PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever wonder about workshops...!!!

manyrevs
8th January 2007, 11:09
Do you ever wonder what REALLY happens when/if you send your bike in for servicing or repair...???

A while back, I asked you guys for your opinions on which oil I should use. I was using Motul 5100 from the first service (brand new bike) and although I have used this oil before, I noticed that as soon as I got my bike back from its service, and supposed change from run-in oil to Motul 5100, it started making more engine noise and the average temperature appeared to jump up a few degrees. I thought this was strange for such a highly regarded brand of oil, but it was quite noticable indeed...

Most of the replies from you guys centred around Motul, Mobil or Castrol and their respective bike oils. Well I ended up buying Motul 5100 again, mainly because I could not find either of the other brands around anywhere (eventually found them at Cycletreads but too late)... Anyway, I did an oil change just yesterday, 07-01-07.. All along I was thinking it would have been nice to compare another brand - but Motul I had, so Motul it was. As soon as poured it in, I started the bike up to circulate the oil before topping it up and I could not believe how quiet it was, as a matter of fact I nearly fell over backwards in surprise, expecting to hear more of the same rattles and clickity clacks etc - but NONE,, just a whirrrr...

I wonder just what they used in that first service. I doubt very much if it was the same oil as I put in yesterday, because when I picked the bike up from the shop, the first thing I noticed was how much engine noise there was. Now it's unearthly quiet. I did ask for and pay for Motul 5100. No names/shops mentioned here of course....

Makes you wonder doesn't it..!!!

slinky
8th January 2007, 11:29
it does make you think.

i prefer to work on my own bike. (with alot of help from dad...)
and if i can't, i reluctantly would give it to a shop.
but haven't had to yet, other then a chain, sprockets and tyres from cycletreads. of which you can see them doing everything anyway.

apteryx_haasti
8th January 2007, 11:36
I haven't had my bike for long, but (as for a car) I would expect it to run better after being serviced. Has been serviced twice since I got it by a bike shop (no names) and this has not been the case.

Very happy with the sales service from this particular shop, but the service dept service has been far from impressive. Which is a bit silly by them, since this is the main factor I will be judging a bike shop on when deciding where to go to buy my next bike when I'm ready for an upgrade...

vmx1200nz
8th January 2007, 11:42
I used to use motel, until my GPz900 lumped a big end, that nicked me in the head. I'm using Penzoil, my bike runs sweet-as, and is quiter than the Yamalube that was used while under warranty.:rockon:

Flyingpony
8th January 2007, 11:47
Very interesting ... thanks for sharing that.

Motu
8th January 2007, 11:48
I wonder just what they used in that first service.

How about you find out.....

Paul in NZ
8th January 2007, 11:55
That fat git that services my bike is dead dodgy and I'm sure he is ripping me off as well with expensive oils I don't really need. Shit I think he is even shagging my wife....

That fat git that services my bike is dead dodgy and I'm sure he is ripping me off as well with expensive oils I don't really need. Shit I think he is even shagging my wife....

Sorry :mellow:

Ronin
8th January 2007, 12:25

You as well? Thats two people servicing his bike :gob:

ManDownUnder
8th January 2007, 12:46

I think the inference is that they were billing for Motul but something else was used....

... or is there a way to determine which it is after it's been out of the container and through the engine (serious q)?

Motu
8th January 2007, 13:00
I think the inference is that they were billing for Motul but something else was used....

... or is there a way to determine which it is after it's been out of the container and through the engine (serious q)?

I know it's a little odd in this day and age,but instead of starting a rumour on the internet....perhaps he could go to the shop and politely describe to them what his bike is doing and ask what oil they use in the workshop....perhaps go there and actualy see with his own eyes the container or labels.They might be interested on the feedback....they may actualy use Motul 5100,or a bulk substitute which is suposed to up to the same spec.If they use a bulk drum of Motul 5100 it will be an entirely different batch number than a 5 litre pack.You need evidence before you start the acusation game.

ManDownUnder
8th January 2007, 13:02
I know it's a little odd in this day and age,but instead of starting a rumour on the internet....perhaps he could go to the shop and politely describe to them what his bike is doing and ask what oil they use in the workshop....perhaps go there and actualy see with his own eyes the container or labels.They might be interested on the feedback....they may actualy use Motul 5100,or a bulk substitute which is suposed to up to the same spec.If they use a bulk drum of Motul 5100 it will be an entirely different batch number than a 5 litre pack.You need evidence before you start the acusation game.

Agreed all round - and thanks for humouring me...

manyrevs
8th January 2007, 13:40

Good thought - BUT..!!!!

Its still under warranty and hasn't yet been in for its 2nd, 5000km service check.. I'm doing it now at 4500kms, hence the oil change. I change oil at 3000-3500km intervals max ony ANY vehicle I own - 2 or 4 wheels. I know that the servicing at 5000kms is only to change oil and filter, shake out any dead birds from the air filter and bash a few things with a rubber mallet to make sure that they aren't loose etc,, so why pay a few hundred bucks when I have checked the air box and have my own rubber mallet - hahahaha...!!! That plus the fact that if I did ask, I am sure that it may provoke a negative reaction either way and at the end of the day, all they have to say is "Yes we did use that oil" and not only have I made a new enemy but I might not get some of the generous discounts that I get from them on other gear...

I've probably blown my warranty either way because I did my own oil change etc but at least I will do it knowing that what I did was the right thing and and if I don't show up, they might forget to ask me about the checkup...

Hey,, I'm just happy that the bike is going really well and I have found what Motul 5100 is like - at last...

AND - I am NOT accusing anybody... I am just asking the question and making a comparison..!!!

Coyote
8th January 2007, 14:10
Last time I took the bike to the shop I got it back with the same problems and paid 300 bucks for labour

That reminds me, I need to change the transmission fluid. It's been 8000k's now

Lou Girardin
8th January 2007, 15:20
..they may actualy use Motul 5100,or a bulk substitute which is suposed to up to the same spec.If they use a bulk drum of Motul 5100 it will be an entirely different batch number than a 5 litre pack.You need evidence before you start the acusation game.

But why would that make such a difference? It's all Motul after all.
Maybe they used the dregs out of their waste oil tank the first time.

slinky
8th January 2007, 15:25

think he is saying it could have been a bad batch maybe?

stify
8th January 2007, 15:26
now i have to pay to have me bike serviced due to wty requirements i buy a 4l pack an ask for the 1/2l back for top ups, then u know whats in it

Motu
8th January 2007, 15:39

I don't think Motul actualy uses their own oil out of their own wells,they blend it using other companies base stocks.There are a hell of a lot of discrepancies in oils - all bulk containers,even 20 litre drums will have a batch number.If there is a problem with a particular batch it can be traced.Maybe Motul has a problem and they don't know as no one has complained.....or politely asked anyway.Come on shooting from the hip and you'll encounter kevlar vests.

Paul in NZ
8th January 2007, 15:46

As if I'd let you touch my bike (sniff) :innocent:

Paul in NZ
8th January 2007, 15:47
You as well? Thats two people servicing his bike :gob:

Or you for that matter.... :sunny:

Paul in NZ
8th January 2007, 15:49
I don't think Motul actualy uses their own oil out of their own wells,they blend it using other companies base stocks.

I doubt that too - I'll bet a pound of farty weasel poos they get 'someone' to do that to their specs.

I have found that different oils 'may' make the bike sound different when cold but make bugger all difference when hot (ie all sound the same). But then I've never owned a vehicle that whirrs.... Mine all clonk

vifferman
8th January 2007, 15:50
I've had few services done by bike shops, but I had one done once where they were supposed to do everything, but especially check the valve clearances. I'm almost certain they didn't do that (rocker covers looked untouched), so I suspected they didn't do some of the other service items either.
Which is why they haven't had any of my dollars since.

Motu
8th January 2007, 16:11
Back in the days when most cars had adjustable tappets - we often didn't do the tappets when they were a required service item.Most of the tappets might be loose,a couple tight....start the car up or go around the block and one rocker is going tap tap tap.Double check the clearance and it's ok....but the customer brings it back,and back again.So you set that one rocker tight to get rid of the noise.So we didn't do them and everyone was happy....

sAsLEX
8th January 2007, 16:23
I've probably blown my warranty either way because I did my own oil change etc but at least I will do it knowing that what I did was the right thing and and if I don't show up, they might forget to ask me about the checkup...

Correct me if I am wrong internet people but allot of warranties state the oil must be changed at 5000km etc but not that it has to be done at a shop. Keep receipts for the oil and filter and as long as you did a job similar to a competent mech you "shouldn't" have any issues.

Something like changing the valve springs or something else tricky.... well......

jrandom
8th January 2007, 16:31
But then I've never owned a vehicle that whirrs.... Mine all clonk

Mine either go "thweeeeeEEEEEEEEEE" or "drrrrr-thwick, drrrrr-thwick".

Motu
8th January 2007, 16:34
Mine whirs when it stands still - I just don't know what it is and I guess I never will....

Ixion
8th January 2007, 16:38
All the Yamaha singles do that. Dunno why. It's character.

Kickaha
8th January 2007, 16:45
Mine whirs when it stands still - I just don't know what it is and I guess I never will....

Does it go zip when it moves and pop when it stops as well?

manyrevs
22nd January 2007, 10:16
Since I changed the oil in my bike, I hadn't really had the best opportunity to go for a good ride. Hey some of us had to work through Xmas/ NewYear... Anyway, yesterday, I finally went for a decent 4 - 5 hour ride and now I am sure that this oil (Motul 5100) is better than that which I thought I was paying for in that service, many moons ago. The engine is far quieter, the gear shift is easier and does not clunk into each gear now. There is such a difference that I would almost argue the point over the original issue with the guys who did the service, but I will let it go here and now. It just isn't worth the agro...

I also have done lots of little mods to the bike since I bought it. The very last one I did a few days back was to replace the rear sprocket from a 41 tooth to a 42 tooth job, and it is the icing on the cake. Just that little bit of gear ratio difference and the the fact that pulling the wheel in to take the bigger sprocket, shortened the wheelbase by about 10mm. This has quickened up the steering, along the recently raising the forks by 10mm a while ago...

Up until just the other day, I was thinking about getting another bike, like a CBR1000 or a GSXR1000 but the VTR now rides so sweetly through the twisty stuff, I am seriously thinking of keeping it. I doubt very much that I could get through the hills any quicker on a newer bike. Maybe the bike could, but "I" couldn't... Hmmmm,, I'll have to really think on that one...!!!

The End....!!!!!