PDA

View Full Version : VR 750 Honda Sabre 82

Motoerhead
30th January 2007, 20:37
Hi to all. I have a problem with my clutch, everytime after heading up ( aprrox. 20 min.) the gear goes very rough in and I hear and feel the tooth, especially when I stop and put the 1 gear back in. What can I do??

FilthyLuka
5th February 2007, 10:30
i had that kind of problem... your gonna laugh at me but check your chain tension. I had a loose chain and the gear changes started sounding funky, adjusted the chain, and now its all sweet. When was the last time you did an oil change? what oil are you using?

vifferman
5th February 2007, 10:35
Another thing you can do is check your clutch - it's hydraulic, isn't it? You may need to bleed it and replace the fluid. Check also that the slave cylinder isn't fubared - it's a common ailment on older Hondas with hydraulic clutches.

FilthyLuka
5th February 2007, 10:44
yes indeedy vifferman is right. If you have air in your hydro clutch system, it expands when it gets hot, so your clutch will always be kinda pulled in ish once the system has heated up...

imdying
5th February 2007, 13:47
yes indeedy vifferman is right. If you have air in your hydro clutch system, it expands when it gets hot, so your clutch will always be kinda pulled in ish once the system has heated up...
That's not true.

roadracingoldfart
5th February 2007, 20:41
Another hassle encountered on early Honda Hydro clutch units is that folks fit accessory levers which dont have quite the same travel as original and you get a shorter stroke at the clutch end as a result. It dosnt take a big diff to effect this but a few layers of tape to try to compensate is all it takes to confirm it. AHHHHH the mighty Sabre----shit loads of power and nasty corner manners lol, i remember them well !!!!!
Cheers Paul.

FilthyLuka
6th February 2007, 13:22
That's not true.

what happens when air gets hot? it expands. if air is present withing a hydraulic system and it expands, it will apply pressure to whatever is at the end of it. I had this problem with unbled hydraulic brakes on a beemer 3 series, i dont see why a clutch should be any different. start up, clutch works fine. As everything gets hotter, if there is air in the clutch hydro system, it will expand, effectively having a similar effect to pulling the clutch in a wee bit. correct me if im wrong, please

imdying
6th February 2007, 14:27
what happens when air gets hot? it expands. if air is present withing a hydraulic system and it expands, it will apply pressure to whatever is at the end of it. I had this problem with unbled hydraulic brakes on a beemer 3 series, i dont see why a clutch should be any different. start up, clutch works fine. As everything gets hotter, if there is air in the clutch hydro system, it will expand, effectively having a similar effect to pulling the clutch in a wee bit. correct me if im wrong, pleaseThe air will compress before it has anywhere near the ability to disengage the clutch springs.

FilthyLuka
6th February 2007, 15:11
The air will compress before it has anywhere near the ability to disengage the clutch springs.

ahh, i see. either way it cant hurt to bleed the system and put fresh fluid in.

imdying
6th February 2007, 15:51
Yep, you should change it every year regardless of age etc. Rego time is the best, easiest to remember. Many of the problems associated with hydraulic clutches are due to old fluid corroding the lower working surfaces of the cylinders, which in turn causes the seals to get cut out, and thus leak.

DEATH_INC.
6th February 2007, 20:43
Hi to all. I have a problem with my clutch, everytime after heading up ( aprrox. 20 min.) the gear goes very rough in and I hear and feel the tooth, especially when I stop and put the 1 gear back in. What can I do??
Try changing the engine oil if it hasn't been done for a bit, it may help.Maybe bleed/renew the clutch fluid too, ya never know. Don't worry about the chain though, you don't have one. :dodge:

Motoerhead
10th February 2007, 21:13
Another hassle encountered on early Honda Hydro clutch units is that folks fit accessory levers which dont have quite the same travel as original and you get a shorter stroke at the clutch end as a result. It dosnt take a big diff to effect this but a few layers of tape to try to compensate is all it takes to confirm it. AHHHHH the mighty Sabre----shit loads of power and nasty corner manners lol, i remember them well !!!!!
Cheers Paul.

I changed the lever few weeks ago after the old one broke and if I look back than the trouble started. Today I change the travel from the lever..and look....much better...still not perfect but will go now step by step and follow one advice after the other..But that was allready 70% next is bleeding and fluid...keep riding:Punk: