PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Issues with my Honda CBR 250 RR?

DarkDream
23rd July 2004, 10:04
I'm not entirely sure but my bike seems to have performance issues above 120km/hr.

The bike is in good condition, far better than what I paid for it. But my concern is that the clutch might be slipping.

Generally it is reving around 11k for about 110km/hr, however it just doesn't seem to have the pick up after this point.

Is this common for a 250cc? Any thoughts on cost of replacement?

What sort of test could I do to determine what might be wrong, short of giving it to a mechanic.

I do find that off the mark it jumps a little, shudders if you like. Generally an indication with cars that you might have clutch problems.

At present it seems to just rev at a certain point and not go a great deal faster. Either that or I've just gotten used to the speed and need to upgrade to a nice 600. :)

sAsLEX
23rd July 2004, 10:48
drop a few gears and try it with 16k, they dont have much ommph at that speed and low revs, take it to the redline if you want any sort of decent acceleration. Have you just started riding to uni??

DarkDream
23rd July 2004, 11:15
No chance of Uni, working now....what a grind. So it wasn't me pulling the mono along Princes St, nice thought though.

What tires are you running, I'm finding my rear tire must be quite a soft compound......damn thing is wearing away so fast. Got to lean over more no doubt!

Paul in NZ
23rd July 2004, 12:26
I'm finding my rear tire must be quite a soft compound......damn thing is wearing away so fast. Got to lean over more no doubt!

Either that or pump it up...

They wear out real fast if flat...

sAsLEX
23rd July 2004, 15:54
Dunlop GPR 70s real grippy will soon see how they last

merv
23rd July 2004, 19:11
At present it seems to just rev at a certain point and not go a great deal faster. Either that or I've just gotten used to the speed and need to upgrade to a nice 600. :)

OK so are you saying for sure at a certain speed the rev counter will continue climbing while the speedo doesn't? Revs versus speed should be linear.

If so that is classic clutch slip and it happens because you reach a point where the engine power has climbed up and its enough in effect for the clutch to break traction and slip.

Usually clutch slip is worse in the higher gears (4th, 5th, 6th) because the torque (and power) required to speed the bike up is greater so its kinda like there's more drag and you can feel the slip easier and hear the motor rev. In the low gears the engine revs up quicker and the clutch won't slip as easily.

Two Smoker
23rd July 2004, 19:24
If it is slipping, just a small adjustment of the clutch cable should sort it, where abouts is your clutch enganging???? (in relation to the clutch lever) I dont think the CBR250 pulls very well in 6th at 110kmh, just like a 600cc doesnt pull very much at 260+kmh...

Just drop it into 4th and you will be sweet.....

As for tyres, pressure checks is a must, and for my preference the stickier the better.... Good tyres would be the GPR70's or Diablo's or BT090's

If you want to check if it isnt accelerating too well come out for a blat with me, and on the straights we can see if it is up too scratch..... The CBR pulls a little bit more at higher speeds.......

As for going round corners quick going to work.... I get my knee down at least 3-4 times just on the way to work hehehe.....

aff-man
23rd July 2004, 22:11
ok i think that thje zxr is pretty similar. Firslt shorten your clutch i found i had the same problem when messing around with mine to find optimum changing position. as for pull will at 12k my second little boost kick in so 3rd or 4th is quite fun around that area. As for being an inline 250 you should be able to pull farely quickly to about 150-160 before due to engine capacity it starts to fall off wit the acceleration.
Lesson i learnt about my zxr after riding a vt is that they loooooooove the revs. I know riding around at lower revs saves gas ect ect ect. But take the mid point in your rev range and try not riding below that and it should make the bike feel as if it has heaps more power(but watch out the speed increases faster as well) :headbang:

andy1
24th July 2004, 02:31
Yea i had problems with my CBR250 clutch, i fucked it totally...
Just got a new clutch kit and it was sweeeeet.

These days ill be using a slipper clutch.. :stoogie: makes the corner more fun :innocent:

DarkDream
26th July 2004, 15:29
OK so are you saying for sure at a certain speed the rev counter will continue climbing while the speedo doesn't? Revs versus speed should be linear.

If so that is classic clutch slip and it happens because you reach a point where the engine power has climbed up and its enough in effect for the clutch to break traction and slip.

Usually clutch slip is worse in the higher gears (4th, 5th, 6th) because the torque (and power) required to speed the bike up is greater so its kinda like there's more drag and you can feel the slip easier and hear the motor rev. In the low gears the engine revs up quicker and the clutch won't slip as easily.

Okay this sounds exactly like the issue. Any idea on Cost for my bike

1990 Honda CBR 250 RR

Gave it a fine polish this weekend, very very very nice!! And then the dew got it :crybaby:

Any ideas on anything that could polish up the frame etc?

As for clutch, it's going in for service soon, and will look to get a piralli tire. Something that will last a bit longer.

DarkDream
26th July 2004, 15:33
Cheers for that, I think a ride this weekend woudl be good, I'll post it in club250!

DarkDream
26th July 2004, 15:38
If it is slipping, just a small adjustment of the clutch cable should sort it, where abouts is your clutch enganging???? (in relation to the clutch lever) I dont think the CBR250 pulls very well in 6th at 110kmh, just like a 600cc doesnt pull very much at 260+kmh...

Just drop it into 4th and you will be sweet.....

As for tyres, pressure checks is a must, and for my preference the stickier the better.... Good tyres would be the GPR70's or Diablo's or BT090's

If you want to check if it isnt accelerating too well come out for a blat with me, and on the straights we can see if it is up too scratch..... The CBR pulls a little bit more at higher speeds.......

As for going round corners quick going to work.... I get my knee down at least 3-4 times just on the way to work hehehe.....

Will be posting all notice of weekend rides in forum Club250

I'm happy for whoever to come along. Larger bikes welcome...

sAsLEX
26th July 2004, 15:44
Any ideas on anything that could polish up the frame etc?

try autosol about $8 from any bike shop, will bring any metal up sweet and leaves a protective stuff