PDA

View Full Version : Coolant overflowing

NinjaNanna
13th December 2006, 08:45
Hi Guys

This morning on the way to work, I was pulled up at the lights and noticed considerable amount of coolant being expelled from the overflow reservoir. The bike was not all that hot, 2/3 the way to the red and the fan had not come on yet.

I am wondering what could be causing such high pressure that it caused the overflow bottle to overflow??? I am confident that it was not too full to start with.

Any ideas?

Cheers

NN

cowpoos
13th December 2006, 08:50
most likely be the rad cap not on propally of it needs replacing coz the springs lost some of its boing!! take it to a shop if your not sure....will take them a few mins to check...

Kwaka14
13th December 2006, 08:54
If it's pulsing out as opposed to a smooth leak then it could be your head gasket leaking from the bore into the water jacket......

NinjaNanna
13th December 2006, 08:58
Unfortunately it was quite bubbly, if that makes any sense, more like air forced into the system than a pressurised leak.

I'm starting to dread head gasket, but will definately be getting the radiator cap checked out first.

Thanks Guys

oldrider
13th December 2006, 09:29
Unfortunately it was quite bubbly, if that makes any sense, more like air forced into the system than a pressurised leak.

I'm starting to dread head gasket, but will definately be getting the radiator cap checked out first.

Thanks Guys

I would say that you are on the way to serious trouble and you need to head it off at the pass.
Because you have had to ask I am assuming you do not have the diagnostic or mechanical ability to remedy the fault so take your bike to your service provider just as quickly as you can.

They will pressure test your cooling system and will be able to identify if you have an leak back from the cylinder heads etc.

If you just keep on riding it you better have a big wallet. Good luck and Cheers John.

NinjaNanna
13th December 2006, 12:21
Well I'm hoping I have escaped this little disaster, I pulled the cap off tested it, it might be a little low so I'll keep that in mind.

Topped up coolant and bled, got up to fan temp and noticed a bit erradic, found one connection was very loose, crimped it up tighter and run for probably fifteen minutes with fan coming on and off (by the way it comes on much earlier than I thought it did).

No repeat of excess fuild coming out of radiator, so I'll keep a close eye on the temp gauge for awhile but hopefully I'll have no further problems.

Cheers for all your input

NN

Whynot
13th December 2006, 12:38
looks like its not an isolated event .....

http://www.sportbikes.ws/archive/index.php/t-55033.html

http://www.classicmotorcycles.biz/classic/kawasaki/thread33.html

NinjaNanna
13th December 2006, 13:21
No seems its not an isolated incident, also got quite a bit of advice from www.zx-9r.net

Another wonderful site just like KB:rockon:

NinjaNanna
15th January 2007, 08:15
Thought I'd just post an update on this problem.

I was noticing that the point at which my fan was coming on seemed very errattic, it would come on at the half way point the first time but each subsequent time it was coming on at a hotter and hotter temp.

So now I've drained and flushed the raditator and I replaced the Thermo Fan Switch. Now I'm confident that it is all sweet, fan comes on at the same temp each time and even seems to stay on longer which is great.

I was also lucky enough to match the switch up with one used in a Honda (cage) at Super Cheap Auto. Triden TFS-036 if anyone needs one for their ZX-9 B model.

Cheers for all the help

NN