PDA

View Full Version : gn250 clutch

FilthyLuka
18th December 2006, 09:11
hey there... when i was dissassembling my engine, i took out the clutch plates to check for wear. they were all good so i reassemble the plates (in the order i found them in) and tightened the four screws (with springs behind them) that hold the clutch plates in. now, when i walk the bike in first gear. ill pull the clutch all the way in and the bike will move like its only semi pulled in... hmm. so i pulled the engine apart and loosened the bolts with springs behind them. Now when i walk the bike, the same thing happens, but ill put it in second and it wont be as bad. Could this be because im trying this while there is no oil in the engine or is it something else?

denden

Paul in NZ
18th December 2006, 09:23
Sounds like it's dragging?

Sorry - I've not actually played with a GN clutch so this may not apply...

Is there a throwout adjustment in the middle of the pressure plate? Back off the cable and set that correctly, then adjust the cable for about 1/2 mm slack.

Make sure the pressure plate lifts squarely. You need to make sure each of the 4 springs has the same tension. It's easier with a kick start cos you can tie the lever back to the bar and spin the clutch. I fix a bit of bent wire to the frame and use it as a pointer to make SURE the plate spins true.

Hope that helps?

Paul N

FilthyLuka
18th December 2006, 09:30
good man! i just took an oogle through my ginny manual lookin for a throw out screw... and whaddaya know!

Tighten four spring screws diagonally
loosen lock nut and turn in the release screw to feel high resistance
from that point, turn out the release screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn

that sound about right?

denden

Steam
18th December 2006, 09:59
denden

Did you need any special tools like is says in the manual, or did you get by with just regular toolbox tools? I'll need to renew either my springs or plates soon, and I'd like to do it myself. Was it easyish?

FilthyLuka
19th December 2006, 10:05
Did you need any special tools like is says in the manual, or did you get by with just regular toolbox tools? I'll need to renew either my springs or plates soon, and I'd like to do it myself. Was it easyish?

yep... all done... the "special tool" is pretty much just a thin size 12 spanner. Put size 12 spanner on the metal square, undo the lock nut... however, if you dont have a thin spanner (like i didnt), then you can dissassemble he clutch plates, pull the fucker out, chuck the 12mm spanner on, undo the lock nut, reassemble then adjust the throw out screw. you can simply just turn the locknut back on when your done...

piece of cake

denden

Paul in NZ
19th December 2006, 15:48
good man! i just took an oogle through my ginny manual lookin for a throw out screw... and whaddaya know!

Tighten four spring screws diagonally
loosen lock nut and turn in the release screw to feel high resistance
from that point, turn out the release screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn

that sound about right?

denden

Yup - just make SURE you back off your cable adjuster first (assuming the GN has one)

The 1/4 to 1/2 turn allows for heat expansion. Too tight = clutch slip and eventually wears away the part, too loose = drag

After adjusting the clutch centre, set your cable to allow about 1 to 2 mm free travel.

Make SURE you tighten the (4?) pressure plate screws so the pressure plate lifts squarely - don't just go by the physical amount you have wound them in. All springs will be a little different in tension so check the pressure plate is square with the lever pulled in.