PDA

View Full Version : RG150 clutch cable

90s
30th November 2006, 07:16
Hi,
This morning the clutch cable snapped, just behind the locking nut on the lever. I couldn't figure out a way to ride the bike without stalling - once in motion would be OK without clutch but how to come to a stop at lights and continue? Pulling cable end no good ...
Asking as need to get bike to shop to repair.

Alternative - how easy is it to DIY this (at least enough to get it to someone a little better at the adjustment?). In theory should be easy but how simple is it to get the cable itself out from its housing and put new one in - or will a new one come in a new outer cable housing?

Any advice so I can get back onboard asap appreciated,

Cheers

ajturbo
30th November 2006, 08:14
i had the miss fortune of having my clutch cable break in rush hr traffic in wellington... in the rain ... i was lucky that i only got held up on ALL the fuckin lights... to find nutrel was ok... to take off was a ... challenge, but i made it... oh i was riding a cb350/4... got home ok... and got new cable...fixed!..
great help aye!! lol

dhunt
30th November 2006, 09:27
My clutch cable broke a while ago just as I left to go to Palmy which made for an interesting few hours.

What I ended up doing is firstly trying to stop as little as possible. Then if I need to stop I would kill the engine and then when it was time to go just crank the starter while still in first gear and it would take off and we'd carry on. Fortuntelly there wasn't too much traffic so I didn't have to stop to much.

Changing the cable isn't differcult as long as you have some basic tools and a little mechanical ability and confidence other wise take it to the bike shop.

Jeaves
30th November 2006, 10:48
Easy enough to change and adjust yourself , just order a new cable from your local dealer. If ya get stuck and your close enough to me i'll give ya a hand.

90s
30th November 2006, 12:50
Thanks for the info guys and the offer Jeeves - I'll see how I get on. Kill the engine to stop - good idea, although might be a bit of a pain with the kick-start only RG!
Not overly impressed the RG manual cabling diagramme refers to the "chock" & clutch cable .. so might seek grage's help if I can get it there first ...

90s
30th November 2006, 22:07
Hi, bought the cable from Haldane's and fitted it OK. Bit fiddly routing it under the radiator and didn't have any cable ties to tidy up the routing but still was realtively simple.
Thanks for the advice

KLOWN
30th November 2006, 22:58
I have had the clutch cable break on my rg150 while I was on my way to uni. If I had to stop I would put it in neutral and to start it again I found that just rev it up and drop it into gear, the front lifts a small amount but its all good. also you can run along side the bike then drop it into gear and jump on (kinda like crash starting) or "push" the bike while still sitting on the seat, you'll find that as long as you are moving, even slowly, it shouldn't stall when you put it into gear but make sure you give it some revs.

90s
1st December 2006, 07:41
Thanks Klown - next time it snaps I will be a bit braver and do a track-style running start as suggested. Might work on my fitness in preperation!
Cheers