PDA

View Full Version : Good bike mechanic needed in Christchurch?

KX500
17th January 2007, 09:26
Gidday

Need a good motorbike mechanic to replace the crank seal on my KX500 please - Any recommendations ?

Need someone who knows what they are doing as the Big bore 2 Stroke will just spit the seal out again.

Cheers :yes:

SDU
17th January 2007, 09:44
Welcome to the KB nuthouse.
My partner had an KX500 a few years back. Loved it, I think he regrets letting that one go.
As for good mechanics have you talked to Al @Superiors in Cashel St
or Phil @ Dirt Action in Saxon St. I'm sure there are others but the 1st off road ones that came to my mind. Others can let you know there thoughts.

imdying
17th January 2007, 09:48
Another would be Duane at Duane's Bikes and Skis. I believe he was the Norjo mechanic for quite a while.

KX500
17th January 2007, 10:06
Cheerz fore the welcome

Yeah they are a great bike the dirty 5, even with the crank seal leaking the rear came round a full 180 the other day - new tyre and all :rockon:

The green dealers in CHCH here have given poor service in the past to me so want to stay well clear of them.

Duane at Duane's Bikes and Skis was recommended on trademe too :yes:
Could be the go - thanks

Anyone used Rex Russell ?

More recommendations would also be great ? - thanks

Ghost Lemur
17th January 2007, 11:48
Phil and Linton @ Dirt Action Services.

Can't recommend these guys highly enough, quite a few of the ChCh Dualsport Crew go to them. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

laRIKin
17th January 2007, 17:27
Welcome to the KB nuthouse.
My partner had an KX500 a few years back. Loved it, I think he regrets letting that one go.
As for good mechanics have you talked to Al @Superiors in Cashel St
or Phil @ Dirt Action in Saxon St. I'm sure there are others but the 1st off road ones that came to my mind. Others can let you know there thoughts.

Another would be Duane at Duane's Bikes and Skis. I believe he was the Norjo mechanic for quite a while.

Welcome as well and it was me that had the 93 KX500.
And loved it. :cry:
I agree they are the 3 of the top of my head as well and they do not mind if you just take the motor in.
In some ways they prefer it as it free's up work shop space.
And yes Duane use to work at Norjo's.
And but the way all 3 work on a lot on dirt bikes.

KX500
17th January 2007, 20:57
Nice friendly site :yes:

There were a few cheap KX 500's on trademe last year, I scored mine for $2500 2 years ago on traders.
Good bang for the buck - add one extra tooth from standard on the front gog one less on the back and 132 MPH is to be had - not bad for a motor x bike.

KX500
17th January 2007, 21:01
Will get quotes from all 3 - Ta - planing on taking motor out myself.

Lemans are you enjoying your KTM ? (take it that's yours in your avatar)

laRIKin
18th January 2007, 17:55
Lemans are you enjoying your KTM ? (take it that's yours in your avatar)

Yes it is and I do really like it, I can ride on and off road with as it is regoed.
It is a good bike to take to the Brass Monkey, via the back roads.
By the way it is a 03 640E and once you get use to the extra weight you can really rumble and keep some guys on skinny light weight bikes a run for their money.

And I would like another KX500, and one day who knows.
Hope SDU doesn't read this part.

Here is few pic's.
Some of them are from the set that is on the KB calendar.

cooneyr
19th January 2007, 09:04
I'm a complete noob when it comes to two stroke off road bikes other than riding a 91 RMX 250 for about 10 hours, but I'm kinda curious. Whats the power delivery like on the water cooled big bore 2 strokers i.e. the 1990's KX500 and the CR500? Do they have a really strong power band or are they a bit like the moder KTM 300 exc with good torque (as I understand them to have) or is it something completely different.

The though of a a 500cc two stroker with a really strong power band with good traction scares me. I guess they are also kinda hard on rear tyres whatever the case?

I've never seen one in the flesh or heard one run. Maybe a online video search at lunchtime would answer some questions.

Cheers R

KX500
19th January 2007, 10:02
Good design the KTM from what I have read - like the idea some parts are designed to come off and not be smashed when things do not go right and you hit the dirt.
Is SDU not a big bore 2 stroke fan ?

I like the idea of a dual purpose bike and was my original intention until the 5 hundie came up late one night on traders - my miss said buy it as she liked the colour and look - smart girl :yes:

cooneyr - Anything you want to know in detail about the KX500 can be had at KX Riders

KX500
19th January 2007, 10:03
Are those kool pics out at Mc Cleans Island ?

laRIKin
19th January 2007, 18:31
Do they have a really strong power band or are they a bit like the moder KTM 300 exc with good torque (as I understand them to have) or is it something completely different.

The though of a a 500cc two stroker with a really strong power band with good traction scares me. I guess they are also kinda hard on rear tyres whatever the case?

I use to have a KTM360 exc and that was tame and that was not like the 500 CooneyR.
POWER they just have it every where. :scooter:
Yes they are hard on tires, and they are great fun to slide out of corners, big fast corners and spin up the wheels on the straights as well.
And got to be real fun if the wheels hooked up.
The only bike that I could change gear while half way through a power slide in a corner. (long fast corners)

The only thing I did not like was jumping the KX 500.
As I never new if I was going to land on the front wheel or the back and loop out.
So I would only do biggish jump's so I could correct them in the air.

Good design the KTM from what I have read - like the idea some parts are designed to come off and not be smashed when things do not go right and you hit the dirt.
Is SDU not a big bore 2 stroke fan ?

I think that they are a good bike and well thought out, but then if I didn't, I wouldn't have one.:rofl:

Well SDU is not a 2 stroke fan to ride as she does not like the vibes and she is a lazy breaker, so is better off riding a 4 stroke as they have engine breaking.
And does not like the smell of 2 strokes.
One of the reasons I sold and have not had another 2 stroke is that they are that good to be used on the road and they do not like to be ridden slow when I'm riding with SDU off road.
Yeah I know you can jet them, but I like them to be a little oily down low to lube every thing when I shut off the throttle so thing's do not go bang, or should I say, stop turning.
So I use to change the jets when I use to ride with her, but that was a pain in the butt.
The other reason is we have 6 bikes all ready.

Are those kool pics out at Mc Cleans Island ?

Yes they are.

Hmmm I wonder if she would notice a 7th.

KX500
20th April 2008, 13:11
The dirty 5 is now finally fixed, but along wait for the Kawasaki dealership that is as arrogant in service as it is in its name .......

Have only had the motor back this week and they have had it since October, 7 months to reassemble a two stroke motor - unbelievable - lie after lie.