PDA

View Full Version : RF900 owners looking for big horsepower gains?

riffer
6th November 2006, 15:04
According to the RF Owners Mailing List, these are the way to go.

The 1992 GSX-R750 camshafts are a drop-in fit, unlike the later years which require 1/4 " shaved off the ends.

They have higher lift and longer dwell time than the RF ones and result in a good 20 horsepower gain, according to members on the list, bringing horsepower up to 1992 GSXR-1100 levels (135RWHP).

There's some on trademe at the moment. I'd love to get them but this close to Xmas there's children's pressies to think of.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Performance/auction-76034869.htm

Buster
6th November 2006, 15:20
Yeah they make a huge difference. Ill have a look around but I might have thrown the dyno charts out by now. I felt like it had as much torque as the 1100. Didnt they come as standard on RFs from the canadian market or something?

ManDownUnder
6th November 2006, 15:23
must... resist...

... watchlist...

riffer
6th November 2006, 15:48
Yeah they make a huge difference. Ill have a look around but I might have thrown the dyno charts out by now. I felt like it had as much torque as the 1100. Didnt they come as standard on RFs from the canadian market or something?

Nope. Even the highest power spec RF's didn't have the power these cams can give.

ManDownUnder
6th November 2006, 16:05
Nope. Even the highest power spec RF's didn't have the power these cams can give.

fuckiddy fuck fuck fuck...

Colapop
6th November 2006, 16:14
Chain, sprockets, tyres, ... gots to do other stuff first... :cry: :cry:

geoffm
6th November 2006, 18:37
All else fails. if you can get the lift and duration of the cams, you should be able to get the stock ones built up and ground to the GSXR spec. I would look for a 2nd hand set of RF cams to send away...
Franklin Cams and Kelford Camtech are 2 places that do that sort of thing.
Geoff

riffer
6th November 2006, 21:31
Great. More temptation. :weep:

Sometimes I wish I had unlimited funds to spend on bikes.

At least my bike is clean for the first time in yonks. Goes much better with all that nasty road spooge gone.

Grahameeboy
6th November 2006, 21:33
I had a Canadian Spec 98 RF. All I did was add an ignition advancer and a K&N and there was a significant difference.
Plus handling needs to be sorted to if you are gonna increase power. I put in heavier front springs and revalved rear shock with an Ohlins spring.

riffer
6th November 2006, 21:33
Chain, sprockets, tyres, ... gots to do other stuff first... :cry: :cry:

Col - did you give Mac at Maidstone Yamaha a call regarding that chain and sprockets?

riffer
6th November 2006, 21:34
I had a Canadian Spec 98 RF. All I did was add an ignition advancer and a K&N and there was a significant difference. Plus handling needs to be sorted to if you are gonna increase power. I put in heavier front springs and revalved rear shock with an Ohlins spring.

I've thought about this. Where did you get the ignition advance?

It's intersting what you say about the suspension though. I'm not sure if my RF's had work done but the handling's not too bad at all. I certainly wouldn't want to go any stiffer in the front end and the preload's set at about middle (3 lines visible). And the back is pretty stiff too.

I must ride a couple of other RF's back-to-back for a comparison.

Grahameeboy
6th November 2006, 21:36
I've thought about this. Where did you get the ignition advance?

It's a Suzuki part - from Colemans. Cannot remember price - possibly $60.

With my SV I got the plug in type and has made a big difference too.

Colapop
7th November 2006, 09:14
Col - did you give Mac at Maidstone Yamaha a call regarding that chain and sprockets?
Not yet. I have a couple of other more pressing bills to sort first.

Fishy
7th November 2006, 09:38
Could always spray a load of silicone on the seat, makes the bike feel a lot faster. :niceone:

ManDownUnder
7th November 2006, 09:43
Could always spray a load of silicone on the seat, makes the bike feel a lot faster. :niceone:

I get the same effect after a night on the curry.... or overcooking a corner just a little.

emaN
7th November 2006, 11:19
Like the sound of that, riffer!!
Anything that'll help me keep up with/catch gixxers (750s, that is) on the Taupo straight has got to be good!

riffer
7th November 2006, 11:50
Let me know how you go if you get them.

I'm thinking those cams, 4° advance key, freeflow exhaust and a couple sizes up in the main jets you'll be hauling 250 down that straight easy.

Just remember that the RF900, although having the GSXR1100 crank and case doesn't have the GSXR1100 clutch or gears.

Those who've done this in the States have mentioned excessive wear on second gear and clutch due to the irrepressible urge to lift the front end in 2nd gear...

emaN
7th November 2006, 11:52
won't be getting those ones...i've just forked out a small fortune on tyres!

(might be worth having a look-see while i'm in the UK next year, tho)

riffer
7th November 2006, 13:20
Oh well, make sure you pass on that tyre I sent you to someone who desparately needs it then! :yes:

ManDownUnder
7th November 2006, 13:24
Let me know how you go if you get them.

I'm thinking those cams, 4° advance key, freeflow exhaust and a couple sizes up in the main jets you'll be hauling 250 down that straight easy.

Just remember that the RF900, although having the GSXR1100 crank and case doesn't have the GSXR1100 clutch or gears.

Those who've done this in the States have mentioned excessive wear on second gear and clutch due to the irrepressible urge to lift the front end in 2nd gear...

RF900 2nd gear has a known case hardening problem in the 95 and 96 models (from memory). I understand they're good till about 30,000kms, and if it's near there at the time of purchase you really need to ask and see if it's been fixed yet.

Now I mention it though - I can't find anythig online to back that up...

emaN
7th November 2006, 13:44
Oh well, make sure you pass on that tyre I sent you to someone who desparately needs it then! :yes:
for sure! :yes:

yep, heard of that happening too MDU; not experienced any trouble tho. Got mine at 20K miles, and it's been a sweeeeet ride since day one

Colapop
7th November 2006, 14:15
Tyre...? Mine needs a new tyres... Do tell...

riffer
7th November 2006, 15:45
Oh god Col.

I just sent it to Rotorua a couple weeks back...

Where've you been?

Actually (don't laugh) it only has about 2500 kms max in the middle. Heaps on the side though ...

must amend that commuting/squiding ratio...

ManDownUnder
7th November 2006, 15:48
Tyre...? Mine needs a new tyres... Do tell...

PM Loosebruce (if no-one else). He has some reasonably good 2nd hand ones... good enough for me anyway!

Colapop
7th November 2006, 16:51
What?? You've used up all the squid??? Now what will I ride on...

Loosebruce is that stunt guy, isn't he....?p/t