PDA

View Full Version : Radiator sludge

vamr
19th December 2006, 23:03
This may sound daft but... is there supposed to be a build up of aqua-white, off-milk like sludge in the radiator of this nature?

And if not, any recommendations as to how to drain and refill?

Thanks in advance.

Disco Dan
19th December 2006, 23:18
is there supposed to be a build up of aqua-white, off-milk like sludge in the radiator of this nature?

*Bites tounge*

:innocent:

vamr
19th December 2006, 23:20
The texture is not too disimilar.. a tad more like fresh yogurt.

Disco Dan
19th December 2006, 23:22
If its not green - ie the colour of your coolant. then obviously there is something else in there.... i would 'flush'.

What?
20th December 2006, 05:23
Sounds like there's oil in your coolant. Flushing is all very well, but you need to find and fix the problem, as it will get worse. Possibly disastrously so.

Motu
20th December 2006, 06:39
That doesn't look good,the oil has to come from somewhere.Usualy a blown headgasket,cracked head or an internal frost plug.Flush it out and see if it returns....

Flyingpony
20th December 2006, 08:12
Is your bike losing radiator fluid?
What colour is your engine oil?
If it's remotely the same colour, then you've got a serious problem which must be found asap.

That doesn't look good,the oil has to come from somewhere.Usualy a blown headgasket,cracked head or an internal frost plug.Flush it out and see if it returns....
That reminds me. One day after tanking up and 4m later, the engine will make it's final dance as it drowns in its own slimy cream slush being rapidly squirted and sucked via the air intake ...
One very good thing about it though, all the oil inside the engine will also be the same creamy slush and it makes really good hand cleaner while rebuilding the engine :innocent:

vamr
20th December 2006, 13:52
Just a note, this is a kr-150 2stroke if that changes anything.

ArcherWC
20th December 2006, 14:11
Just a note, this is a kr-150 2stroke if that changes anything.

No dosnt change a thing, still need to find the leak :yes: look at the most likely ones first, head casket and water pump

Motu
20th December 2006, 14:17
In that case it's most likely gearbox oil - I don't know the bike so no idea how gearbox oil will get into the coolant,but somehow it has.

Ixion
20th December 2006, 15:15
Failed water pump seal (if they have a water pump) . That does it on the GT750

vamr
20th December 2006, 16:16
Thank you all for the prompt replies.

Just incase I ordered a replacement head gasket which will arrive tomorrow.

Will flush the radiator in a sec and attempt to figure out where the waterpump is located... some days I really wish I had a manual but alas no shop seems to be able to convince kawasaki to cough one up.

vamr
20th December 2006, 17:08
Hrm, have just flushed the radiator.

The content resembles rather foul milky coffee, appears to be a lot of oil in there. The gearbox oil reserve looks alright.

Time to disassemble :bye:

Also, in the coolant there were quite a few tiny black flakes that were found at the bottom of the drain pan. Perhaps a hint of where all went wrong?

EDIT: Couldn't locate the leak but I didn't fully disassemble, just to the return. As this is the first time I changed the coolant, I have no idea when was the last time it was done.

Am worried about the bits of debris floating in there even after I hosed it down. Appears to be metal flakes inside the radiator (I'd suspect rust but the flakes appear untarnished). As mentioned above, on the initial flush the flakes that came out were black so perhaps the old coolant was acidic?

Started the engine to cycle the coolant through, let it warm up, temperature is stable. Sounds normal, opened the throttle a bit, still running as per usual. The coolant still appears to be clean so I guess will need to go for a decent ride to check if the problem persists or if it was just incredibly old coolant. Will endeavoring to take the engine out on sunday to check up on the condition of the top end (and clean out the powervalves).

And this ranting is more for my own reference then anyone else.

vamr
21st December 2006, 16:36
Failed water pump seal (if they have a water pump) . That does it on the GT750

You and Motu were absolutely right. It's the water pump seal. Replacement seal and gasket will be coming in tomorrow.

The gearbox oil has mixed with the coolant.

xwhatsit
21st December 2006, 20:32
Cool, glad to hear it wasn't head gasket. What about the little flakes though? Could that be explained by the water pump seal too?

vamr
22nd December 2006, 02:48
Cool, glad to hear it wasn't head gasket. What about the little flakes though? Could that be explained by the water pump seal too?

I believe it's just the corrosion of the radiator but will know for sure tomorrow.

vamr
22nd December 2006, 17:37
I apologies for the barrage of questions but...

Got the cover off, after picking up a new gasket and seal. The metal inside looks like it was hit by shrapnel. Any idea of what would cause such damage and if I need to replace that wheel?

Thank you!

48943 48942

Sketchy_Racer
22nd December 2006, 17:52
dunno whats happened there, but that impeller is still fine to use. Replace the seal, CLEAN everything. get it spick'n'span...

go from there ;)

vamr
22nd December 2006, 18:59
dunno whats happened there, but that impeller is still fine to use. Replace the seal, CLEAN everything. get it spick'n'span...

go from there ;)

Cheers, will do once I pick up waterpump pliers (once again, lack of manual hurts).

I can only assume that either someone dropped a piece of soft metal into the radiator that has been subsequently disintegrated by the impeller and destroyed the seal in the process or the radiator has corroded and chipped.

Should I be worried about subsequent damage to the head by debris?

Sketchy_Racer
22nd December 2006, 21:18
I wouldnt worry about the head....

The water flowing out of the pump isnt moving at a huge velocity... so HIGHLY unlikely to do any damage... And at a guess, i would say that crap was the cause of the water pump seal faliure...

vamr
26th December 2006, 04:47
After some trial and error (with some good advice from a few members here) got the right side engine cover off and have to say am not any further with the search for the cause of the said leak... just more confusion.

There is obvious evidence of coolant in the gearbox oil however the seals appear to be perfectly fine and recently replaced (I have no previous history of the bike). If anything, the impeller side mechanical seal is a little bit soft but that wouldn't explain the leak as the oil seal is ok.

My only conclusion of where all went wrong is the gasket, in particular around the water channel to the head, is a bit chewed up and off centre by around 2mm.

There is no other places where the coolant can meet gearbox oil so with any luck, replacing the seals (just in case) and the gasket will solve the problem.

There was in fact no damage to the impeller, just appeared to be at first look. I'm pretty sure it was the sealant used during the last installation of the gaskets (over-eager application) that ended up sticking to the blades (strangely enough, texture and colour wise it resembles something akin to Liquid Nails). On the waterpump case there is deep scoring but it doesn't really look like anything done by debris, more like someone's attempt to scrape off antifreeze residue with a screwdriver.

Live and learn I guess, at least I ended up with a better understanding of the bike (such as that there is nothing behind the clutchplate"cover" except for some dampening rubber and that for some unknown reason the nut of the powervalve activation shaft is countersunk).

Am still perplexed as to why Kawasaki tends to use quite soft metal for key bolts and nuts that hold the engine together.

replicator
26th December 2006, 05:22
yep. that milky white stuff means the presence of oil in the cooling system. that or someone is pulling a prank on you and putting yogurt in it or something :)

Sketchy_Racer
26th December 2006, 12:01
Even if the seal that is on the water impeller shaft looks good, does not mean it is sealing.

So replacing it is good :)

Keep us updated

Good on you for getting your hands dirty and sorting this out :niceone: