PDA

View Full Version : WTF where is my missing gear?

Ghost Lemur
26th December 2006, 13:17
For some reason I've been under the impression that my CRM is a 5-speed. It rings out just over 100kph.

Been doing some reading and it appears it's supposed to be a 6-speed. Unless I can't count (tis a possibility, but with it ringing out as low as it does I doubt it), this means I'm missing a gear.

I was planning on doing an oil change anyway so once drained I'm happy to pull something off and have a look.

As far as my mechanically novice mind can think all I can put this down to is either someone has replaced my 6-speed with a compatible 5 (possible? How would I tell), or something is broken and so I'm missing/unable to change up to 6th.

This has me somewhat worried. The bike came to NZ with VERY low k's. They are a popular bike in Japan, so it could have been raced/'tarded, would they have fucked with the gearbox for that?

All in all, I'm now confussed and slightly worried.

Chaosmage
26th December 2006, 14:03
Well my only experience was a missing 3rd gear. I had a 5 speed 250 and all 5 gears worked. At some point later in its life I changed from 2nd to 3rd and it would just rev and go nowhere. In this case I had to start double clicking from 2nd to 4th gear, 3rd had become like a strange neutral.

I would have thought if you had 6 gears and 6th was broken somehow then you would be able to click up to the 6th position but it would just rev.

trumpy
26th December 2006, 14:35
Check this link...

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_crm_250_ar_1998.php

Ghost Lemur
27th December 2006, 08:08
Newbie post of the year award (puts on lead suit) goes to....

ME. :dodge:

This morning I took the time to actually count gears, and yes, shock horror I do in fact have six (really should have done that before posting this thread) gears. It still leaves me scratching my head as to why I'm ringing it to get to 100kph. Either I'm missing a gear (and I do me I as in me - not the bike) or it's taking 6 gears to top out at 100.

Either way I'm going to have to do some more investigating, because everything being right I'd expect to comfortably cruise at 100 and push it to 120-130 (anyone see a flaw in this expectation?).

Motu
27th December 2006, 09:30
It's pretty hard to keep track of which gear you are in when you are flicking it through so fast on these things.It must have off road gearing,the DT230 can do 165kph no problem,so a CRM250 should be able to get up there too.Check your sprockets to see if they are standard.

scumdog
27th December 2006, 11:17
Get a Harley - with the dump-truck type 'clunk' as you change gear you'll never NOT notice your changes.