PDA

View Full Version : CCM to close?

Bob
13th July 2004, 03:05
Trail and dual-purpose bike manufactuer CCM is reportedly in administration and is not expected to resume motorcycle production in the near future. Allegedly, most of the staff at the Blackburn factory were made redundant.

The administrators will now seek bids from anyone interested in taking over CCM as a going concern, or - more likely - buying the Blackburn site and perhaps the trademarks or any spares supply business.

toads
13th July 2004, 15:11
Hey
I used to live in blackburn as a kid, didn't know there was a motorbike factory there, it seems factory closures/redundancies are now commonplace all over the world. pretty sad really.

pete376403
13th July 2004, 16:17
Blackburn, Lancashire? Famous for the ten thousand holes?*

*"A Day In The Life" - Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.
yeah I'm bored at work!

riffer
13th July 2004, 16:35
Blackburn, Lancashire? Famous for the ten thousand holes?**"A Day In The Life" - Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.
yeah I'm bored at work!
A wonderful album but not as good as The White Album or Revolver...

Motu
13th July 2004, 17:43
That's sad,but I kinda object to the 'trail bike' tag,CCM started out making balls out motocrossers out of left over BSA parts,that's how I will remember them.

SPman
13th July 2004, 18:48
Is that the firm Foggys Mrs is involved in?

Bob
13th July 2004, 20:00
Is that the firm Foggys Mrs is involved in?

Thats the one - not sure how much they are going to lose on this, but I'm guessing it isn't a tiny sum.

The other thing that is a shame? Supermoto-ing bikes is getting popular - CCM were putting out bikes with purpose-built conversion kits. They were also about the only company I can think of that put out "lower height" models of a few of their bikes, so the class wasn't exclusive to the long-legged out there.

toads
14th July 2004, 15:13
I was talking to a friend and she just bought one of these bikes last week a brand new 150cc trail bike for under $3k, I am impressed with the price, I have never heard of them before this thread , really wierd that she should buy one, she's never owned a bike before but got sick of watching her kids at motox anddecided to join them ( in a motherly manner of course)

moko
14th July 2004, 17:32
CCM dont do 150cc bikes Toad.Their bikes are powered by either the 650 or 400cc Suzuki DR motors,with a 720 big-bore for more kicks.As Motu says they started out making motocross bikes then moved into road-bikes via trail machines.Their Supermoto models are really popular in the U.K. and ironically not long ago they greatly increased their dealer network.I posted a pic up here a while back of their RC30 which had a lot of guys dribbling.they dont deserve to go under having got to grips with issues like build-quality and being a company that actually listened to criticism from road-testers and improving their machines as a result.As far as I know they never made it to N.Z. or Oz,a real shame because your roads are ideal for SM`s.They`d be an ideal company for Suzuki to buy up,with their back-up behind bikes like the RC30 it`d be a world-beater.the one I like is the dual-sport,basically a big trailie/SM depending on which set of wheels you bolt on,simple but good idea.

toads
15th July 2004, 08:14
CCM dont do 150cc bikes Toad.Their bikes are powered by either the 650 or 400cc Suzuki DR motors,with a 720 big-bore for more kicks.As Motu says they started out making motocross bikes then moved into road-bikes via trail machines.Their Supermoto models are really popular in the U.K. and ironically not long ago they greatly increased their dealer network.I posted a pic up here a while back of their RC30 which had a lot of guys dribbling.they dont deserve to go under having got to grips with issues like build-quality and being a company that actually listened to criticism from road-testers and improving their machines as a result.As far as I know they never made it to N.Z. or Oz,a real shame because your roads are ideal for SM`s.They`d be an ideal company for Suzuki to buy up,with their back-up behind bikes like the RC30 it`d be a world-beater.the one I like is the dual-sport,basically a big trailie/SM depending on which set of wheels you bolt on,simple but good idea.

I'll ask her again what the brand is but I'm pretty sure that's what she said, bought it here in Gisborne, I'll check it out and post back.

toads
15th July 2004, 08:46
hmm, :whistle: very embarrassed, it's a cmg, 150cc trail bike, made in japan apparently, I got it wrong, but nevertheless, I think it's a very cheap bike, for a brand new one. It didn't seem right that something should be so cheap coming from england, it's rather a long way to come to little old NZ

NordieBoy
16th July 2004, 20:10
That's sad,but I kinda object to the 'trail bike' tag,CCM started out making balls out motocrossers out of left over BSA parts,that's how I will remember them.

http://motorsport.nelson.geek.nz/dirt/2003-02-09-GoldenBay/ccm-dirt2.jpg

NordieBoy
16th July 2004, 20:14
As far as I know they never made it to N.Z. or Oz,a real shame because your roads are ideal for SM`s.They`d be an ideal company for Suzuki to buy up,with their back-up behind bikes like the RC30 it`d be a world-beater.the one I like is the dual-sport,basically a big trailie/SM depending on which set of wheels you bolt on,simple but good idea.

Golden Bay - 2003

http://motorsport.nelson.geek.nz/dirt/2003-02-09-GoldenBay/ccm-moto2.jpg

Motu
16th July 2004, 20:23
Yeeaahhh,that's the one Nordie,if I remember right the footpegs were welded to the engine cases,I have seen one in the flesh.The Rotax one looks like a real mean sucker too.

moko
17th July 2004, 01:59
I read elsewhere on KB that the Australian licence laws have been changed to allow learners to ride 650`s and SM`s are really popular.Be tragic if CCM fold when they could really crack that market.

moko
17th July 2004, 02:03
Yeeaahhh,that's the one Nordie,if I remember right the footpegs were welded to the engine cases,I have seen one in the flesh.The Rotax one looks like a real mean sucker too.

Years ago BIKE magazine ran an article about a guy in Birmingham who had a street-legal(ish)CCM crosser like the one in Nordie`s top pic.Yellow machine is basically the "Dual-Sport" model that`s still sold except they now have the Suzi DR motors.Biggest problem with the older ones was shit build quality but they`ve really got their act together since then.

Motu
11th August 2004, 23:21
Found this test of a CCM in the day,just had to pluck this shot,damn,I just loved doing that stuff on my Rickman!

http://vmx.livewire.gen.nz/magazine/75CCM500/75CCM500.htm