PDA

View Full Version : Rum, Sodomy and the Lash

Paul in NZ
21st October 2006, 15:31
Well after arse raping my bank account to finish my Triumph project I needed the rum to console myself about the engines inability to maintain valve clearances on the timing side inlet.... (kept opening up) and I was indulging in some severe self flagellation.

It's heading into uni exam time and I proof read the girls essays and help with other stuff plus what with working and Vicki being away there not been much time for anything other than feeling sorry for myself...

This afternoon I found mr spanner and off came the tank (again)...

feck - one of the fecking lash caps (brand new, specially fitted, went to a great deal of trouble over lash caps) has a dirty great depression wearing away on the top.... aaarrgghhh...

Of course this explains why I could not get an accurate set with a feeler guage and it sounded 'odd'.... dammit.... Sigh.... I have a spin on filter in the return sude so I'll keep changing oil and filters for a few 100km and we should be sweet but really - this is an underhand blow from mr lash cap...

Paul N

Paul in NZ
21st October 2006, 17:05
Buy something Japanese that doesn't need to see a set of spanners from one decade to the next...

Either that or just sell the poxy things and give it up altogether - still seriously considering that option too.....

Motu
21st October 2006, 17:09
feck - one of the fecking lash caps (brand new, specially fitted, went to a great deal of trouble over lash caps) has a dirty great depression wearing away on the top.... aaarrgghhh...

Do we have different terminology or have you got something special I don't know about with that motor?..??

Ixion
21st October 2006, 17:37
Wozza lash cap? I thought I knew all the bits in a Meridan Triumph on first name terms - even "take off y'r panties" terms. But I never heard of a lash cap.

Paul in NZ
21st October 2006, 20:15
Nothing new here folks - Pretty 'normal'. Shorten the stems enough to fit lash caps to accurately set valve geometry. Little 'hats' wot sit on top of the valves to stop the dreaded Triumph 'hammering' effect. It's a disposable alternative to mushroom headed tappets.... The little buggers are supposed to be harder than the cantab front row - well 3 of them were... (Pissed off) Bit's of fecking lash cap everywhere.... aaarrgghh!!!

(sigh)

The nice - valves I got from the us of a are pretty good but lash caps are the muts nuts for a long life on the valves - or supposed to be. Fecking heck - this rebuild has been.... well lets just say - my liver is distended.

Oh well....

Nice of you to notice gents.... If I get it up your way you should take it for a berl - valve noise aside - she is a sweet engine.

Motu
21st October 2006, 20:42
Like a B31 - they had little hardend caps over the valve ends.....made the exhaust a rotator too I think.I used to grind down Bedford 300 caps.I have seen 5TA valve ends so worn they were like a little egg cup - but as most people set the tappets doing the 1/8 th turn trick it never affected the clearance.The ends of my Pajero vavles were eaten into as well after 70,000km,and as they are only $8 each I replaced them.....but why?..?

Paul in NZ
21st October 2006, 21:31
Like a B31 - they had little hardend caps over the valve ends.....made the exhaust a rotator too I think.I used to grind down Bedford 300 caps.I have seen 5TA valve ends so worn they were like a little egg cup - but as most people set the tappets doing the 1/8 th turn trick it never affected the clearance.The ends of my Pajero vavles were eaten into as well after 70,000km,and as they are only $8 each I replaced them.....but why?..?

Mine looked like a soup bowl after 500 miles

terbang
22nd October 2006, 09:01
Seen them on old Bedford engines and, I think, Alice Chalmers. They are there to allow the exhaust valves to rotate.

James Deuce
22nd October 2006, 10:21
He means Allis, and lets not start on Arlo fucking Guthrie. Over rated. Mildly amusing at best.

Richard Mc F
25th October 2006, 21:45
Seen them on old Bedford engines and, I think, Alice Chalmers. They are there to allow the exhaust valves to rotate.

Oh god ......dragging my sorry ass back into the realm of english motor lorry & motor engineeee:puke: eering..:sick: pommy diesels :slap: worked on them for:whocares: :doh: .... now I have a ducati..:bleh: ...slow learner

Lash caps fit on top of the valve stem with clearance to the collets retaining the valve, they are only there to allow full rocker contact , the ones that extend exhaust valve life are "rotator" caps, these are set to contact the collets with a specified clearance betwixt stem and cap, this unloads the valve stem slightly allowing it to rotate, I recon this was part of the design philosophy, direct injection, tight valves = good cold starts on a diesel.

Motu
25th October 2006, 22:36
Oh god ......dragging my sorry ass back into the realm of english motor lorry & motor engineeee:puke: eering..:sick: pommy diesels :slap: worked on them for:whocares: :doh: .... now I have a ducati..:bleh: ...slow learner

Lash caps fit on top of the valve stem with clearance to the collets retaining the valve, they are only there to allow full rocker contact , the ones that extend exhaust valve life are "rotator" caps, these are set to contact the collets with a specified clearance betwixt stem and cap, this unloads the valve stem slightly allowing it to rotate, I recon this was part of the design philosophy, direct injection, tight valves = good cold starts on a diesel.

The 300 petrol had caps and exhaust rotators,the 330 diesel had them by extention of design.Working at General Foods in the '70's if I removed all my Bedford experiance I'd have no brain to work with....

Kickaha
26th October 2006, 17:40
Speaking of which, - what prissy mod removed my "Alice, who the f... is Alice?" post????

Or did I just dream of posting such cutting wit?:innocent:

This prissy mod did

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/announcement.php?f=70

This is a technical forum only so no drivel will be tolerated.

Do not complain if you find your posts deleted unless you believe it had technical value.

Richard Mc F
29th October 2006, 21:50
Working at General Foods in the '70's if I removed all my Bedford experiance I'd have no brain to work with....

Like wise...New Zealand Co-op dairy company, tk's with 381's 466's 500's,:sick: leyland 400's, Atkinson Borderers with NH220 Cummins, 6LX & 6LXB Gardeners,:love: :love: ERF's with 8LXB Gardeners,:love: :love: :love: nissans with Japanese 6/71 copies,:gob: Merceedes Benz LK1924 :love: :love: :love: ooooohhhhhh, great training for Ducati ownership !!!!.

I worked with a guy Graham Johns who was at general foods for a while, ring any bells ?

TLDV8
29th October 2006, 23:20
ooooohhhhhh, great training for Ducati ownership !!!!.

I can't think of anything that compares to a Beveldrive. :laugh:

Brian d marge
30th October 2006, 02:24
I can't think of anything that compares to a Beveldrive. :laugh:

Very agreed ,,, Btw are you allowed to post naughty picutes such as that on a public forum ( kmmmm readers wives )

Stephen