PDA

View Full Version : Cooling system problem

hurricane_r
20th November 2006, 20:37
hey i just did engine conversion into my bike and engine runs fine,
i just did up cooling system but its a bit weird
the temp gauge is going up down when bike is warm by just moving bike from upright/peg lean

and so its not really giving acurate temp, also how long leave radiator cap off to bleed system

thanks im not know alot about cooling system, anyhelp appreciated

TLDV8
20th November 2006, 20:41
Did you bleed the air out of the system ?...The TL has bleed bolts on the waterpump so it is not just a matter of leaving the cap off sometimes.

Where's your Workshop manual.

hurricane_r
20th November 2006, 20:47
didnt have one :(

TLDV8
20th November 2006, 21:04
didnt have one :(

A manual or a bleed screw/bolt :confused:

Take a look though the Lotsa manuals online... thread at the top of the page.There might be a CBR250 manual online.

I would think if the gauge is doing what its doing then there is air and lots of it... depending on the temp sensor location,thermostat housing or radiator end tank.

hurricane_r
20th November 2006, 21:24
ok i got it, doesnt say anything about how to get air out, only says use pressure tester to check pressure, now i cant get radiator cap off lol :(

Tim 39
26th November 2006, 14:30
sounds to me like the temp gauge is changing when you lean it over, becasue its in the water like it meant to be and when it stands up its not, where's you temp sensor, radiator or head? RS's have an air bleed bolt but just leanin it from side to side and then starting it up gets all the air out, so yours may be the same

hXc
26th November 2006, 14:43
You've gone from a CBR250R engine to a CBR250RR right? Did you just change the engine, or the radiator as well? Because if you just changed the engine, then the 250R radiator, probably won't cope with the 250RR engine.

Don't take the above as the truth, as it is only a wild stab in the dark at what might be the problem.

Sketchy_Racer
26th November 2006, 14:56
the rads should be the same are they not?

hXc
26th November 2006, 16:43
the rads should be the same are they not?I'm not too sure, that's why I said don't take it as truth.

Sketchy_Racer
26th November 2006, 18:23
Even if they aren't. The engines are exactly the same..... So the MC-19 rad should be able to cope no problem.

F5 Dave
27th November 2006, 16:28
Yeah but what about that extra 'R'?

I mean, I wouldn't take the risk.:shutup:

Sketchy_Racer
27th November 2006, 17:28
The extra 'R' fell off in the conversion!

imdying
27th November 2006, 18:15
They're the same motor making the same power and thus creating the same amount of heat to dissipate. No problem using the single R radiator is what I'd put my money on.

F5 Dave
28th November 2006, 09:40
The sarcasm is so thick you could spread it with a knife, however your grammar is worthy so I won't rip any piss.

The temp gauge is a simple ammeter measuring a temperature variable resistor, there is a constant voltage & the thermistor (temp resistor) is the small sensor in the front of the radiator (the big one is the fan switch).

These thermistors take a little time to change temperature so the leaning the bike over change; is likely the gauge has very poor damping, I wouldn't worry about it as long as there is water in the system it should be fine. Most roadbikes are self bleeding, never seen a bleed screw on a multi before.

You may just want to check the connection plug to the thermistor isn't dicky. Perhaps if this was bad it could be moving.