PDA

View Full Version : RG150: Removing swingarm pivot

Coyote
17th January 2007, 15:22
Trying to remove the engine and I've done everything except remove the swingarm pivot. It's the last thing holding on and it doesn't want to budge. What should I do?

Quickly getting fustrated. Broke the valve stem on top of a brand new can of CRC :angry:

FilthyLuka
17th January 2007, 17:46
got a big f##k off mallet? thats what i'd use

Madness
17th January 2007, 17:51
Checked the service manual? Could be something stupid like a left-hand thread?? The mallet idea is good, often a hard impact will work better than a constant delivery of torque.

Obviously I'm unfamiliar with this problem, hard to make out from the pics.

Drum
17th January 2007, 17:56
Leverage is your friend. Try putting a long steel pipe (say 1m to 2m or whatever you have lying around) over the handle of the ratchet and turning it that way.

Coyote
17th January 2007, 18:35
I've got my beloved chunky big rubber mallet that's been undoing all the bolts thus far. It's just this last one that won't budge. When I whack the rachet it gets levered off, and I can't get a spanner in because as you can see in the photo the frame surrounds the bolt. The manual doesn't metion it being left-hand thread but it could be, I'll give that a shot. Bicycles tend to have left-hand screws on the left side

Let you know what happens in the morning

imdying
18th January 2007, 10:05
The manual doesn't metion it being left-hand thread but it could be, I'll give that a shot. Bicycles tend to have left-hand screws on the left side

Oooer, this could end in tears..

Crisis management
18th January 2007, 10:29

Oh, go on, he hasn't got the gas axe out yet....:shit:

FilthyLuka
18th January 2007, 10:40
The manual doesn't metion it being left-hand thread but it could be, I'll give that a shot. Bicycles tend to have left-hand screws on the left side

baah!!! i see that going badly... get your man bar out, turn it left so to tighten it a little (1/10th of a turn) and then unscrew... repeat three times... bash... repeat... bash... repeat... bash

you get the picture

if the manual doesnt say its a left hand thread its not a left hand thread! are you sure there actually IS a thread... i know my gn is just a bolt and nut swing arm pivot... take off nut, bash out pivot... Try getting someone to hold up your swingarm whilst doing it to take pressure off the pivot.

riffer
18th January 2007, 10:44
Stupid things frozen in there, hasn't it?

You're gonna need to get some major leverage there Dan. Pipe on the end of a long socket set pry bar.

Before you get the oxy torch out...

Ivan
18th January 2007, 11:15
Just a question you are trying to get the nut off I assume?

WOnt be a left hand thread on a bike made in Thailand,

And your using a ratchet to undoe something thats tight? You do know that does wreck the ratchet, Get a strong arm and use that.

Have you got arattlegun normally slap a rattle gun on and let it rip nut will be off in a second

Coyote
18th January 2007, 12:46
Not yet...

Oh, go on, he hasn't got the gas axe out yet....:shit:
Don't have one. But I do have a handheld butane torch

baah!!! i see that going badly... get your man bar out, turn it left so to tighten it a little (1/10th of a turn) and then unscrew... repeat three times... bash... repeat... bash... repeat... bash

you get the picture

if the manual doesnt say its a left hand thread its not a left hand thread! are you sure there actually IS a thread... i know my gn is just a bolt and nut swing arm pivot... take off nut, bash out pivot... Try getting someone to hold up your swingarm whilst doing it to take pressure off the pivot.
My man bar?

I was told by RG100 that it wasn't left-handed last night so I haven't been tightening it all day. It could possibly not be threaded, but I tried whacking it out from the other end and it's stuck tight.

Stupid things frozen in there, hasn't it?

You're gonna need to get some major leverage there Dan. Pipe on the end of a long socket set pry bar.

Before you get the oxy torch out...
I was asking Dad if there was such thing as a simple bar with a socket plug on it. He wasn't sure. I was going out to supercheap soon to have a look. Already been in today to buy a new top-quality 17mm socket. It's tough. All I have is a torque wrench so I tried using that, but I ripped the adapter in half. The new socket doesn't even have a scratch.

Just a question you are trying to get the nut off I assume?

WOnt be a left hand thread on a bike made in Thailand,

And your using a ratchet to undoe something thats tight? You do know that does wreck the ratchet, Get a strong arm and use that.

Have you got arattlegun normally slap a rattle gun on and let it rip nut will be off in a second
I've already got the nut off from the right side, now I'm trying to slide the bolt out from the left so the swingarm and motor are free.

A strong arm I imagine is what riffer described as a pry bar?

And I don't have many fancy tools yet like a rattle gun. My electric drill is 30 years old, and the second one is 60

FilthyLuka
18th January 2007, 13:11
A strong arm I imagine is what riffer described as a pry bar?

or what i described as a man bar

big fuck off long metal bar, socket on the end, usually the end can turn 180 degrees from side to side...

imdying
18th January 2007, 13:25
Oooer, don't use a torque wrench unless you know it likes to undo things, some just bugger the calibration :( Don't know enough about tools to know how to identify which ones do or don't though.

This is what you want:
http://hand-tools.hardwarestore.com/22-401-socket-wrenches/1-2-drive-15-flex-handle-626054.aspx

FilthyLuka
18th January 2007, 13:38
okay, try this...

take the wheel off the swingarm. if theres weight on the swing arm, there is added friction on the pivot, making it harder to remove. After the wheel is off, detach (im sure thats spelt wrong) you suspension mounting. Now that there is no rear shock, get a mate or any random person to lift the swing arm so it is parralel to the floor... This should remove the majority of the strain on the pivot. Get your mate (whilst maintaining the parralel) to get the death grip on the swing arm... try to turn the bolt, if it turns, YAY! i doubt that the bolt is threaded because... well in my mind it sounds silly. turn it to get rid of any hardened crud, and then beat the mother f##ker out with a mallet. give your mate beer...

in that order :p

denden

FilthyLuka
18th January 2007, 13:39
Oooer, don't use a torque wrench unless you know it likes to undo things, some just bugger the calibration :( Don't know enough about tools to know how to identify which ones do or don't though.

This is what you want:
http://hand-tools.hardwarestore.com/22-401-socket-wrenches/1-2-drive-15-flex-handle-626054.aspx

yes... that indeed is a man bar...

riffer
18th January 2007, 13:43
FFS Daniel,

just go around to my place, talk to Gini and borrow my 1/2" socket set. Its got a bloody big bar on it that you can stick a pipe around the end of and use the added leverage to get the fucker off with.

riffer
18th January 2007, 13:45
I've already got the nut off from the right side, now I'm trying to slide the bolt out from the left so the swingarm and motor are free.

Hmmm. Maybe I should read your posts correctly.

Try putting the nut back on, tighten it up so there's most of the nut back on the bolt, then give it a whack with the rubber hammer. It should hopefully start coming out the other end.

Or you'll fuck the thread completely.

Coyote
18th January 2007, 14:25
Went into supercheap. Got a 'man bar', Dad and I paid half and half on it, plus a new adapter. Gave that a shot, still no luck

I'll do what Luka said. The swingarm was the next thing I was going to take off. I had only left it there cause not having the front wheel was a pain and I didn't want to go to the effort of putting that back on, and so I just left the rear wheel there as support

Off to the gargre!!

Coyote
18th January 2007, 15:10
The fucker will still not come off. Taken the wheel off, and I managed to disconnect the shock from the linkages. But still the swingarm pivot won't budge and nor will the linkages cause I tried getting them out the way

I've come on the computer to cool off before I punch in a wall again

FilthyLuka
19th January 2007, 06:30
son of b##ch... thats a tough f##ker... hmmm. okay, try this... although its gonna kinda be dodgy.

take your hand held butane torch and heat the area around the bolt (the side that the socket ISNT on), heat up all around it but not too much... do not heat the stud... do the swing arm dealie described before and try again. Once its heated. Turn it a little to tighten, then loosed a fuck load. If it doesnt work. Give it a fair beat with your mallet, or several fair beats. Tighten a little, then turn. repeat a few times. You might wanna slip a long pipe over your man bar for extra leverage...

denden

Coyote
19th January 2007, 12:57
son of b##ch... thats a tough f##ker... hmmm. okay, try this... although its gonna kinda be dodgy.

take your hand held butane torch and heat the area around the bolt (the side that the socket ISNT on), heat up all around it but not too much... do not heat the stud... do the swing arm dealie described before and try again. Once its heated. Turn it a little to tighten, then loosed a fuck load. If it doesnt work. Give it a fair beat with your mallet, or several fair beats. Tighten a little, then turn. repeat a few times. You might wanna slip a long pipe over your man bar for extra leverage...

denden
I was warned by the guy at the Repco counter that any obvious damage from a pipe being put onto the 'man bar' will void the warranty. And apparently the end can break and Powerbuilt will fix it for free, but if there's any other damage they won't. So I won't be trying that, and I'll stick to the rubber mallet.

I've taken the wiring loom out of the way, which I'm very proud of. Took a fair bit of work. I put the bike on it's side and tried to whack it from the nut end, no luck. I really need to take a torch to the engine where the pivot goes through. I could try to butane torch first but I don't see that generating enough heat.

Anyway, I'll try this tomorrow. Got to get ready for work so I can pay for all this

Aiolos
20th January 2007, 08:45
Your swingarm pivot is the last thing holding the engine on?
If it is, try more support under the engine, then bash the bolt out.

Coyote
21st January 2007, 10:17
YUSS! It's out!

Dad found a tool from our grandad's old stuff (in the second pic). The cone shape concentrated all the force from the largest mallet we had onto the bolt. Engine is out and the swingarm is off

The problem now is the linkages are rusted up too, and I broke the 17mm spanner and our ratchet. Our newly aquired strong arm should do it though

riffer
21st January 2007, 11:57
That tool you have in the second picture is called a drift.

Its a good choice as a tool to get the bolt out. Well done.

They are really good for getting out wheel bearings and steering head races too.

If you get stuck for tools, come around and borrow a few. I've got lots.

FilthyLuka
21st January 2007, 13:44
now remember when you put it back together, generous amounts of grease on the swing arm pivot... apply that shit liberallly and you wont have these problems next time!

riffer
22nd January 2007, 08:09
Yeah, and you might want to clean up that rust with some sandpaper too.

Crisis management
22nd January 2007, 08:22
Damn, you didn't get to try the gas axe...I was really looking forward to that!

Shows what a little corrosion will do eh? Well done getting it apart and still in useful pieces!

Coyote
22nd January 2007, 17:52
Got the linkages sorted out today. One bolt rounded off into a circle so that had to be grinded off. When I got it out it was bright white for some reason. Know what happened there?