PDA

View Full Version : Right, GSXR engine dead. Two questions please.

Hans
12th December 2006, 20:58
I'm not a happy chappy right now, because it looks for all in the world like my gsxr750 85 or 86 engine has just s%@t itself. I'm thinking major internal failure of some description, better still I only bought it two wks ago. Anyway, I'll take it out, take the top off and report my autopsy findings and provide photos. And then I'll start asking for advice. If anyone's done one of these engines a PM would be much appreciated. I have a workshop manual for it, but would still appreciate some experience. Thanks, Hans
P.S. I'm thinking bottom end, which is bound to be hideously expensive so if anyone knows of a good supplier other than Suzuki itself, this would also make my plight a bit easier. Cheers

enigma51
12th December 2006, 21:07
Give white trash a pm he might be able to put you in contact with some mechanics in wellington

enigma51
12th December 2006, 21:08
Ps he might not answer you straight back hes a little "busy" at the moment

imdying
13th December 2006, 09:18
I'm guessing from your post on 'lack of oil pressure' that either the oil pump has failed, or at some stage it has been run out of oil, rooted the bearings (which you may see later as low oil pressure), and it has finally given up the ghost.

Either way, expensive, but fixable.

Hans
13th December 2006, 17:43
Autopsy photos should be soon. At least what comes out in the oil.

Hans
13th December 2006, 18:40
Can't even be bothered taking snaps. Not as much as i expected but still yellow bearing metal. Hard metal from internals and a very fine White metal paste on the plug.

Crisis management
13th December 2006, 18:46
Bad luck, I can sympathise as I have had a similar experience with a DR650 bought recently. Great way to lose money!
It may be worth considering a engine swap rather than a repair, there's a GSXR1100 motor on tard me at present and that would make an awesome sports bike.
Just a suggestion, but you need to weigh up the cost of the repair against the bikes value.

:bye: :bye:

Hans
13th December 2006, 19:03
Too right. As I said, I'll strip it and then weigh up the options.