PDA

View Full Version : Biker Chris shows there is life after a heart attack with India trek – but takes the

Bob
10th July 2004, 00:20
Heart attack survivor Chris Swan is to bike across India. He aims to ride a Royal Enfield through southern India. Chris, 47, from Preston, was inspired to undertake the challenge as he recovered from two coronaries. Chris said: "There comes a time in your life when you realise this isn't for ever. There is going to be an end some day and it's time to get up and do something before it's too late."

The above is admirable – shows that if you are determined, you can overcome all sorts of obstacles. But there is a downside. He has to raise £3,200 to allow him to purchase the bike when he arrives in India – so he is asking people to donate money!

As far as I can tell from newspaper articles, he isn’t doing this to raise money for coronary research or to buy medical equipment, so why should people sponsor him?

Seems a bit cheeky to me – what does the board think?

wari
10th July 2004, 00:52
Heart attack survivor Chris Swan is to bike across India. He aims to ride a Royal Enfield through southern India. Chris, 47, from Preston, was inspired to undertake the challenge as he recovered from two coronaries. Chris said: "There comes a time in your life when you realise this isn't for ever. There is going to be an end some day and it's time to get up and do something before it's too late."

The above is admirable – shows that if you are determined, you can overcome all sorts of obstacles. But there is a downside. He has to raise £3,200 to allow him to purchase the bike when he arrives in India – so he is asking people to donate money!

As far as I can tell from newspaper articles, he isn’t doing this to raise money for coronary research or to buy medical equipment, so why should people sponsor him?

Seems a bit cheeky to me – what does the board think?

I HAve two thoughts on this ...

ONe - GOod on him for the innovation ... aaaand so long as he is up front with the fact thatits nota fund raiser for anyone in need other than hisownself ... then people can contribeaut or notas they see fit.

TWo - £3,200 SEems a bit steep just to purchasea Enfield inn India ... maybe that includes his fuel annd accommodation also ?

ONe could argue that thats three thoughts ... :eyepoke:

butt they would be the hairsplitters amonst us eh ...:yeah:

Bob
10th July 2004, 01:10
Just the way my mind works I suppose. To me, if he was doing it to raise money for the hospital that saved his life, or to aide research to help others with a cardiac condition, then it would be fine to ask for money.

But asking people to fund a trip you 'just fancy doing'? Bit 'off' to my way of thinking...

"I fancy building a super-advanced spaceship, based on advanced ion-propulsion theory, to take me to the Crab Nebula. Of course, I will need money to so this - at a loose estimate I reckon I'll need £20,000,000,000,000 - give or take a couple of quid."

Any offers? I thought not... :rolleyes:

wari
10th July 2004, 01:54
iTis cheeky I'll admit adn not something I woulddo ...

butt ...

MAybe I can change ... :doobey:

scumdog
10th July 2004, 10:03
Cheeky bastard!! It'd not like he lost an arm or similar, probably only had a heart murmer or even nothing at all but thought it made a good sob-story.
We all know we are going to die and time is slipping away (unless you're a teenager, that's why so many of them die-go figure!!).

I have this terminal condition called life and I want to cross Antartica on a gold plated Nifty-50, al donations accepted in $100 bills.

Ghost Lemur
10th July 2004, 11:26
He's not the first.

I remember a few years back this chick started a website begging for money so she could get her tits enlarged. iirc she did end up getting enough money.

I personally have no problem with people asking for handouts as long as their honest about it (not claiming to be using it for other reasons). I personally wouldn't give them any money, but then again I don't give to "charities" either.

FROSTY
11th July 2004, 13:21
guys I need a bike to race in Formula 2 and a budget to pay for the running costs.
I will of couse do this in a proffessional manner
all donations to my cause willingly accepted
MR--WT perhaps you could simply donate your bikes?? :bleh: :bleh: