PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust stuff

slopster
26th November 2006, 19:16
My bad - wrong forum can a moderator delete this
I took my outer can off my exhaust on my zxr 750 today in order to grind and polish some scratches out of it. While the exhaust was off I decided to see how loud the bike was without it. I expected that it would run like shit with no backpressure and all. Well I started it up and it made plenty of noise. I started riding and found it was improved in the bottom end. It normally bogs a bit if I snap the throttle open too fast but instead it would just surge foward and even wheelie without use of the clutch in first (which it doesn't normally do). It felt like it was pulling harder in the mid range but that could have been my mind telling me that loud = fast. I'll be the first to admit that the seat of your pants feeling is hardly an accurate dynomometer. Top end felt about the same with a horrendous amount of noise. Engine braking was much less effective which could be a good or bad thing depending on how you ride. The revs came up much quicker when blipping between gears on the downshifts. Anyway getting to my point does this mean that the bike was running too rich before and what can I do to free the airflow up a bit in a less drastic manner. I was thinking about pulling all the fibre packing stuff out of the can. The exhaust is an aftermarket one of unknown brand (and reasonably loud at the best of times).