PDA

View Full Version : Mystery coolant leak

Batcerb
10th December 2006, 17:54
Hi all,

The mighty TLS has over the past day has developed a strange coolant leak. Its fine when its sitting around, but after ive been riding i notice it dripping from what looks to be some sort of hole on the side of one of the covers.

Anyone got any ideas? all the hoses seem fine.

Disco Dan
10th December 2006, 17:58
The first thing that sprang to mind when i read that, was when your engines running the pressures increase.. steam etc in the system... so the extra pressure may be enough for coolant to force it's way out of the weakest point in your system.. i know that doesnt help you find it, but try taking off fairings etc, and running the engine for a while and try and spot the leak. Even cleaning all your hoses and joins etc may allow you to see a problem...

pervert
10th December 2006, 18:52
Not really strange at all...Disco Dan is right, the leak only develops once the pressure in the cooling system builds up enough (due to heat), to force the coolant out.

I'm not familiar with your model bike, but it could be a seal/gasket around the engine somewhere, or even a water pump?

You're probably going to need to take it to a mechanic if you say it's not a hose/clamp or anything obvious...

Brian d marge
10th December 2006, 21:40
baby powder

Use LOTS of it ..just like on a babys bum ..puff it around where you think the leak is ,,then Quick ride

It will show up a soon as

also water falls ,,,, so If you find a leak ..look above it ....

Stephen

What?
11th December 2006, 06:03
99% odds on water pump seals being shagged. Get it fixed asap. The hole will most likely be a drain for when the pump seals die.

TLDV8
11th December 2006, 12:10
99% odds on water pump seals being shagged. Get it fixed asap. The hole will most likely be a drain for when the pump seals die.

:yes:

That weep hole is a passage going up to the cavity between the inner oil seal and water pump seal.

Batcerb
11th December 2006, 16:53
Thanks for the help guys!

Ill be taking her to the doc quick smart. Thats quiet a good idea as far as that drainage port goes.

:doctor: