PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with my bike???

Monorail
26th October 2006, 16:41
Hi Guys,
My motor keeps cutting out while I'm riding. I used to be able to crash start it while it was still moving, but now it won't even let me do that. I'm getting a bit concerned as it's a real pain in the ass. any ideas on what it could be. Too poor to take it to a mechanic.
Cheers,
Matt

98tls
26th October 2006, 16:46
First guess would be electrical....something breaking down when hot.....

Monorail
26th October 2006, 16:47
First guess would be electrical....something breaking down when hot.....

that is what my mate said, or the carburater. I'm not very mechanically mided, oil changing is my limit. I was cab and said it was a kick start so it wouldn't have electrics

slimjim
26th October 2006, 17:25
that is what my mate said, or the carburater. I'm not very mechanically mided, oil changing is my limit. I was cab and said it was a kick start so it wouldn't have electrics

:dodge: matey, all things have electric's, yup even one's with a kick start, :yes: :yes: , yea may pay to see if a new coil might be required, unsure as of how old your bike is, and what other manitance you have done, spark plug?

Monorail
26th October 2006, 18:33
:dodge: matey, all things have electric's, yup even one's with a kick start, :yes: :yes: , yea may pay to see if a new coil might be required, unsure as of how old your bike is, and what other manitance you have done, spark plug?

it's a 1982 gs125, don't know service hiostory, do know that it was owned by a motorcycle firm a year ago but that is all

xwhatsit
26th October 2006, 18:54
Is it cutting out when idling, or cutting out while it's under power? If it's just cutting out under idle, the mixture may be too lean/rich/whatever and it misses from time to time and doesn't have enough momentum to keep turning over at idle low rpm.

If it's cutting out during idle, you'll probably need to tune in the carb, but as a short term fix you might be able to raise the idle speed. Look for a big knob on the carb to turn, raise the idle up until it feels a bit more secure and not like it's about to die. However this is only short term and you'll need to sort out something eventually.

If it's cutting out under power then I have no clue... electrical, I would guess.

Good luck.

Monorail
26th October 2006, 19:22
Is it cutting out when idling, or cutting out while it's under power? If it's just cutting out under idle, the mixture may be too lean/rich/whatever and it misses from time to time and doesn't have enough momentum to keep turning over at idle low rpm.

If it's cutting out during idle, you'll probably need to tune in the carb, but as a short term fix you might be able to raise the idle speed. Look for a big knob on the carb to turn, raise the idle up until it feels a bit more secure and not like it's about to die. However this is only short term and you'll need to sort out something eventually.

If it's cutting out under power then I have no clue... electrical, I would guess.

Good luck.

it is when under power got about 7k revs when it happens

Sketchy_Racer
26th October 2006, 19:26
Matt, If you can get it to my house, I'll be happy to have a look.

-Glen

98tls
26th October 2006, 19:50
sounds like the coil is shitting itself when hot.....first thing though...check your plug lead...worth a shot....

Monorail
26th October 2006, 20:23
my mates dad thinks it mite be a blockage in the fuel filter? he's pretty ckued up with mechanics so I'm taking it to his on the weekend

xwhatsit
27th October 2006, 14:50
That would make sense. Higher RPMs mean more fuel flow, right? And if the fuel filter has a low flow rate then it can't keep up after sustained use and then high RPMs. If not, then something expanding or whatever when it gets hot - electrics or something.

Hope it all works out for you. After a cursory google image search those GS125s look quite interesting bikes.

Paul in NZ
27th October 2006, 15:01
Check it's getting enough fuel.

The tank / carb are probably full of crap so a general clean out and check would be the first step. I'm in Raumati - let me know if I can help.

Paul N

Monorail
27th October 2006, 18:11
Check it's getting enough fuel.

The tank / carb are probably full of crap so a general clean out and check would be the first step. I'm in Raumati - let me know if I can help.

Paul N

hi, thanks for the offer. i mite take you up on it depending on the schedules of myself and my mates dad

andrea
27th October 2006, 21:11
Hi Guys,
My motor keeps cutting out while I'm riding. I used to be able to crash start it while it was still moving, but now it won't even let me do that. I'm getting a bit concerned as it's a real pain in the ass. any ideas on what it could be. Too poor to take it to a mechanic.
Cheers,
Matt

hmmm crash start:crazy: :eek5: :blink: :mellow:

xwhatsit
27th October 2006, 21:52
Lol andrea a crash start is just a bump start. For me to start my bike at all it's a necessity :lol:. All it is, is dropping the clutch while you're moving in gear, so you're using your momentum as a starter motor. Jumping onto the saddle at the same time as dropping the clutch can prevent locking the rear wheel. I assume that's where it gets the name `crash' from - `crashing' onto the saddle as you drop the clutch.

Monorail
28th October 2006, 08:39
Lol andrea a crash start is just a bump start. For me to start my bike at all it's a necessity :lol:. All it is, is dropping the clutch while you're moving in gear, so you're using your momentum as a starter motor. Jumping onto the saddle at the same time as dropping the clutch can prevent locking the rear wheel. I assume that's where it gets the name `crash' from - `crashing' onto the saddle as you drop the clutch.

i had always refered to it as push start, but my mate said push starting is for cars, crash start is for bike

andrea
28th October 2006, 13:35
lol yeah i know what you mean;) i used to do it with my car, when i was park facing down the hill that is LOL, just never heard it called a crash start lmao:nya: :rofl: :rofl: