PDA

View Full Version : Major probs....

rapidgamma
4th December 2006, 20:39
I think my rg has split its guts-while riding yesterday died at high revs 12k, , came to stop, tried kick start-no way jose. no movement so i knew some major mech breakdown. opened her up tday spkplug had a tiny piece of metal stuck in there, piston seems to have small bits broken off where it touches cylinder, but cyl surface seems ok,opened valve(?) cover, much gunk and small metal bits like 100's and 1000's. soooo do i now try to take piston out to see if more damage (and then re-mortgage)or do i just send her off to a better place....HELP!

davereid
4th December 2006, 20:53
sheesh... sounds like second mortgage time ! Do the 100s & 1000s look like they made of bits of pistons, bits of rings or bits of both ? Think maybe your engine got a bit light on oil and a bit has come off the top of the piston or maybe a bit of ring as well. Might need a new barrel, piston, rings, big end - who knows. Ixion is yer man ! Good luck :bye:

Ixion
4th December 2006, 20:58
RG150. Sounds like power valves and piston. Definately need to pull the barrel. Piston set is not too dear, pm tonyb on the site. Power valves, ouch oh dear, I think they're about $300 each. Let's hope the bottom end is intact , if that's dead it's new engine time. Pull the barrel off and report what you find. With pics if possible, there's a lot of Rg150 expertise on the site.

rapidgamma
4th December 2006, 21:12
thanks guys-i will have another go tomorrow, expect heaps more stoopid questions from me! I only just started enjoying the little beast.

TLDV8
4th December 2006, 22:15
Don't take it as gospel but i seem to remember Henry at Takanini Motorcycle Wreckers having a new top end for something like an RG150..The price was very reasonable...Sounds like the fuel mixture was lean at the top end and got some detonation.

rapidgamma
16th December 2006, 15:54
i opened the barrel-the piston "skirt" is f...d, thats wah the bits of metal was, barrel surface smooth no damage but i think the bits of piston have gone down into krank, will i have to open that up and how to do this? likely to have caused bottom end damage?

TLDV8
17th December 2006, 16:32
i opened the barrel-the piston "skirt" is f...d, thats wah the bits of metal was, barrel surface smooth no damage but i think the bits of piston have gone down into krank, will i have to open that up and how to do this? likely to have caused bottom end damage?

The crankshaft is a fairly tight fit in the cases (being a two stroke) so you may be lucky as far as damage or limited to a bit of scraping on the case inner surfaces.
The item that offer's the most resistance to removal is the ignition/charging rotor unless the proper tool is used or a low buck version (a bolt) depending on the layout of the engine.Most are on a taper.

With the right tools and workshop manual it will be no problem.

Ixion
17th December 2006, 19:50
Depends on how dangerously you want to live. I've known people (:innocent:) just turn the motor, or whole bike upside down, direct a garden hose down into the crankcase and flush any crap out (turn the engine over quite a few times and waggle the conrod around). Then rinse out well with meths, then petroil. Problem is, if you don't get it all out, the missed bits can do nasty damage to seal or bearings.

Your call.