PDA

View Full Version : Engine replacement: Suzuki GSX-R 86 - 91

weazzellboi
17th January 2007, 21:41
Hi All
my question is:
can an engine from a GSX-R 86 fit straight into a 91 model ?
if so, wot do i need to do to accomplish this mission?
All i wanna do is get my bike on the road.

any and all comments welcome.

cheers todd

Squiggles
17th January 2007, 22:13
am looking at the pictures of where the mounting bolts and bits go in my manual... 88-92 engines mount differently to 85-87 engines as there are different brackets and so the bolts dont go in the same places in the pictures (as well as a few additional brackets on the 88-92 engine) which i presume would make for an even greater difference with the real thing so i'd say no... bugger :(

kiwifruit
18th January 2007, 07:26
have a look / ask around here: http://www.gixxer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

im sure it can be done, but doubt its plug and play

Crisis management
18th January 2007, 07:32
It was a common (ish) conversion to put an 1100 into a 750 frame as in the early models they were identical. I'm not sure about the 91 as I thought there was a re-engineer of the whole model for the 1990 release.

As suggested above hunt the Gixer forums (old school suzuki)??? was a good reference.

Good luck.

riffer
18th January 2007, 08:46
What tools do you have at your disposal?

Mounts can be fabricated and provided you can get it in straight and it fits you should be able to do it.

Of course there's all the other issues like wiring harnesses may be different, the front sprocket may not be perfectly in line with the rear sprocket, but dammit, if you really want to, and you have the time, energy, money and talent, you'll get there.

But this is probably not what you want to hear is it? Knowing Suzuki, they probably changed the angle of the head in relation to the crankcase as well as the position, so, the easy answer is probably no it won't fit.

geoffm
19th January 2007, 18:05
It has been a while since I had my 1990 model, but I would be VERY surprised it if was a straight swap. The 1990 went back to the long stroke motor, and the carbs were different,a nd slightly tilted. I know the previous model headers are different.
IIRC the 1990L-92 N models weres the same apart from bodywork, until the WP water cooled models came out

Karitane pete
28th January 2007, 12:22
According to WWW.Gixxer.com forums, any oil cooled gsxr engine will fit in to any oil cooled frame, hell you can fit a 1200 bandit in a 1985 750 frame (have to take cam cover off to make room and refit once in)