PDA

View Full Version : ????? To store and cost of a XV 250 engine (Virago)

crashe
15th December 2006, 14:32
Ok guys and gals......

I have got the opportunity to get a spare engine for about $350 to be stored for use at a later date. It has about 27,000 kms on the clock with no starter motor on it according to the wrecker.

Is $350 a good price for a engine for my bike?

Is there any procedure when changing over engines..... like do I have to VIN it etc etc.

Never done this on a motorbike before.... so all advise is greatly appreciated.

I will be getting the engine Saturday if I go ahead with this deal.

My bike is still running sweet with 94,000kms on the clock.

If I get this engine, what should I do to keep it stored...... so that when the time comes to change engines...... I can do a clean swap.

Cheers for your help and answers.

bistard
15th December 2006, 14:45
Hey,$350.00 is pretty cheap,have you heard it running?
If its not still in a bike,why??
If you change motors,you will need to notify the LTSA,but its not vital,when you sell the bike,the next owner might ask questions,if the numbers dont match
Who would change the engine for you??
If you are to store it,make sure it is upright,has oil in it & you turn the motor over on a regular basis,say once a month at least

crashe
15th December 2006, 14:50
Hey,$350.00 is pretty cheap,have you heard it running?
If its not still in a bike,why??
If you change motors,you will need to notify the LTSA,but its not vital,when you sell the bike,the next owner might ask questions,if the numbers dont match
Who would change the engine for you??
If you are to store it,make sure it is upright,has oil in it & you turn the motor over on a regular basis,say once a month at least

No I havent heard it running at all.
It is sitting at a wreckers at the moment so the bike it came from has been wrecked.

Does it cost anything to change it over via LTSA?

When you say turn it over at least once a month..... how?

I assume that I use good quality oil in it while being stored?

bistard
15th December 2006, 14:57
If you haevnt heard it running,its abit of an unknown
Through LTSA,its only a matter of filling out a form I think?
To turn it over,there will be an inspection plate on the side cover,remove that & there will be a big nut on the of the crankshaft,attach a socket,remove the spark plugs & turn the motor internals over,then put the spark plugs back,or if thats to hard,remove the spark plugs,put it in gear & turn the front sprocket,will take some effort,as you have to turn the crankshaft,move pistons,valves etc

McJim
15th December 2006, 15:09
But you keep going on and on and on about how great your bike is - why would such a wonderful piece of machinery ever need another engine? :rofl:

By your own admission you don't rev the arse of the thing anyway.

I love my VTR250 but wouldn't get a spare angine even if it was going cheap - reason: it's only a 250 - I'll have it another 4 months tops and it had done 3,600km when I bought it and will probably only have done 20,000km by the time I offer it for sale.

Save your money unless you genuinely think you're likely to blow your engine up before you get a big Virago.

My 2c

Postie
15th December 2006, 15:12
are you not thinking of getting a larger bike in the future Crashe? If you are, then I would save your cash for now and not worry about another motor if the one in the bike is still going strong.

crashe
15th December 2006, 15:15
But you keep going on and on and on about how great your bike is - why would such a wonderful piece of machinery ever need another engine? :rofl:

By your own admission you don't rev the arse of the thing anyway.

I love my VTR250 but wouldn't get a spare angine even if it was going cheap - reason: it's only a 250 - I'll have it another 4 months tops and it had done 3,600km when I bought it and will probably only have done 20,000km by the time I offer it for sale.

Save your money unless you genuinely think you're likely to blow your engine up before you get a big Virago.

My 2c

Have you ever meet me...... this bike is the one for me....
Im a shortarse. there is stuff all bikes that I can reach the ground on.

I got it with less than 3,000km on it in 2000 it now has 94,000.

The XV1000 or XV1100 is too heavy for me.
The XV750 is ok..... but impossible to find.
Plus they are all older bikes..... they dont make them no more.
They still make the 250.

yep my bike is great, but I am thinking in the future......

I maintain the bike and she chugs along great....
just did 1550+ kms to Wellington and back last weekend.

crashe
15th December 2006, 15:17
are you not thinking of getting a larger bike in the future Crashe? If you are, then I would save your cash for now and not worry about another motor if the one in the bike is still going strong.

Would love to...... but its the $$$$$$$$$

and same reason as mentioned above to McJim.

sunhuntin
15th December 2006, 21:04
hey crashe, what year is the engine? ive got major rattling in mine [bottom end it sounds like] that is only there if going faster than the selected gear likes [ie, in 4th gear, going 55]
when i get the cash together, im gonna get them to look into it.
what other parts did the wrecker have? any of them would be good to grab, even if you dont need them.

crashe
15th December 2006, 21:12
hey crashe, what year is the engine? ive got major rattling in mine [bottom end it sounds like] that is only there if going faster than the selected gear likes [ie, in 4th gear, going 55]
when i get the cash together, im gonna get them to look into it.
what other parts did the wrecker have? any of them would be good to grab, even if you dont need them.

Shite I forgot to ask what year it was... they reckon it has low KMs.

They got a rear wheel and also a headlight surround (I want that)...
But will have a good look tomorrow when I go in there.
As they may have other little bits and pieces.

Depends on how much they are asking for all the bits...

Hey if you ever break a rear spoke....... contact me as I have a pile of new ones here. Had to buy the complete set when I only needed 4 of them. $120 for the set.

Ok the rattling sound - Is that when you have gone 4 up (5th gear)
at 55km per hour. Drop down a gear for a little while and see if the rev's help the rattle sounds goes away.

sunhuntin
15th December 2006, 21:24
the rattle goes away when i ease up, but come back, no matter the gear, when the engine is overworking [but even 100 can sound like overworking.] id like to get a microphone hooked up to record it, but no clue how.

ill remember about the spokes...they are always handy to have. ive half cleaned the bike from the last trip, and found a few new dents in the exhaust from stones and the like [damnit] but the rest of the bike has held up well.
if theyve got any mirrors, let me know, cos if its gonna keep falling over, id rather use cheapies than buy a new one every time, lol.

sounds like i need to head your way...youve got a good hunting ground up there!

crashe
15th December 2006, 21:33
the rattle goes away when i ease up, but come back, no matter the gear, when the engine is overworking [but even 100 can sound like overworking.] id like to get a microphone hooked up to record it, but no clue how.

ill remember about the spokes...they are always handy to have. ive half cleaned the bike from the last trip, and found a few new dents in the exhaust from stones and the like [damnit] but the rest of the bike has held up well.
if theyve got any mirrors, let me know, cos if its gonna keep falling over, id rather use cheapies than buy a new one every time, lol.

Yep ok will look out for mirrors.....

T.I.E
15th December 2006, 21:43

cam chain? whats the set up on these bikes? or sounding silly but hows ya chain and sprockets?

Waylander
15th December 2006, 21:44
Yep ok will look out for mirrors.....
Several on Ebay and much cheaper than you can get them from the shop. Even with shipping.

T.I.E
15th December 2006, 21:45
Ok guys and gals......

I have got the opportunity to get a spare engine for about $350 to be stored for use at a later date. It has about 27,000 kms on the clock with no starter motor on it according to the wrecker.

Is $350 a good price for a engine for my bike?

Is there any procedure when changing over engines..... like do I have to VIN it etc etc.

Never done this on a motorbike before.... so all advise is greatly appreciated.

I will be getting the engine Saturday if I go ahead with this deal.

My bike is still running sweet with 94,000kms on the clock.

If I get this engine, what should I do to keep it stored...... so that when the time comes to change engines...... I can do a clean swap.

Cheers for your help and answers.

sounds like a deal, but ya really do need to hear it running just in case. taking the spark plugs out reduces compression, try and hand crank it whilst its at the wreckers to see if anything seems a miss. also try the gears out too. hard to do when it aint in a frame, but it may help. otherwise if its all good, get it it sounds like a great deal. if one motor is getting fixed the other can be put in its place.

sunhuntin
15th December 2006, 21:57
cam chain? whats the set up on these bikes? or sounding silly but hows ya chain and sprockets?

wouldnt have a clue about set up, but shes just been serviced a few weeks ago. they tightened the chain [which was nearly falling off], put a bigger foot on the stand, and replaced the mirror and indicator.

cheers for the tip, waylander. saw a real nice tank on there some time ago that had betty boop on it, but they wanted way too much.

crashe
15th December 2006, 22:00
wouldnt have a clue about set up, but shes just been serviced a few weeks ago. they tightened the chain [which was nearly falling off], put a bigger foot on the stand, and replaced the mirror and indicator.

cheers for the tip, waylander. saw a real nice tank on there some time ago that had betty boop on it, but they wanted way too much.

Indicator lens covers for the genuine round ones are $12 up here.
I had to replace my RH front one after my accident.

T.I.E
15th December 2006, 22:01

do try the cam chain tensioner, it may be playing up, also depending on some services they might not cover it. so best check it out, if its playing up and it does something silly it's gonna be ugly. but good luck and ill keep an eye out let me know what it was.

sunhuntin
15th December 2006, 22:15
do try the cam chain tensioner, it may be playing up, also depending on some services they might not cover it. so best check it out, if its playing up and it does something silly it's gonna be ugly. but good luck and ill keep an eye out let me know what it was.

next service is meant to be 45thou, but i might put it off till 50. depends how my money is. got last bill from them due the 20th [400 odd] and credit card due the 21st. never mind...my savings can be eaten into for a bit. :yes:
ill get them to check it asap. thanks for that.

crashe
15th December 2006, 22:17
next service is meant to be 45thou, but i might put it off till 50. depends how my money is. got last bill from them due the 20th [400 odd] and credit card due the 21st. never mind...my savings can be eaten into for a bit. :yes:
ill get them to check it asap. thanks for that.

What the hell did they do in the service for that amount of money?

I been quoted a lot less than that for a service.

FROSTY
15th December 2006, 22:40
dump the oil --over fill it with new stuff -Id give motu a yell about storage

crashe
16th December 2006, 10:58
Ok I have been in there and scored a box full of VIRAGO parts...

I checked out the engine..... I cant get to hear it go at all....
But it has been damaged in a accident.
The oil filter cover has a huge hole in it.
Another part has been damaged as well.

So it is still sitting there...... do I or don't I get it??????

This is what I scored today:
A complete fuel tap componant.
A dash ( High beam, neutral, turn) switch
A horn
A mirror (A round mirror)
A plastic box thing that holds the battery in place.
A handle bar grip
A metal thing that holds the headlight
A brake cable
Another cable
A battery terminal cable
A light signal flasher unit
A few other connectors
A headlight surround - To be yet confirmed it is the correct one - Tis a 535
A huge rubber mount thing

All that is left there for a VIRAGO is:
A rear wheel with everything attached to it... going for $100
The engine is going for $350.
I am going to find out the cost of the oil filter cover first before I make the decision.

Disco Dan
16th December 2006, 11:14
I would go for it crashe, if you got the space to store parts for your baby then do it. You will thank yourself later when something breaks/falls off and all you have to do is walk into your garage and pull out another from a box!

If you can store the engine do it! even if you rig up some weird lever thingy on the side so you can turn the engine over every so often to make this easier.

Where is this wounderful sounding bike wreckers?? is there any out west?

crashe
16th December 2006, 11:18
I would go for it crashe, if you got the space to store parts for your baby then do it. You will thank yourself later when something breaks/falls off and all you have to do is walk into your garage and pull out another from a box!

If you can store the engine do it! even if you rig up some weird lever thingy on the side so you can turn the engine over every so often to make this easier.

Where is this wounderful sounding bike wreckers?? is there any out west?

28 Crummer Rd......Grey Lynn.

Open til 4pm today.....

Do you need parts..... I can get on my bike and take you there. so that you wont get lost........:whistle:

Disco Dan
16th December 2006, 11:21
Need new front disc but will prob look into gettting it after new years, I still need to generate some $$ for xmas shopping yet... so bike parts are a very low priority!

crashe
16th December 2006, 11:22
Need new front disc but will prob look into gettting it after new years, I still need to generate some $$ for xmas shopping yet... so bike parts are a very low priority!

This wreckers is shutting down this weekend...... hence the huge big sale happening.

Waylander
16th December 2006, 12:52
You got that all mixed up.

sunhuntin
16th December 2006, 16:38
Ok I have been in there and scored a box full of VIRAGO parts...

I checked out the engine..... I cant get to hear it go at all....
But it has been damaged in a accident.
The oil filter cover has a huge hole in it.
Another part has been damaged as well.

So it is still sitting there...... do I or don't I get it??????

This is what I scored today:
A complete fuel tap componant.
A dash ( High beam, neutral, turn) switch
A horn
A mirror (A round mirror)
A plastic box thing that holds the battery in place.
A handle bar grip
A metal thing that holds the headlight
A brake cable
Another cable
A battery terminal cable
A light signal flasher unit
A few other connectors
A headlight surround - To be yet confirmed it is the correct one
A huge rubber mount thing

All that is left there for a VIRAGO is:
A rear wheel with everything attached to it... going for $100
The engine is going for $350.
I am going to find out the cost of the oil filter cover first before I make the decision.

damn, good haul! even if you dont need the parts, get comfirmation they are virago and what year [if poss] and throw the lot on trademe...they will sell. im yet to see anything other than a complete bike for sale on there.
and bugger, my mirrors are rectangle.

crashe
16th December 2006, 16:42
damn, good haul! even if you dont need the parts, get comfirmation they are virago and what year [if poss] and throw the lot on trademe...they will sell. im yet to see anything other than a complete bike for sale on there.
and bugger, my mirrors are rectangle.

The Headlight plastic surround is bigger than my one...... but it is a genuine Yamaha part. But to which bike that Im not too sure about.

Everything else does belong to the Virago....

You can put on the other type of mirrors.

FROSTY
16th December 2006, 23:24
buy the engine--if your one lunches tyou can just swap the bits over

Racey Rider
17th December 2006, 08:07
Just go in and offer them $200. Use body language that shows you don't really need it, but will do them a favour by 'clearing' it off them for $200.

and see if they'll throw in some KR150 bits too! :yes:

dickytoo
17th December 2006, 12:00

Hey DD,

I found a really good source for zzr250 parts here in sydney. i bought some rear indicators of him for $40 (left and right), complete. they fit in the tail piece and replace the ones on stalks.

i'm dropping in there sometime next week before my trip back to enzed. if you want, i can ask him about prices for zzr250 front disks.

otherwise, you can get hold of him directly.

http://www.bikepartssydney.com.au/

I found him to be a lot cheaper than the victoria crowd and another place in sydney i bought a second seat for a R1.

cheers

crashe
17th December 2006, 12:09
Just go in and offer them $200. Use body language that shows you don't really need it, but will do them a favour by 'clearing' it off them for $200.

and see if they'll throw in some KR150 bits too! :yes:

What bits are you after for the KR150?

Racey Rider
17th December 2006, 14:11
Nothin really for the race bike. Just needs new tyres and a new pilot and it's Good to Go.

always looking for KR150 bits though for my other Project bikes.

Right hand top front flaring in Green.
Green/white fuel tank. would be useful if anybody stubbles across them.

Racey.

crashe
18th December 2006, 09:18
Nothin really for the race bike. Just needs new tyres and a new pilot and it's Good to Go.

always looking for KR150 bits though for my other Project bikes.

Right hand top front flaring in Green.
Green/white fuel tank. would be useful if anybody stubbles across them.

Racey.

Ok I rung them up this morning........

Sorry mate they have nothing in stock at all for the KR150.

Buggar.

Waylander
19th December 2006, 19:28
Have you ever meet me...... this bike is the one for me....
Im a shortarse. there is stuff all bikes that I can reach the ground on.

I got it with less than 3,000km on it in 2000 it now has 94,000.

The XV1000 or XV1100 is too heavy for me.
The XV750 is ok..... but impossible to find.
Plus they are all older bikes..... they dont make them no more.
They still make the 250.

yep my bike is great, but I am thinking in the future......

I maintain the bike and she chugs along great....
just did 1550+ kms to Wellington and back last weekend.

:done:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-81835881.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-80014492.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-81598057.htm

Oh and found these aswell lol.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-81064692.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=81794269&permanent=0