PDA

View Full Version : It's leaking !

Merwood
16th October 2006, 20:34
heres the story, the oil filter is leaking everytime i turn the bike on, dosent leak when its off.......so i took it into spectrum on barrys point road and they "fixed" it. Went out for a ride, did about 50k's, got home and the oil was leaking again :shit:. The guy at the bike shop told me the filter was originally loose, ok so he tightened it and its still leaking, i took the fairing off and tried to loosen it, tight as hell. Someone out there help me !? if i remove the filter, apply some oil to the filter seal and put it back on should this solve my problem ? dont really wanna have to transport it back to the shop, i reckon i can do it at home just need a little advice. cheers :rockon: :Punk:

Jeaves
16th October 2006, 20:47
Try a new genuine filter , the seal my be naffed on the current one.
That should solve the problem.

also check the sealing surface of the filter mount (what it screws onto) which is stopping the seal ,should it be ok, sealing.

SwanTiger
16th October 2006, 20:51
Piece of shit Kawasaki 15 year old ZXR's. Unreliable peices of crap. My Hyosung never had this problem.

Drum
16th October 2006, 20:55
"Hi flow" filters come with o-rings. Quite handy really.

Merwood
16th October 2006, 20:57
"Hi flow" filters come with o-rings. Quite handy really.

im pretty n00b when it comes to maintanence, slowly learning :scooter: "hi flow filters" ?

Merwood
16th October 2006, 20:59
Try a new genuine filter , the seal my be naffed on the current one.
That should solve the problem.

also check the sealing surface of the filter mount (what it screws onto) which is stopping the seal ,should it be ok, sealing.

cheers for that Jeaves :rockon:

Drum
16th October 2006, 21:00
Its just a brand of filter, but they come with new o-rings in the box.

Could be worth a try replacing the o-ring seal.

Dont forget that when you take the filter off you'll need an oil pan!

Merwood
16th October 2006, 21:02
Its just a brand of filter, but they come with new o-rings in the box.

Could be worth a try replacing the o-ring seal.

Dont forget that when you take the filter off you'll need an oil pan!

lmao, i changed the oil about a month ago, first time id ever done it, good fun to say the least, wrecked a broom but saved a driveway i won

Brett
16th October 2006, 21:24
Piece of shit Kawasaki 15 year old ZXR's. Unreliable peices of crap. My Hyosung never had this problem.

Hyosung?? i heard of those before, in fact i think i read it on the side of a bike as i overtook him...on a corner, two up, at night, with a tinted visor and flipping the rider the bird :yes:
My ZXR has been incredibly reliable.
Merwood, check that the thread isn't crossed, failing that, replace the filter with a decent one.

marty
16th October 2006, 21:37
it's probably been overtightened now, and damaged the seal. you'll have to get another filter, and another couple of litres of oil. only tighten it hand tight - it shouldn't need a spanner (that's why they don't have spanner flats on them) and they shouldn't be any tighter than about 20in/lbs

Merwood
17th October 2006, 00:01
thanks all :rockon: will get it sorted tommorow :Punk:

sAsLEX
17th October 2006, 00:04
My Hyosung never had this problem.

What problems did it have?

I know of one brand new hyosung that's in and out of the store a lot more often than my 15 year old 250 was.....

Unforgiven
24th October 2006, 13:07
I agree with Jeaves, new filter, check the filter mount.

slimjim
24th October 2006, 18:22
yea sound's like when first started you should have changed the filter, as the seal can gerenally be tighten once when it's first installed, after that it will leak if tightened again later on, as fitting new filter , spread a little fresh oil on filter seal and once filter becomes in contact of motor casing, then a half turn by hand should be all that is needed, never think that you need to over tighten,cause it's not required,

Colapop
24th October 2006, 19:05
Have you got a manual? I assume you have, if not check the maintenace manual might be one here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=10556)...