PDA

View Full Version : Gsxr 400, compression 0,30,50,0

owner
11th January 2007, 14:24
Not good. My two week old bike just cut out at about 70km/h.Did a comp test and it failed misserably!:shit: Is there any gsxr 1992 400 left engines/heads out there?,Im looking for motor .I dropped the bike at a shop and said fix it, So I guess there is still hope
If its not to serious, lol . Is there any parts in the motor I should upgrade or things I check while its apart.
What about squeezing a K1 engine in there?
Has any one fitted a different engine to gsxr 400 ?

Darkman
11th January 2007, 14:42
Not good. My two week old bike just cut out at about 70km/h.Did a comp test and it failed misserably!:shit: Is there any gsxr 1992 400 left engines/heads out there?,Im looking for motor .I dropped the bike at a shop and said fix it, So I guess there is still hope
If its not to serious, lol . Is there any parts in the motor I should upgrade or things I check while its apart.

hey mate..I have the '91 as a race bike...fixing(well breaking) it up at the moment and all the parts are still available for these bikes..I have a manual and partslist if you are interested.

owner
11th January 2007, 15:37
Interested.
Does the engine still run? How much do you want for it?
When you say "all the parts are still available" do you mean new? or generally from wreckers
Is the "parts list" of all the stuff that you have, or a new parts list?
Arent fixing and breaking Two different things? What happened?

sAsLEX
11th January 2007, 15:40
Arent fixing and breaking Two different things?

not in most Kiwi garages!

owner
11th January 2007, 16:30
Good call.:dodge: . I see now! darkman is not breaking it, he is fixing it.
and he will still require his engine. Dam it
What can I say I live in hope of finding an engine.
Cheers

imdying
11th January 2007, 17:31
If it was running on all four, and just cut out, I'm guessing you didn't do the compression test correctly. Short of braking a cam chain and wasting the valves, it seems unlikely that all of the compression would dissappear on a couple of pots instantly?

El Dopa
11th January 2007, 18:36
Did a comp test and it failed miserably

What did you use to do the comp test? You HAVE to use the correct Suzuki part to do the comp test on these engines. If you don't, air leaks around the side of the tool and you get an incorrect result.

hey mate..I have the '91 as a race bike...fixing(well breaking) it up at the moment and all the parts are still available for these bikes.

Which version is this? Did it originally come with dual exhausts? Does it have USD forks? If the answer to either of these is yes, I'd possibly be interested in some bits.

owner
11th January 2007, 19:41
To imdying ;I took it to a suzuki dealer to do the comp test. That was their result 0,30,50,0 It took them 2 weeks! and yes it did just stop instantly no farting or spluttering just cut out.(so your betting cam chain aye) I thought CDI
Ive since taken it to a another bike shop to see if they get the same result.:rolleyes: Trust no one
Suzuki said "it could be as simple as resetting the valves" ????
is this possible? or "as major as finding another engine"
To El dopa;I dont think darkman is wrecking his bike. correct me if Im wrong
because I need an engine
Cheers

Darkman
11th January 2007, 21:08
Interested.
Does the engine still run? How much do you want for it?
When you say "all the parts are still available" do you mean new? or generally from wreckers
Is the "parts list" of all the stuff that you have, or a new parts list?
Arent fixing and breaking Two different things? What happened?

sorry man..you must have misunderstood me..I am fixing the bike up for myself to race, but due to my lack of knowlage I am doing more damage to it than fixing it. All parts for the motor is available new, so you would be able to fix yours easily.

owner
12th January 2007, 00:14
laughing Yeah I got that after re reading your post. cheers for that. Its good to know about the new stuff too. aussie call wreckers, breaker's .weirdos

rok-the-boat
12th January 2007, 07:32
It could have sudden low compression on more than one cylinder if you have some bent valves - did you over-rev it?

imdying
12th January 2007, 07:36
Bummer, I was hoping it was only the test that was wrong :(

It would seem that if it was going fine, and then wasn't, then the valves are the most likely cause, given that the headgasket 'exploding' you would notice, and valves bending you would notice (although I would've thought you'd notice the cam chain breaking). Did you over rev it?

owner
12th January 2007, 14:30
well.... I just came down Twilight rd, Clendon and MAY have over rev'd it coming down the hill( I cant think of when, I was loving it so might not have noticed ). But I'd sat up and was kinda having a breather when it stopped . The motor was only doing about 7000-8000 rpm when it happened and
I didnt hear a snap crackle or pop
Ill find out soon. I ll post some pics of the damage
A few valves, couple of pistons, cam chain, seal & gasket kit + labour. times 3(for a rebuild)= any body got a engine they wanna sell???

El Dopa
12th January 2007, 19:32
Seriously, get a shop that know what they are doing (i.e. they actually have the CORRECT suzuki tool) to do the compression test.

My bandit (same engine as the GSXR400) was 'sold' to someone else (through a shop - on behalf of the owner), conditional on a compression test. It 'failed' the compression test at the shop, ONLY BECAUSE they used a generic tool rather than one that actually fitted the hole. The generic tool leaked and the reading was hell low.

The owner got pissed off, and yanked it from the shop as he knew it was compressing fine, and he was tired of being dicked around.

He sold it to me, and I've never had a compression-type problem with it. A couple of other relatively minor problems, but nothing compression related.

I notice you're getting zero on the test for two cylinders. Seems a bit odd to be getting zero, unless the piston is physically not moving in the block, which I really, really doubt.

What MIGHT be happenning is an electrical problem. Are you getting spark on all four plugs? what condition are the plugs in? I've had electrical and fuelling problems on the bandit which were quite easily fixed, even by a numpty like me (with a little help....).

It pays to have a reasonable idea of where the problem might be before dumping it in a shop. If you can check the spark and some of the electrics, if for no more reason than to eliminate them it might help. Is it turning over? Does it grind and crunch, or turn over smoothly? Does it spark/fire up, or just crank without sparking?

owner
12th January 2007, 22:15
I took it to suzuki shop I hope they had the right tool. but you cant stand over them and watch them work. I dont trust them which is why i took it to another shop to see if they have the same result. having no mates in the industry sucks balls

bumsex
14th January 2007, 10:47
even if they used the incorrect tool (compression tester) the readins would be consistently low across all 4 cylinders. Mechanics are not silly by the way: they know when a compression guage adaptor does not fit the bike properly as the leakage is genrally obvious.

If I were you I would have them perform a leakdown test as this will help to pinpoint the problem and help you to decide what course of action to take.

owner
24th January 2007, 11:17
What happened? and what to do now?
Is this a sign of over revving it or do cam chains just snap if they havent been changed for a while? .The rocker cover is off, Broken cam chain and 6 broken rocker arms:angry: four on intake side and two on the exhaust side the shop is taking the head off today. Maybe pistons and valves aswell. Well Ive rung heaps of wreckers in NZ. not one has any parts! WTF! and Emailed some in aussie..... waiting .
Has any one rebuilt a head like this before? Did it last? and how much should I expect to pay for each new rocker arm and a new cam chain ?

imdying
24th January 2007, 11:55
*cough* insurance job *cough*

Seriously though, cut your losses, dump it an buy something else... it would be a borderline waste of money to rebuild that 15 year old motor given the damage, and the availability of new rides.

owner
24th January 2007, 12:50
Holy shit ! I used to like suzuki's. 4500$ for 2weeks riding. 20$ a km. Im starting to think your right .cough Any body got a blue and white suzuki I would to pay you to take my ID and go get insurance for ME cough

imdying
24th January 2007, 13:08
Holy shit ! I used to like suzuki's.Nothing to do with Suzuki... they're didn't under maintain that bike... in fact, they even went to the trouble of supplying a handbook so that owners no exactly how often the bike should be serviced. Cam chains have a specific service life, exceed that at your peril.

owner
24th January 2007, 13:28
agreed! I shoulda got full service before riding it

imdying
24th January 2007, 13:39
It's a lotta money to cough up when you've just brought a bike, but without having servicing receipts with the bike when you brought it, you should probably get the cam chain done on something 15 years old. Happens though.

owner
24th January 2007, 14:17
Shit Im old 92 seems like yesterday. Im gunna get them to take the head off(next week now) price up the rebuild, if its more then 2500$ Ill bring it home throw it under the house and forget about it while still looking out for another engine or head. might try and do the swap myself ,eventually. shit happens. live and learn. ride to live, live to ride. Insurance aye?? Ive heard of that? never had it. Might be time to talk to some suits. Will a bike Insurance company do mechanical insurance on a old bike?

imdying
24th January 2007, 14:35
I was thinking more along the lines of having it 'stolen', but it's not a worth risk worth taking anyway, and I only mentioned it in jest.

If you've got the skills to dismantle it yourself, then rebuilding it becomes a more reasonable proposition. As you say, strip it and assess the damage and go from there :yes:

chavezonline
18th July 2007, 11:40
[Friend you can put the manual of gsxr 400 of 91 in pdf help please I have to repair this motorcycle failing

El Dopa
18th July 2007, 21:23
Hello Peru person.

Try http://www.gsxr400.com

Or

http://members.stormi.ca/BABBS/viewtopic.php?t=8977&sid=d36367e793c5b60634579824cbc1b3dd

owner
30th July 2007, 15:20
Hey BUddy,Any good gk76a motors in Peru? yip still looking for a motor for Torques old bike.

moT
7th August 2007, 20:42
wow ur bikes fucccccccccckkeeeedddddddddddddd!!!!! you will need a new head

westie
7th August 2007, 22:43
Make sure you check the crank for any twist. If the valves are bent it could possibly have twisted the crank. Very expensive to rebuild the engine and find out that the reason it doesn't fire correctly even with the timing set perfectly is because...........Yep I did it.