PDA

View Full Version : My bike - the diagnosis

R6_kid
27th October 2006, 11:55
As many of you know my bike has been suffering from a worn 2nd gear lately. Well it's been in the shop since tuesday and since the engine has been removed the following things have been discovered.

2nd gear selector is warn
gear selector return springs warn
multiple gear kogs slightly warn
2nd gear selector fork worn
Carb needles worn (dodgy dynojets with a good 40k on them)
possible wear to needle seats in the carbs (complete replacement of carbs)
swingarm bearings worn

So far i'm looking at about $420 in parts, plus labour, aswell as the purchase of a second hand gearbox, and possibly but hopefully not a second set of carbs too.

merv
27th October 2006, 12:18
So is it old with big km's or prematurely warn?

kiwifruit
27th October 2006, 12:20
i hope it doesn't turn out to be overly expensive for you man

Motu
27th October 2006, 14:03
What's the difference between a 2nd gear selector and a 2nd gear selector fork?

Ixion
27th October 2006, 14:25
2nd gear selector fork is obvious. 2nd gear selector? Not sure, but I'm guessing wear on the snaily cam thing wozzit (sorry, to use such technical terms) that waggles the aforesaid fork ? Maybe . Or not.

sAsLEX
27th October 2006, 14:26

One is warn and one is worn! Cant you read Motu?

Flyingpony
27th October 2006, 14:30
Wouldn't one be the disk with knobs that engages into the gear and the other the fork which moves it?

Why is your 2nd gear worn?
Shouldn't other gear combos be also worn?

sAsLEX
27th October 2006, 14:35
Why is your 2nd gear worn?
Shouldn't other gear combos be also worn?

Trying to stomp in to second after lifting a wheelie in 1st maybe.........

ManDownUnder
27th October 2006, 14:45

One's forked - the other's only worn...

Motu
27th October 2006, 14:50
One is warn and one is worn! Cant you read Motu?

:slap: So the 2nd gear selector gets a verbal,or does it have to be a written warn to effect a repair?

R6_kid
28th October 2006, 13:43
Trying to stomp in to second after lifting a wheelie in 1st maybe.........

that, but it was raced before i got it. Add on the fact that it has 56,000km on it and yeh, shes had a hard life.

Umm with the selector fork one is warn, the selector gear(?) (there are two parts to "second gear", one is in contact with the selector fork and the other locks into a drive kog (from memory) the bits that lock the two together are warn... thats what i mean. I'll put pics up when i get the bits back so you can all have a look and see what i mean.

Was stoked to find out about the carbs (although not looking forward to it if it becomes worst possible situation) because i thought that the bike was low on power and it had developed a flat spot just above 3k, turned out it was running rich thanks to the worn needles. So when i get it back i'll have a fully functioning gearbox and some extra kick too - Bring on the november trackday!

R6_kid
30th October 2006, 19:24
ok, well parts were ordered today with a 3 day max shipping wait - that means no bike till sometime next week...

:gob: :bye: :shutup: :no: :crybaby:

slowly starting to lose composure.

Brett
30th October 2006, 19:29
ok, well parts were ordered today with a 3 day max shipping wait - that means no bike till sometime next week...

:gob: :bye: :shutup: :no: :crybaby:

slowly starting to lose composure.

SOrry to hear bout the diagnosis bro, at least she will be a minter once it is all done!