PDA

View Full Version : ZXR 250 Oil Problem

L.L. Cool M
7th October 2006, 16:16
I am changing the oil/filter on my ZXR and have decided that I basically have this problem:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=4538&highlight=zxr+250+oil

I am going to peruse some service manuals when I have faster Internet at work next week, but is it easy to get the old oil seal out? Can I entice it out with an oil fish?

Does anyone have pictures as to where it is, especially as all that area is coated in oil and is hard to view? Is it behind a bolt somewhere? Where would I get a replacement seal from? Any specific size to ask for?

Thanks for any help.

FROSTY
8th October 2006, 06:42
mechanics 101 -- CLEAN THE AREA FIRST.
no point in guessing that maybee it might be --if it is that seal you'll really know about it--oil dripping from it.
get some degreaser from like supercheap autos and an old toothbrush Remove the lower fairings on the bike and get rid of ALL the oil and gunge from your motor.
Remove your external gearchange mechanism.
remove the chain cover on the motor.
You'll find that area very greasy and oily as well.
more degreaser to get this area sparkling clean.
Once it is completely clean THEN visit the problem.

Leave the cover off for now and refit the gearchange.
Fire up the bike and take it for a quick blat -remember ya back tyre may be a bit slippery
back in the gargre and NOW --have a good look round the motor for the oil leak
You said it was the gear change seal-look at the point the gearchange shaft goes into the motor.-behind the external change mechanism
When tis all fixed --dont forget to bung some chain lube on your chain-one bit of it will be very dry and degreased