PDA

View Full Version : Help! My GSX-R250 won't start.

Unforgiven
22nd December 2006, 20:16
I need help!

My bikes dead!

It wont start, it just turns over and backfires every 15 seconds or so.
Ive pulled the air box off and sprayed some carb cleaner in and changed the spark plugs, the old ones wernt too bad.

It has spark and seems to be getting fuel.

The big problem is I need it going this weekend.

Any ideas?

Its a 1990 GSXR 250

T.W.R
22nd December 2006, 20:25
Did you check which leads went to which plugs when you changed the plugs ?? sounds like you've mixed the leads up :yes:

NighthawkNZ
22nd December 2006, 20:26
Did you check which leads went to which plugs when you changed the plugs ?? sounds like you've mixed the leads up :yes:

was going to suggest that...

Grub
22nd December 2006, 20:33
And if it's not that then it sounds like the ignition timing has slipped or a bit has broken

Unforgiven
22nd December 2006, 20:42
Leads are all in the right place. It was doing it before I changed the plugs. It could be timing but I dont have a timing light (or know how to set the timing on it). Anyone local that could come over and have a look? its a bit late I know, Ive been working on it all day. I took it down to Maunder Suzuki earlier and they said to try plugs and clean the carb. It runs ok and starts once warmed up, but now it wont start at all.

Ixion
22nd December 2006, 20:48
What do you mean "it runs ok and starts once warmed up but now won't start"?

You need to be a lot more specific. Do you mean that until now it has been fine, starting OK (hot or cold) etc (for how long?) , but now , suddenly, has started misbehaving? Did it stop when running? At high revs? or idling? Or just not start one morning? If so was it running OK immediately before (how long since you last roide it? Is it kept under cover?) ? Or do you mean that it has been reluctant to start when cold for some time (since when?) but now won't start at all? They are all quite different issues. You need to PRECISELY state what is wrong and the COMPLETE history of the problem.

If you just say "it won't start" my diagnosis would be that your engine has been stolen. Be specific.

(If it won't start how did you take it down to Maunder Suzuki?)

T.W.R
22nd December 2006, 20:51
Leads are all in the right place. It was doing it before I changed the plugs. It could be timing but I dont have a timing light (or know how to set the timing on it).

The ignition is digital on a 90' GSX-R250, so no timing as such, so check to see if the pulser/pick-up coil hasn't worked loose & the gap between it & the rotor is set properly.

Unforgiven
22nd December 2006, 20:56
It has been running badly for a couple of weeks, cutting out under load. I ran it low on gas, so it may have picked up some crap from the bottom of the tank. I ran some fuel injector cleaner in the fuel, which helped. In the last couple of days it has been hard to start, when it finally did I rode straight to Maunders. Unfortunatly it wouldnt play up while it was hot. It did have a slight misfire while it was running.

Unforgiven
22nd December 2006, 20:58
The ignition is digital on a 90' GSX-R250, so no timing as such, so check to see if the pulser/pick-up coil hasn't worked loose & the gap between it & the rotor is set properly.

How do I check that? I havnt spent much time working on bikes. mostly on diesel trucks and injected cars.

Ixion
22nd December 2006, 21:01
Strip carbs and fuel tap (and any filters) , and a cupfull of meths in the tank. CAREFULLY and THROUGHLY clean the carb jets. Does this model have a fuel pump or is it gravity feed?

BAD DAD
22nd December 2006, 21:07
Not familiar with your model of bike but if it DOES have carbs are they the type that have rubber diaphrams? Had a problem a few years ago which turned out to be a minute tear in the diaphram of one carb. Sorry if this has no relevance to your situation.

jonbuoy
22nd December 2006, 21:10
If you can get to the carbys you could spray some CRC 5-56 into the inlet - needs to be directly into them - where you can see the throttle slide, while you crank it if you get a decent spray down their throats it will fire on the CRC, least you will know if its a fuel or ignition problem.

T.W.R
22nd December 2006, 21:11
How do I check that? I havnt spent much time working on bikes. mostly on diesel trucks and injected cars.

not 100% sure on a gixxer250 but by rights it should be under a small cover R/H side of the engine at the end of the crankshaft. Under the cover should be a rotor disc with a tang on it and the pulser coil should be off to one side slightly. the gap shouldn't be any more than .5mm

Unforgiven
22nd December 2006, 21:29
Ill check the rotor disc in the morning. Ive had the fuel tap out and the filters and cleaned them. Its gravity feed, no pump. Ive tried engine start into the carbs, no success. I havnt pulled the carbs off yet, but I might have to.

Ixion
22nd December 2006, 21:32
Fuel comes out the far end of the hose when you turn the tap on ? Lots of it?

EDIT. I assume that when it IS running it runs OK? As in no rattling noises, normal amount of power etc?

Unforgiven
22nd December 2006, 21:36
Fuel seems to flow ok. Its done 94,00 kms, so its a little noisey when running. Power is good and it runs smooth. Its been playing up a bit for a couple of weeks now but had starting problems the last few days. This morning it really didnt want to start. I will also check all the wiring tomorrow to make shure its not a bad earth or somthing silly.

SwanTiger
22nd December 2006, 23:57
It sounds as so your carburetors need a thorough clean as Ixion has suggested. Effectively, back firing is caused by un-burnt gas entering your exhuast and igniting. So something is causing a defeciency with your mixture. Too much gas or not enough oxygen being introduced to the cylinder.

If you don't already have one, here is a copy of the 1990 model GSXR 250 manual (it's roughly 6mb in size).

http://www.gsx.dk/images/gsxr250/gsx-r-250-manual.zip

Good Luck.

imdying
23rd December 2006, 15:28
If you can get to the carbys you could spray some CRC 5-56 into the inlet - needs to be directly into them - where you can see the throttle slide, while you crank it if you get a decent spray down their throats it will fire on the CRC, least you will know if its a fuel or ignition problem.

CRC isn't so good for it now that it has CFC free propellants... used to be heaps better. I use Aerostart these days, although imho CRC used to be as good as Aerostart for half the price.

Unforgiven
7th January 2007, 15:50
I have dismantled, inspected and cleaned the carbs. Everything looked ok, even wear on all 4 needles, both diaphrams are ok, no visable damage anywhere. There was a lot of cleaning to do though.

Still no sign of life though.

Fuel is getting through and the bike has spark. I have taken the left side cover off and the magneto assembly looks ok.

I am now fearing the worst.... Does anyone have a compression tester that I could borrow.

Sherife
27th April 2014, 10:14
Ill check the rotor disc in the morning. Ive had the fuel tap out and the filters and cleaned them. Its gravity feed, no pump. Ive tried engine start into the carbs, no success. I havnt pulled the carbs off yet, but I might have to.

Hey, you had problems with gskhr250? it would not start. you decided this problemmu? how?

nzspokes
27th April 2014, 16:14
He may have fixed it by now.

Prosnorkulus
1st September 2017, 19:01
Did you end up sorting it out in the end?
If so how? Mine seems to be having the exact same problem ever since I changed the starter motor :(

Akzle
1st September 2017, 20:17
Did you end up sorting it out in the end?
If so how? Mine seems to be having the exact same problem ever since I changed the starter motor :(

He may have fixed it by now.

:facepalm:

actungbaby
12th February 2018, 20:30
I need help!

My bikes dead!

It wont start, it just turns over and backfires every 15 seconds or so.
Ive pulled the air box off and sprayed some carb cleaner in and changed the spark plugs, the old ones wernt too bad.

It has spark and seems to be getting fuel.

The big problem is I need it going this weekend.

Any ideas?

Its a 1990 GSXR 250

Valves try pull themselves through the head . I been told that causes this problem . New valve seats second hand cylinder head .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk