PDA

View Full Version : Rg-150 - AETC (again)

ZorsT
28th October 2006, 09:37
Finally got around to taking the barrel off the busted bike,
Piston shows no sign of being touched by anything :third:
rings are still well within spec :second:
the photo shows the part of the barrel that the powervalves slide in and out of :gob:

Should I fill that hole with some sort of gas welding rod, and then sand the bastard back? :shit:

many thanks :innocent:
photo here... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=803527&postcount=21022

bumsex
7th November 2006, 17:12
I would not weld it if I were you as welding will concentrate heat in one area, potentially damaging (warping) the barrel. Also, is that barrel not of alloy construction? you would have to really know what you are doing before touching it with the torch/rod.
Heat cycles (unnatural heat cycles such as that of a gas torch) will also alter the molecular structure of the metal. If it is possible to do this (welding) I imagine that you would have to heat the whole barrel to a specified temp, weld, then control its cooling rate.

Somthing best left to someone that knows what they are doing.

ZorsT
7th November 2006, 19:24
hadn't thought of that.

I think i'll just get some sand paper on it, and take the bad edges off it. Theres only movement there when they open and close, which is not very often

nsrpaul
18th November 2006, 20:13
seen worse than that in service, just sand it, but only enough so that the valves move nice and smooth, if a get get to much play it will cause all sorts of grief, give us a shout if a need any help or details

Tim 39
28th November 2006, 19:55
hhmmmmm yea this would have to be the most common problem with those, annoying and very expensive sometimes!!! a wee hint though, if you keep them clean and running smoothly (check regularly) they can be ok. Probably not even related to what you were asking but some advice how to avoid problems in this area