PDA

View Full Version : FXR to RG conversion?

jeremysprite
5th November 2006, 14:41
Has anyone put an rg/v engine into an fxr frame etc? would it fit? aside from an oil box, what extras do you need to make the rg engine run in an fxr frame?

imdying
5th November 2006, 14:56
Why would you bother?

jeremysprite
5th November 2006, 16:21
to make mah fxr faster. I like my fxr, but want it to go faster. It's just like the people who want to turbo their zxr's. They love them, but want them to go faster.

Sketchy_Racer
5th November 2006, 16:24
It could be done, But the cost of it wouldn't be worth it.... Just buy a RG150 and be done with it :yes:

Good luck if you decide to do the swap

JeremyW
5th November 2006, 16:54
Yea not worth it dude. Just get an Rg150. They are more stable and better handling bikes anyway. FXR's were never made to go fast, RG's were (well relatively...)

Plus the RG's except for their horrible paint jobs look a lot better than the FXR's.

Remember that you have to go from oil cooled to water cooled so there is not only engine mounts but radiador mounts, fairing modifications etc etc. Not worth it.

imdying
5th November 2006, 20:57
It's just like the people who want to turbo their zxr's.Mmmmm, they're misguided too. The poor old FXRs suspension and brakes aren't up to going faster, and RG and RGV motors already have nice homes to live in (i.e. their respective original frames). All you'll end up with is a worse RG/RGV and a lot of money wasted. What you really need, is to learn some patience. You won't be on the FXR forever... start saving your money now and your next bike could be a real gem :yes:

Kickaha
5th November 2006, 21:17
The poor old FXRs suspension and brakes aren't up to going faster,

Same brakes on both bikes, to much effort, for to little gain though

jeremysprite
6th November 2006, 14:17
You won't be on the FXR forever... start saving your money now and your next bike could be a real gem :yes:

Umm.. I've got $0, once I finish school I have to work to pay for course fees next year ($3500), and then I'll be unemployed basically, or working just for food etc.

So if I get another bike, it'd be a miracle.
Sorry to be yet ANOTHER learner rider who doesn't have the patience to wait his time, save up, and get a nice bike.

P.S. Didn't know that the RG and FXR were that different in terms of suspension/wheels etc, but it does make sense...

JeremyW
6th November 2006, 15:42
P.S. Didn't know that the RG and FXR were that different in terms of suspension/wheels etc, but it does make sense...

Get on an Rg and you will know :)

Wellyman
6th November 2006, 15:51
Its unlikely you will find a five hundy motor still running, very little in NZ. their is a RG500 riders club. may pay to talk to them.
PM if you are intrested in getting the phone numbers of the club president, he may be able to help you.
WM

Ixion
6th November 2006, 16:41
Eeek. Rg500 in aan FXR150 frame? eeeekkkkk :eek:

imdying
6th November 2006, 16:43
Eeek. Rg500 in aan FXR150 frame? eeeekkkkk :eek:
Heh that'd be comedy gold :lol:

Right mate, you're gonna have to do what the rest of us did. Harden up, get a part time job, work hard at that and school, suffer with no social life for a while, and then get a new ride :yes:

Sounds like a prick, and it is, but the rewards are worth it :yes:

jeremysprite
6th November 2006, 19:59
Lol doing all of those atm, (cept for maybe the harden up bit)

Well that's idea #27 in Make The FXR Go Faster book out the door, lol.

JS, trying to harden up.

imdying
7th November 2006, 21:16
Good things come to those who wait mate :) Think of it this way, plenty of guys without a ride at all!

STORKEN
31st December 2006, 01:14
Swap my RG150, Purple 35K tidy

elle-f
31st December 2006, 13:53
We have an RG150 and it's a quick little thing!