PDA

View Full Version : A bit of advice please gsxr750g

Hans
7th February 2007, 19:34
Howdy, can anyone tech savvy tell me if there's any typical damage to the bottom end associated with a broken conrod that's decided to leave the engine?
Obviously aside from the ripped casing. I'm looking to use the engine mainly as a bottom end parts source and I'm wondering if this may not be such a great idea in the first place.

FROSTY
8th February 2007, 00:09
ripped up bearing is my first thought.Followed by --where did all that swarf go to?

Crisis management
9th February 2007, 13:50
It could be perfect (as perfect as a 21 year old engine can be) or completely stuffed. There's a large shock loading when something like that lets rip and you have to consider what caused it, (an awful lot of revs?), so it doesn't sound like a lovingly tended motor before that came out for air, does it?

I would expect some twisting on the crank: so thats a crank straighten and new bearings at least. What parts were you expecting to find useful?

vifferman
9th February 2007, 13:57
Apart from obvious damage, there's probably no way to tell apart from getting it crack-tested.

Hans
11th February 2007, 13:23
I was hoping to use the crank itself /maybe, obviously/ one or two cylinder liners, and a piston or two. Bearings gone on old crank also one liner and piston Fked.

Hans
12th February 2007, 10:09
OK, no need to worry anymore, didn't win the auction...