PDA

View Full Version : Leaking oil like there's no tomorrow.

caesius
22nd January 2007, 11:06
A 2-stroke of mine was always leaking a bit of oil - not too much of a problem for me but I decided it was high time to take it to a mechanic and get it sorted.

Well it's back and now it's leaking more oil than before. The mech said he replaced a worn crank seal...so why the hell does it leak even more now?!

It slowly drips if the engine is off (like before) but now it cries the black stuff when it's running! Where should I start!

FilthyLuka
22nd January 2007, 11:15
loctite and tighten all the bolts... tighten them with the man bar to make sure they're nice and tight... not too tight though :p

what probaby happening, few bolts are loose as a whore, and then oil drips, turn it on, pressure is built up and the mofo cries...

make sure the dude put the proper crank seal on... not some shitty liquid gasket foolery!

denden

Ixion
22nd January 2007, 11:24
Is it two stroke oil or transmission oil ?

caesius
22nd January 2007, 11:35
Good question I forgot to mention that it was transmission oil.

James Deuce
22nd January 2007, 11:38
MAke sure you talk to the mechanic before posting stuff on here.

Have you told the guy it's leaking more and needs looking at?

If not it's a bit unfair to mention it on here first.

Don't go tightening bolts up without knowing what torque figures they should be tightened to.

imdying
22nd January 2007, 11:42
loctite and tighten all the bolts... tighten them with the man bar to make sure they're nice and tight... not too tight though Please don't do this.

Don't go tightening bolts up without knowing what torque figures they should be tightened to.This man has rooted stuff before :lol:

Can't be too many places for the trans to leak. Clean up the crank case with some kero (cheap n easy from Pak n Save) and a tooth brush. Find the leak. Take it to the mechanic and say it's also leaking here, could you please fix that one too :yes:

Of course you could skip the kero and take it back to the mechanic 'look nigger, my mofo bike is still leaking oil... sort it right this time hoe or next time I'll pop a cap n your ass fewl'.

caesius
22nd January 2007, 11:49
I'm not going to name the mechanic, to be fair he said there were a couple of other leaks "that would cost a lot because the engine has to be opened to get at them". But for the work done I'd expect it to leak at least *a little* less.

FilthyLuka
22nd January 2007, 12:18
Please don't do this.

you're absolutely right... leave all the bolts loose :scratch:

imdying
22nd January 2007, 12:20
you're absolutely right... leave all the bolts loose :scratch:For starters, loctite isn't usually the sealant for transmission cases.

FilthyLuka
22nd January 2007, 12:22
For starters, loctite isn't usually the sealant for transmission cases.

OH! my bad, sorry dude, i guess i should have explained better. Put loctite on the BOLTS that hold the tranny case on so they dont loosen themselves with vibration... then again i probably only need to do that as ive got a thumper...

my bad, apologies.

denden

imdying
22nd January 2007, 12:26
Torque them up properly and they won't fall out... it's what the factory does.

Ixion
22nd January 2007, 12:33
Good question I forgot to mention that it was transmission oil.

Then changing the crank seal is unlikely to alter matters. Crank seals seal two stroke oil . If a crank seal was leaking transmisison oil, the oil would go into the crankcase and be burned.

caesius
22nd January 2007, 16:38
Then changing the crank seal is unlikely to alter matters. Crank seals seal two stroke oil

Really? Don't know why it was replaced then as it was CLEARLY transmission oil; the engine oil is still green...

Oh well, I guess it never hurts to have a new crank seal? Now to stop that oil...

Nutter34
22nd January 2007, 17:13
OK, photo time... enough of this it's leaking crap. Show a pic of where, so everyone can establish a theory..
It could be coming out of the gear select shaft, during riding and building up for all we know...

At the very least, say which side of the motor it's leaking from...

I have a leak, means SFA...

caesius
22nd January 2007, 17:21
OK, photo time... enough of this it's leaking crap. Show a pic of where, so everyone can establish a theory..

LOL fair enough I guess whining about a general leak is a pain in the arse. Will I have to dismantle much to see where it's coming from? It's dripping from the bottom of both exhusts, straight down from the seat.

imdying
22nd January 2007, 17:36
I'd say if oil is dripping from the seat of your diamond back mountain bike, you need to seriously review your diet...

What sort of bike are we talking about here?

caesius
22nd January 2007, 22:35
Here's me feeling a bit of an idiot because the oil leak seems to have, well...subsided... Still leaking, just a teeny bit.

??? I'm confused as to why this happened.

Thanks for answers anyway.

imdying
23rd January 2007, 09:52
Can't be too many places for the trans to leak. Clean up the crank case with some kero (cheap n easy from Pak n Save) and a tooth brush. Find the leak. Take it to the mechanic and say it's also leaking here, could you please fix that one too :yes:10 f***in chars..

caesius
23rd January 2007, 16:42
Right, the mechanic has said the other leaks would require the engine to be opened so there's not much point.

imdying
23rd January 2007, 17:46
Why not much point? Can't cost much to open the box on a two stroke.

sizzlingbadger
23rd January 2007, 18:43
Here's me feeling a bit of an idiot because the oil leak seems to have, well...subsided... Still leaking, just a teeny bit.

??? I'm confused as to why this happened.

Thanks for answers anyway.

They all stop leaking eventually... not long after that they just stop altogether.

Ixion
23rd January 2007, 19:33
Maybe all the oil has now leaked out and there is none left to leak.

caesius
24th January 2007, 07:11
Maybe all the oil has now leaked out and there is none left to leak.

Haha, yes I checked that.

Don't know about the cost of ripping open the engine, the mech said it would be a "major job" anyway.

scumdog
24th January 2007, 07:18
Get a Harley - at least then you'll know WHY you have a leak:yes:

Well so say a lot on this site - mainly the 'other' type of riders, the ones that don't have one but want one:whistle: :nya:

(Sorry I can't actually be of any assistance)

caesius
30th January 2007, 08:19
Right, I've taken off the tank, fairings, muffler. The whole underside of the crank case is covered with oil. I'm gonna get some kerosene and clean it up to try and find the leak(s). I can see one of the leaks, it's from "that rectangle-box bit that juts out from the side of where the piston runs". Don't laugh at the description. Looks like it had a spray gasket, might buy some gasket sheet and make a new one.

Edbear
30th January 2007, 09:08
it's from "that rectangle-box bit that juts out from the side of where the piston runs". Don't laugh .

Sorry, but:killingme :killingme :killingme :killingme You're not related to the guy who's "clutch gear foot thingy" fell off are you?

You gotta learn some way and giving it a go is the Kiwi tradition! :yes: Hope you get it sorted.

cheese
30th January 2007, 09:32
If the oil coming out the exhaust is white its trans oil.

Cost me about $300 for spectrum to split my engine redo the bearings and new fit crank seals.

where are you in NZ? And what is your bike?

caesius
31st January 2007, 23:04
$300 sounds alright.

I'm in Hawkes Bay, my bike's a stroker, a Kawasaki KR-1S. Thanks for replies, I'm gonna do some more work on the leak after I finish cleaning the carbs.

stanko
2nd February 2007, 10:59
After 28 posts you finally reveal the bike type. the crankcases are probably split horizontaly so the bottom one acts like a pan to contain the gearbox oil. My guess is the clutch cover gasket is rooted, and the mechanic (?) didnt replace it with a new item. So now it leaks more.

pete376403
2nd February 2007, 14:21
Or maybe the seal behind the drive chain sprocket is leaking, the oil gets onto the chain and gets flung off everywhere (you did say its dripping from under the seat)

Supercheap sell aerosol degreaser (which smells like mostly diesel) - spray on hose off about $3 per can

caesius
2nd February 2007, 17:56
After 28 posts you finally reveal the bike type.
Yea sorry.

the crankcases are probably split horizontaly so the bottom one acts like a pan to contain the gearbox oil. My guess is the clutch cover gasket is rooted, and the mechanic (?) didnt replace it with a new item. So now it leaks more.

Thanks for the educated guess, it gives me something to look for so I can go back and say "The XXX seal is leaking" rather than "The bike's leaking".

Ixion
2nd February 2007, 18:06
Um. Weren't you also having a problem with the crankcase seal leaking oil into the engine?

The reaosn I ask is because a leaking crankcase seal on a two stroke can cause quite major transmission oil loss, because the pressure from the crankcase prressurises the transmission cavity and blows oil out the breather. Which typically has the symptoms you describe.

caesius
3rd February 2007, 11:56
The mechanic replaced the crankcase seal.

Motig
4th February 2007, 08:26
and ??????????

caesius
4th February 2007, 08:46
And it still leaks oil more than can be ignored.

So that "rectangle box thing" I described above, is it the power valve?