PDA

View Full Version : Honda 600 F4i Help....IN AFRICA :(

v.ros`
3rd November 2006, 18:52
Hello boys..

I got a slight problem and I dont know any bike mechanics here in Zambia, thus who better to turn to then good Kiwi folks :)

ok.. now that i have made u all feel special... here is my problem :

My bike seem to get cut off quite often once im riding and changing gear down while slowing... once im stop, it just dies. I have a feeling that my idle is really low and have got no idea where to change it... can someone like show me thru a picture of a bike where exactly i can increase my idle rev ??

Thanx..

Yunus

JimO
3rd November 2006, 19:09
i cant help you mate but there will be someone along soon who knows

marty
3rd November 2006, 20:13
they'll be here soon i'm sure......

Drum
3rd November 2006, 20:43
If it really is your idle, then there will be a small, probably plastic, knob near the carburettor which will adjust the idle. Twist the throttle while looking at the carbie (s) and see what moves - the knob will be somewhere nearby.

Thats if it is the idle.

Have a read here............

http://www.dansmc.com/carbs.htm

Posh Tourer :P
3rd November 2006, 22:11
Errr... doesnt F4i mean injected and thus no carb??? Perhaps it is a fuel flow problem - does it do it on a full tank?? Also if you are in Africa, what is the quality of fuel you are getting? It may be dirty and clogging up the fuel tap. Also try cleaning your air filter if you have loads of crap in there.... (tank off and dig the dormouse nest out of the airbox...)

Will
3rd November 2006, 22:11
If your bike hasn't changed much since my model (1999 600 FX) the idle is found on the right when sitting on the bike.It is a little black knob. It is tucked underneath, just where the seat and tank met, somewhat behind the frame and the rear brake resevoir hides it too. With mine, I need a screw driver to adjust it.
Hope that is of some help.

v.ros`
5th November 2006, 15:53
Thank you for all your help

Well I am in africa and the fuel is def not as cleaner as in NZ but there aint nothing much i can do bout it unless someones wanna DHL me some gas :D

ok so it could be the fuel , Posh Tourere, it does also happen when its a full tank.

My idle is around 500 rpm ! One dude over here told meh its low and thats why it keeps cutting off. BTW Im using UNLEADED GAS here as thats the better one . All GAS stations have most LEADED but at the same price (Unlike in NZ, where leaded is expensive) like the UNLEADED.

I will try and remove my fairings to see the blank knob. Would anyone have a link or a e-copy of the F4i Manual ? 2001 Honda cbr 600 model ?

Regards

placidfemme
6th November 2006, 08:28
hey man... off topic I know... but did your brother like the bike?

Posh Tourer :P
8th November 2006, 20:49
You shouldnt need to take the fairings off to adjust the idle, but yes, that is low. If you do go to taking fairing off, I would clean your air filter too while you are working - that (if it is really blocked) can lower idle and make the engine very laboured.....

cowpoos
9th November 2006, 09:10
check the side stand switch isn't loose....the switch doesn't let you start the bike in gear....

slimjim
9th November 2006, 12:19
also when was the fuel filter changed, ............ would have thought idle speed of about 900

98tls
9th November 2006, 12:28
If the bike is injected as per the i then it will still have a fast idle lever for starting surely...just leave that pulled down a bit will increase your idle speed..somewere else i am sure there will be a seperate idle adjuster.Also wondering if different levels of elevation will have an effect on how bike runs...seem to remember reading about a guy doing a trip out the back of beyond on a TLs that had some problems.......

_intense_
13th December 2006, 21:09
dude, there is a haynes scan some where on line if you search this site there a link (cant find it right now its here somewhere) i have the same model, yeah its def injected, sounds liek a fuel supply issue, go with cleaning out the filter, also i think the idle should be a wee bit higher than 500, oncee warmed up?