PDA

View Full Version : Strange ZXR250 Problem

placidfemme
17th October 2006, 09:03
As the title says I have a "strange" problem with my zxr, and I don't know what the problem is exactly, so I don't know if i've even posted this in the right place.

This particular problem has happened about 5 times since I got my bike back.

I'll try to explain this as best I can...

For example...

I'm riding up the motorway... say in 3rd, waiting to change lanes... indicator on and all... see the gap I need to pull in, rev the bike and change up into 4th gear, release the clutch while adding some throttle, the bike revs really loud (like say I'm revving it in neutral), no power just loud revving... then just as I'm about to release the throttle cause its not giving me power, it surges forward...

This has happened while changing from 3rd to 4th and from 4th to 5th...

And it also feels (and sounds) like the bike is revving when I release the clutch but holding the throttle steady...

I know thats not a good explanation, but I don't know how else to explain it...

What could be causing the bike to do that?

I should be taking the bike into the shop today to get the brakes checked out (if they have time that is... they didn't last week) so if you could give me some suggestions as to what the problem is I could ask them to check that out too...

Thanks all :sunny:

DMNTD
17th October 2006, 09:12
Could be a few things but from memory your bike hasn't been ridden for a while so it is possible that you clutch cable could do with some lube...

Masterchop
17th October 2006, 09:16
Sounds like your clutch is slipping.

placidfemme
17th October 2006, 09:18
Could be a few things but from memory your bike hasn't been ridden for a while so it is possible that you clutch cable could do with some lube...

Well I do have a new clutch lever... so that makes sense... Thanks :) I'll ask him to check that...

Ixion
17th October 2006, 09:18
Clutch cable needs lubing, clutch cable frayed, clutch cable needs adjustment, clutch release mechanism needs lube or defective, or maybe grooved clutch plates hanging up on the basket. Most likely it all needs a good lube. This is the bike that was crashed? has the clutch cable been replaced? maybe the crash put a kink in the cable.

MSTRS
17th October 2006, 09:20
What they both said. For whatever reason, your clutch is not fully engaging. Service the cable and take the bike for a really good ride.

placidfemme
17th October 2006, 09:25
Clutch cable needs lubing, clutch cable frayed, clutch cable needs adjustment, clutch release mechanism needs lube or defective, or maybe grooved clutch plates hanging up on the basket. Most likely it all needs a good lube. This is the bike that was crashed? has the clutch cable been replaced? maybe the crash put a kink in the cable.

No the clutch cable was not replaced from the crash... the clutch lever and (don't laugh now) the nipple (adjustable screw thingy) was replaced... but nothing else to do with the clutch was touched...

I'll get him to check that out :)

Thanks again all... :rockon:

MSTRS
17th October 2006, 09:28
No the clutch cable was not replaced from the crash... the clutch lever and (don't laugh now) the nipple (adjustable screw thingy) was replaced... but nothing else to do with the clutch was touched...

I'll get him to check that out :)

Thanks again all... :rockon:

I am laughing...the 'nipple' you refer to is the cable adjuster. Where cables are concerned, the 'nipple' is the lump on the end of the cable itself. Then there are grease nipples...and...and...um, I'll shut up now.

placidfemme
17th October 2006, 09:31
I am laughing...the 'nipple' you refer to is the cable adjuster. Where cables are concerned, the 'nipple' is the lump on the end of the cable itself. Then there are grease nipples...and...and...um, I'll shut up now.

lol I plead the 5th... hehe when I ordered a new one... they (Mt Eden) said it was called a "nipple adjuster"... lol and its so small and it cost me $20

Animal
17th October 2006, 09:36
Yep, DMNTD is onto it. Clutch is definitely slipping, and the cable being partially seized inside the shroud would most likely be the cause. Easily fixed, so don't be sad. :)

placidfemme
17th October 2006, 10:09
lol how do my threads always end up dirty :)

Oh... I'm taking my bike down to the shop in about 20 minutes... and I have to leave it there... so hopefully I will get it back today!!!

Just another question...

In regards to payment for work done... I understand that I may have to pay for the clutch problem, because this bike shop did no work on my bike in regards to the clutch...

however they will also be checking out my brake problem (brakes gripping.... may warp new disc), which they did the work on (installed the new parts). Because the brake is gripping... and they did the work... am I required to pay for the work seeing as they didn't do it right the first time?

MSTRS
17th October 2006, 10:14
Perhaps they didn't bleed (that another nipple btw) them properly...I suggest you discuss and perhaps show them (all) your nipples. You never know, someone at least will get lucky.

LilSel
17th October 2006, 10:15
I would say that you wouldnt have to pay for it if it was not done right in the first place.

placidfemme
17th October 2006, 10:15
Perhaps they didn't bleed (that another nipple btw) them properly...I suggest you discuss and show them (all) your nipples. You never know.

lol the mechanic thats gonna be working on my bike now (my usual guy left last week :() seems rather anal... I don't think showing him all the nipples would help much... lol

placidfemme
17th October 2006, 10:16
I would say that you wouldnt have to pay for it if it was not done right in the first place.

Well thats what I'm hoping... I only just paid them $1500 when I picked my bike up... plus I supplied them with all the parts, all they did was the labour... and they even charged me for indicators that I SUPPLIED... but I let that slip... I may bring it up if they want to charge me for the brakes...

placidfemme
17th October 2006, 11:00
Well just dropped the bike off... he said i should be able to pick it up tomorrow...

He's going to check the clutch cable, adjustable screw thingy and the clutch plates... so hopefully its not going to cost me a lot...

He said if it is the clutch plates he can install second hand ones for about $50... is that good or not?

MSTRS
17th October 2006, 11:02
.... can install second hand ones for about $50... is that good or not?

Labour only - plus cost of plates??
Seriously doubt you will need to replace the clutch itself tho. Sorting the cable should be all it needs. You didn't have this problem before bending your bike, did you?

placidfemme
17th October 2006, 11:10
Labour only - plus cost of plates??
Seriously doubt you will need to replace the clutch itself tho. Sorting the cable should be all it needs. You didn't have this problem before bending your bike, did you?

The $50 is just for the second hand plates... they charge like $65 an hour labour...

No I didn't have this problem before I crashed the bike...

*can't wait to sell the ZXR and buy me a pretty R6*

geoffm
17th October 2006, 19:06
Next time, you could bring it around here and fix it. Bring beer and clothes you don't mind getting dirty in (that is grease and motor oil, you lot. get out of the gutter...)
Geoff

placidfemme
18th October 2006, 08:48
Next time, you could bring it around here and fix it. Bring beer and clothes you don't mind getting dirty in (that is grease and motor oil, you lot. get out of the gutter...)
Geoff

Thanks for the offer... do you work for a bike shop? or just work on your own bikes ta home?

placidfemme
19th October 2006, 10:17
"so busy yadda yadda bullshit... attitude yadda yadda"

not getting my bike back today either...

grrr fucking stupid bike.....

*going home now*

MSTRS
19th October 2006, 10:20
Be glad you have tomorrow up your sleeve. If you lived in HB (Hawkes Bay - lol) you'd (and so would the shop) be on holiday. And that'd be your long w/e fucked

placidfemme
20th October 2006, 08:17
Be glad you have tomorrow up your sleeve. If you lived in HB (Hawkes Bay - lol) you'd (and so would the shop) be on holiday. And that'd be your long w/e fucked

True... but I don't see how it can take 3 days to fix a slipping clutch and sqeaking break... its not like he has to order any parts...

placidfemme
20th October 2006, 12:57
*sigh* Ok now it looks like I'm picking the bike up tomorrow...

Oh... and he thinks the clutch problem might be because some clasp/screw/hook/thingy/or something that goes into the engine is chipped and may need to be replaced... apparantly second hand they are hard to find and brand new cost a lot...

why does that not surpirse me one bit?

crashe
20th October 2006, 13:50
and they even charged me for indicators that I SUPPLIED... but I let that slip... I may bring it up if they want to charge me for the brakes...

What they charged you for new indicators that you had already supplied...
Nup that aint good enough....... deduct that from any ongoing price..

Do not let that slip.......

placidfemme
20th October 2006, 13:56
What they charged you for new indicators that you had already supplied...
Nup that aint good enough....... deduct that from any ongoing price..

Do not let that slip.......

Yeah I'll mention it to the new guy who's working on my bike... but the worksheet is at home so i have no proof to back em up right now (if i'm lucky enough to pick it up today that is)...

I let it slip with the old mechanic because he picked my bike up for free... (usually $40... and he got a speeding ticket when he left my place... not my fault I know... but he was a good guy)

skidMark
20th October 2006, 14:30
your new clutch lever could be set wrong...they have a numbered dial... if thats in the wrong position it won't release the clutch fully

or your cable is kinked or just needs lubing up :)

placidfemme
20th October 2006, 14:31
your new clutch lever could be set wrong...they have a numbered dial... if thats in the wrong position it won't release the clutch fully

or your cable is kinked or just needs lubing up :)

Yeah... it has the numbers on the lever, and I set it to "3" like the old lever, assuming that would be fine...

I'm hoping it is something as simple as that, otherwise it'll cost me more... and I've already spent nearly the full value on the bike just fixing it :(

sefer
23rd October 2006, 23:21
My ZXR did the exact same thing after I had the engine done. In the end it was solve by adjusting the cable (I had replaced much of the clutch and not thought to re-adjust the cable).

If it does turn out you need a clutch part find out what it is and give me a PM, I've still got almost an entire clutch here (sans basket which I broke).

imdying
24th October 2006, 07:07
your new clutch lever could be set wrong...they have a numbered dial... if thats in the wrong position it won't release the clutch fullyThat's a lever span adjuster, and nothing to do with the clutch travel/play adjustment.

placidfemme
24th October 2006, 09:47
Hey, thanks all for your help...

Got my bike back on Saturday morning... clutch fixed... was just the adjustment that was the problem...

And the brakes are not sqeaking anymore either :) He had to replace my left caliper with a new (Second hand) one, so thats all good...

MSTRS
24th October 2006, 10:03
Hey, thanks all for your help...

Got my bike back on Saturday morning... clutch fixed... was just the adjustment that was the problem...

And the brakes are not sqeaking anymore either :) He had to replace my left caliper with a new (Second hand) one, so thats all good...

Shall I? Shan't I? Oh, what the hell....Told you so!!
The squeaky brake must have been a sticky piston in the left caliper (from sitting so long). Did you retain the old caliper? Cos they are easy to fix, and then you'd have a spare for the future.
:sunny:

placidfemme
24th October 2006, 10:06
Shall I? Shan't I? Oh, what the hell....Told you so!!
The squeaky brake must have been a sticky piston in the left caliper (from sitting so long). Did you retain the old caliper? Cos they are easy to fix, and then you'd have a spare for the future.
:sunny:

lol yes you were right :) But now I know for future reference :)

Yes I got the old caliper back when I picked the bike up... I didn't get a chance this weekend to clean my bike or the parts, but it's looking good :) I'm gonna have all sorts of parts to sell with the bike lol

skidMark
31st October 2006, 14:48
That's a lever span adjuster, and nothing to do with the clutch travel/play adjustment.

has alot to do with it actually

if you set it to start pulling too late you won't get the clutch all the way released etc.

aff-man
31st October 2006, 15:39
Why the hell did you buy another calliper??? I rebuilt mine the other month (as you know) and it would have saved you some dosh...

As for the bike shop behaviour.... well I told ya so.

When you get your 600 buy a hanes manual and start doing some of the work yourself. It'll save you money and a lot of aggrivation. And they won't find as many things wrong with it.

imdying
31st October 2006, 16:57
has alot to do with it actually

if you set it to start pulling too late you won't get the clutch all the way released etc.Nope, not so. There is sufficient adjustment in the two actual adjusters to correctly adjust the cable to that works correctly on the smallest span adjustment setting.

That numbered adjuster is the span adjuster, it was nothing to do with adjusting the clutch cable. Period.

skidMark
31st October 2006, 17:54
Nope, not so. There is sufficient adjustment in the two actual adjusters to correctly adjust the cable to that works correctly on the smallest span adjustment setting.

That numbered adjuster is the span adjuster, it was nothing to do with adjusting the clutch cable. Period.

it does not adjust the cable itself correct.

but it adjust lever position and if it doesn't kick in till late when you want to pull the clutch lever inwards it can hit the bar before the clutch is completely free

i would know i kind of own one and have like 3 dead levers on my desk

imdying
31st October 2006, 18:12
but it adjust lever position and if it doesn't kick in till late when you want to pull the clutch lever inwards it can hit the bar before the clutch is completely freeYes, I had one when they were a bit newer. You should be recommending to people to adjust the cable properly. Even it were to 'fix' the problem, all you've done is compound the original problem, by hiding it with another.

skidMark
31st October 2006, 18:19
Yes, I had one when they were a bit newer. You should be recommending to people to adjust the cable properly. Even it were to 'fix' the problem, all you've done is compound the original problem, by hiding it with another.

you just fried 2 of my 3 brain cells

imdying
31st October 2006, 18:37
you just fried 2 of my 3 brain cellsDon't worry about it mate, cables were a big part of my job when I left school :rockon: :scooter: