PDA

View Full Version : Chain singing

mikey62
7th December 2006, 21:42
Since I did the sprockets and chain, the chain sings as it goes over the front sprocket. Was on the motorway passing a truck, had the crash barrier on my right and going under a bridge and boy was the noise loud. Took the sprocket cover off and put the bike on the centre stand and ran it in gear. The chain isn't hitting anything and the inside of the cover isn't scored. Silly question here, but does it matter which the chain travels ? The chain is an EK o-ring one. It was one of the last ones Cycletreads had and it was on the bottom of the shelves (not a good seller huh). Any advice on what could be causing this ? Cheers

Big Dog
7th December 2006, 21:57
Since I did the sprockets and chain, the chain sings as it goes over the front sprocket. Was on the motorway passing a truck, had the crash barrier on my right and going under a bridge and boy was the noise loud. Took the sprocket cover off and put the bike on the centre stand and ran it in gear. The chain isn't hitting anything and the inside of the cover isn't scored. Silly question here, but does it matter which the chain travels ? The chain is an EK o-ring one. It was one of the last ones Cycletreads had and it was on the bottom of the shelves (not a good seller huh). Any advice on what could be causing this ? Cheers
Did you change your sprockets at the same time?
Is it the right chain for the size teeth?

Big Dog
7th December 2006, 21:58
Oh and check you are not to tight.
Or off centre

mikey62
8th December 2006, 06:44
Have checked the straightness (is there such a word) of the tyre and although my eye-crometer is getting on in its years it all looks fairly good. Don't expect an answer on the direction the chain travels but can't think what else it might be, and I've put enough oil on the chain to keep Castrol in business.

Pwalo
8th December 2006, 06:51
Other than the chain being too tight or perhaps loose you shouldn't have a problem. It's strange what noises you hear if riding in certain circumstances, such as your case.

It's interesting to listen to how different bikes sound when they go past you. I've heard some pretty loud chains on Hornet 900s.

frogfeaturesFZR
8th December 2006, 06:55
No tight spots in the chain ?

mikey62
8th December 2006, 07:25
No tight spots in the chain ?

New chain, so shouldn't be. Rain is forcast for Saturday so perfect day to strip it all down (again) and have a good look.

Flyingpony
8th December 2006, 08:57
Have you ridden those roads before?
One always hears some sort of chain echo from nearby objects.

When I had my chain/sprockets replaced last year, all I remember is how suddenly smooth and quiet the ride was. It might have sounded different but after 200km it all settled into it's normal chain sound rhythm. Ride some more. I also suffered from reduced top end speed initially but then the chain loosened up and everything returned back to normal after 50km. Chain brand shouldn't make a difference. I went from RK to KMC, both 428-HD o-ring.

Check for tightness, they might have over done it.

Is this new chain the same size i.e. 428, as the old chain?
Do your sprockets have the same number teeth as last time?
How different are the new sprockets from the old when you compare them? (I'm assuming you kept the old ones).
Was the old front sprocket an OEM with those black plastic padding edges and this new sprocket is an after market without that padding? That might make a difference, it's not as padded as before.

WRT
8th December 2006, 08:57
Be careful running the bike in gear up on the stand, there is at least one person on here that has lost the end of their fingers due to this. There's some rather gruesome pics in a thread on here somewhere.

ALWAYS turn your wheel by hand when working with the chain.

roogazza
8th December 2006, 09:51

My new RK chain has just started to whine after 10,000 kms thought it was the box at first . Surely it can't be stuffed that early ? I probably over oil it if anything. Gaz.

WINJA
8th December 2006, 20:06
Did The Original Front Sprocket Have The Rubber Damper , Bet It Did

Motig
9th December 2006, 08:34
A singing chain ? Well that will pass the time on a long ride if your both in tune. Seriously tho if it checks out OK with all the checks mentioned it shouldn't be a problem. Enjoy ( Is it a song you know the words to ? and in English ?)

mikey62
9th December 2006, 08:58
Did The Original Front Sprocket Have The Rubber Damper , Bet It Did

Didn't do the chain myself. Couldn't budge the dam thing so put into the shop and they did it. If one was there and could be re-used I s'pose they put it back on. They didn't charge me for a new one.

mikey62
9th December 2006, 09:00
A singing chain ? Well that will pass the time on a long ride if your both in tune. Seriously tho if it checks out OK with all the checks mentioned it shouldn't be a problem. Enjoy ( Is it a song you know the words to ? and in English ?)

LOL was waiting for one of these posts. Would be ok if it sounded like Def Leppard :rockon: but its more like Cindy Lauper :sick:

mikey62
9th December 2006, 15:22
Got it sussed. Was using chain oil from a spray can but put some engine oil on and now a LOT quieter. Obviously the can stuff isn't heavy enuf for a 530 chain. Thanks all those that posted.