PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem with a ZXR250...

Meekey_Mouse
19th January 2007, 18:43
Please help me!!! I've taken it to the mechanics, he has done the carbs and sparkplugs, said he couldn't feel anything when he rode it. My brother has ridden it and he agree's that it is doing the following. I have no idea why this bike is doing this...

In first gear between 4-6,000rpm it feels like its about to run outta fuel, almost dies for like 4-5 slow seconds then jumps back in at 6,000 rpm, in other gears it does it at 8,000... feels like its runnin outta gas then jumps back in after like 4-7seconds at bout 10,000. In 5th and 6th gears it sometimes does it at 12,000.

It is quite bad in town (a lot of accelerating and de - accelerating), also when going around corners... anything the revs go through those levels in.

Any advice would be muchly appreciated!

Jas

WarlockNZ
19th January 2007, 19:18
Please help me!!! I've taken it to the mechanics, he has done the carbs and sparkplugs, said he couldn't feel anything when he rode it. My brother has ridden it and he agree's that it is doing the following. I have no idea why this bike is doing this...

In first gear between 4-6,000rpm it feels like its about to run outta fuel, almost dies for like 4-5 slow seconds then jumps back in at 6,000 rpm, in other gears it does it at 8,000... feels like its runnin outta gas then jumps back in after like 4-7seconds at bout 10,000. In 5th and 6th gears it sometimes does it at 12,000.

It is quite bad in town (a lot of accelerating and de - accelerating), also when going around corners... anything the revs go through those levels in.

Jas

Have you flushed the tank and checked to see if there is any crap in the fuel line??

and do you have the workshop manual for the ZXR ??

MyGSXF
19th January 2007, 19:33
Hi MM.. sorry to hear you are having troubles with the new toy chickie!!

I spent last weekend with a friend giving mine a good going over, as she was running like a bag of shite!!! :sick: sounds kinda like what yours is doing. :yes:

We drained the bottom of the carbys & got out a small amount of fuel.. which contained... rust dust!!! :gob: even just doing that made a hell of a difference!!! We also put a small fuel filter in the line too.. to hopefully stop that problem happening again!

Hope you can get it sorted soon!!! :Punk:

Jen :rockon:

slimjim
20th January 2007, 10:38
yea i'll strip and clean your fuel system,and would fit brand new fuel filter,cause it could be a bit of blockage some where, and if you can even get to the point of removing the tank ,so a good shake and flush maybe required if you find anything, if not this then get a dyno check,

Meekey_Mouse
21st January 2007, 11:33
Thanks for the help guys/gals,

I'm going to ride it till I have to put it onto reserve then ride it home... hopefully that way we'll be able to safely empty the tank (last time was a bit scary :shit: ) then I'll flush it and put a filter in wherever that is supposed to go. Hopefully that'll do it

kiwifruit
21st January 2007, 12:18
take it back to chris

N4CR
21st January 2007, 14:02
cOULD BE A FUELLING PROBLEM AS SAID ABOVE CHECK FILTER IN THE LINE. FAILING THAT DOES IT CUT OUT AT CERTAIN RPMS? COULD BE VACUUM HOSE ON THE TOP OF THE AIRBOX NOT PLUGGED IN PROPERLY. MINE USED TO HAVE A MINOR FLAT SPOT AT ABOUT 3K WHEN YOU'RE IN 5TH/6TH.

GENERALLY THAT SORT OF FILTER PROBLEM WOULD BE MORE NOTICEABLE AT HIGHER RPM WITH MORE FUEL FLOW BUT BLAH. TRIED RUNNING HALF A CUP OF METHS INTO YOUR TANK WITH ABOUT 3/4-2/3RDS FUEL IN IT? THAT WILL CLEAR OUT ANY WATER BUT WATER WON'T CAUSE A CONSISTANT FLATSPOT... BUT SOMETHING TO TRY ANYWAY.

TAKE IT BACK TO THE SHOP ALSO.

mynameis
25th January 2007, 14:26
Mate had a similar problem and got a "full big" service on it and runs awesome and smooth, no misses anywhere at all.

Get the CARBS cleaned and balanced by a pro and get them to set it to the conditions. Don't let anyone fuck around with it or try and do things exactly the way stated in the manual.

It has to be adjusted to the conditions not what the manual says. The bikes old now. Take it to a experienced mechanic and they will know. Failing that try carby cleaner sold for about $10 at Super Cheap Auto guaranteed you will see the difference! Good luck!

T.I.E
25th January 2007, 14:38
possibly that there may ba a small fuel leak which is sucking in air, once past the rpms so to speak the bike starts sucking in more fuel and less air. can cause the bike to run lean, easy way to check is remove spark plugs and see what color they are, if they turn out to be of a white color, instead of black the your bike is running to lean.
there could be problems with carb set up, but id say take it back.
caution you could be doing damage to the bike, not alot but over time it will add up.
let us know what it was.

oldrider
25th January 2007, 14:46

Jas

It's not icing up is it? Have a mechanic check it out for that, I had that problem on a Honda ST1100 and they ended up modifying them.
Your problem sounds just like that.
Mind you it was in the cold of winter. Cheers John.