PDA

View Full Version : Rocker cover gasket

special_jimmy
22nd November 2006, 22:20
How hard is it to change a rocker cover gasket on a 91 gsxr1100.
Ive done a few an cars and it's pritty simple stuff, cen i expect anything different from a bike.

Cheers

xwhatsit
22nd November 2006, 22:24
Bikes have rocker cover gaskets? :gob:

Carry on...

special_jimmy
22nd November 2006, 23:09
http://motorcycleproducts.co.uk/catalogue/rocker-cover-gaskets-c-222_432.html

TLDV8
23rd November 2006, 07:03
On a inline engine it will be little different from a car.
The gasket will probably be rubber with a lip to pick up a groove in the cover itself.
There are a few online manuals to check for anything to look out for and get any torque figures..ie..on the CBX1000 if you did not remove the tacho drive before undoing the cover hold down bolts,the cam cap that the drive spigoted into cracked..yikes.
I would think the most time will be getting to the cover on a bike with a fairing.

special_jimmy
23rd November 2006, 09:25
Cheers for that, hunted-around on line but couldn't find anything. Has anyone got a good source, links.

TLDV8
23rd November 2006, 10:13
There might be a link to one in the Sticky at the top of the General Maintenance forum...fwiw

Hmmm... I have a set of forks/triples/clip ons/front guard for a 91 GSXR1100M that have been sitting around for years.

special_jimmy
23rd November 2006, 11:28
Cheers again, cant find a manual. Ill just pull it apart, should be able to figure it out.
Are the forks in good condition, how much do you want for them.

The Pastor
23rd November 2006, 20:23
Yes im a noob but.... what is a rocker cover? Plz don't say "covers the rocker DUH"

Rm

Darkman
23rd November 2006, 20:56
I have the torque settings and instructions for a gsxr400 '91. not sure if it is the same. I am bussy doing mine at the moment. If your bike has that little spill box thing on the top of the cover...do Not remove the screws while rockers cover is still in place!!!

xwhatsit
24th November 2006, 00:29
R_M, the rocker cover is the bit at the very top of your engine. It does indeed cover the rockers; the rockers are the little lever-like things which push down your valves to make them open and shut. Strictly speaking, you don't actually need your rockers covered; but you have a rocker cover to keep the oil in and the dirt out. My simple little aircooled engine has no rocker cover gasket (I just found out), and also the rockers/tappets are actually built into the rocker cover (also called a valve cover).