed to it being completely screwed you might get away with just getting it fixed, probably cheaper than a new engine unless its an old bike.

and lee_rusty, i think SHE is a GIRL :dodge: :done:

Haha, Thanks R6_kid... yup, I'm a chick. Thanks for all the info to every one else, great help :)

degrom
12th September 2006, 20:52
Best way to learn things, is just to do it!!! Like suggested, take photos and put the bolts back in there holes once the parts are taken out. By donging this you won't loose a bunch of them... LOL

Meekey_Mouse
12th September 2006, 20:59
Best way to learn things, is just to do it!!! Like suggested, take photos and put the bolts back in there holes once the parts are taken out. By donging this you won't loose a bunch of them... LOL

Lol, problem is is that I couldn't afford to screw up :dodge:

degrom
12th September 2006, 21:19
Lol, problem is is that I couldn't afford to screw up :dodge:

Who said anything about screwing up?

First do research and then decide what you want to do... Best thing to start with is to get a service manual and see what is needed to get the engine in and out... (library!!!)

If you don't know anything.....

...ASK!!!

I am sure there will be more than one biker willing to help!!!

poorbastard
12th September 2006, 21:28
Ive done a few bikes. Only problem I had was with the first leaving it months before I got back to putting the new engine in and forgetting where all the wires went etc. Second time was alot easier just took photos before I pulled the first engine out and if I forgot anything just looked at the photos. But most of it is straight foward if you are fitting the same type of engine back into it. They just bolt in.

TLDV8
12th September 2006, 23:09
What is a big end bearing?

The big end bearing is at the lower end of the Connecting Rod (Picture one) and rides on the crankshaft journal.Oil is pumped via the oil feed holes so the bearing shell runs on a film of oil to protect it.If the oil supply is cut off while the engine is running for some reason the bearing surface will fail resulting in a knocking sound or worse.

It depends on the engine..... Some engines have a one piece crankshaft with a con rod that splits (as in the pic) and use a shell type bearing... Some crankshafts are pressed together with numerous parts and have a one piece con rod that has a needle roller type bearing...... As mentioned,grab a workshop manual and it will become much clearer when the bike is there in front of you. :scooter:

Ixion
12th September 2006, 23:29
If the big ends have run you can usually (not always) assume there will be significant other damage also. Two strokes, as always are another matter entirely.