PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder re-sleeving

R6_kid
10th February 2007, 17:32
Where can i get this done, preferably in auckland, and what sort of costs would i be looking at?

SpankMe
10th February 2007, 17:41
Performance Engineering did an excellent job doing an engine rebuild and re-sleeve on my GB (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=315278#post315278). They used to be on Barrys Point Rd, but have moved. I will find out where too.

Motu
10th February 2007, 17:43
Any engine reconditioner can do it.How many...who will supply the sleeves,them or you?

R6_kid
10th February 2007, 19:29
just the one (at the moment) i have to finish stripping the engine down tomorrow, gotta take the crank out etc so its going to be a bit of a mission.

Been looking on ebay and i may be able to get a set of wiseco cylinder sleeves, possibly a full piston and ring kit too depending on how extensive the damage is... im guessing it'll be bad as i found three pieces of the sleeve in the sump, equalling up to the size of an old 50c coin.

FROSTY
10th February 2007, 19:34
My honest opinion here dude.
You are possibly buying yaself a passle of trouble just resleeving.
Your gonna need to check all crank bearings etc for swarf through the motor as a minimum
Save yaself a lot of heartach and longterm money and buy a second hand motor.

R6_kid
10th February 2007, 19:47
i hear what your saying frosty, it's US$1000 plus freight to get second hand engine to NZ. I'll check with Victorian wreckers in Aussie but i doubt they'll have anything cheaper.

The bits that i have found make up most of it, but its the little bits i'm gonna have to search for. Gonna be an interesting next week or two in my garage i think! In a way im looking forward to getting in amongst the engine, but like you say the easy fix is a new engine with low km's/miles.

R6_kid
11th February 2007, 19:49
Looks like three of the cylinders are gonna need a re-sleeve or at minimum a re-hone to get them smooth again. Havent yet split the casings so cant tell the condition of the pistons other than the crowns.

Found another bit of the sleeve in the oil-pump pickup, with a few other really tiny bits, hoping that I dont find too much more elsewhere.

FROSTY
11th February 2007, 19:54
Mate--give it up --talk to vic wreckers--and the crowd on the gold coast.
If ya really wanna --build this one up slowly as a rocketship

R6_kid
11th February 2007, 19:57
If ya really wanna --build this one up slowly as a rocketship

hehe, i've already found an overbore kit :gob:

Motu
11th February 2007, 19:58
And what caused the sleeves to break?

R6_kid
11th February 2007, 20:01
Havent got that far yet, its off center so doesnt look to be the gudgeon pin, guess i'll find out when i split the casings. I found one other person who had the problem, except that their bike had a mere 76,532 MILES on it... apparently its a 'factory flaw in the metal'. Their solution - scored a AMA Supersport spec R6 engine with 0.5hrs dyno time... i can only hope!

kickingzebra
11th February 2007, 20:15
hmm... overbore = not raceable in F2

SpankMe
12th February 2007, 12:50
Performance Engineering are now called Engine Specialties Ltd and have moved to 96 Hillside Rd, Glenfield. Speak to David Heys or Glen Jennett.

ph. 489 4806 or 444 4213

I went to see them today to check out their new bigger premises and say hello to the guys. David wanted to know how the GB was going and I told him it hasn't missed a beat since he rebuilt it. Davids a biker and they've done engine rebuilds for race bikes.

Go check them out. They do good work.

N4CR
12th February 2007, 13:13
apparently its a 'factory flaw in the metal'.

coming from mr 'i warm my bike up' :second: :lol:

R6_kid
12th February 2007, 16:41
coming from mr 'i warm my bike up' :second: :lol:

i wait til the temp gauge no longer says 'low' (comes on at 40deg) which gives me time to put my gloves, mp3 player and helmet on. bitch.

R6_kid
12th February 2007, 21:03
Well its all apart now, i'm off to Engine Specialties tomorrow to see what they say. It does look to be a simple fact of the sleeve 'just failing' in the sense that there is no extensive damage to the piston on that cylinder, looks as though a new set of rings will do the trick.

Motu
13th February 2007, 06:27
Liner creap,sloppy manufacturing tolerances.The Mitsi 4D55 used to do that....the cure was to fit liners with a lip at the top so they are positvely located.

Shaun
13th February 2007, 07:47
hmm... overbore = not raceable in F2

mmmm Yoshi cams = Not raceable in SS600 class

R6_kid
13th February 2007, 10:26
Well the guys at Engine Specialties had a look. The prognosis:
$400+ per sleeve to machine out old one and fit new one - needed on two cylinders.

+ two cylinder sleeves at around $400

pistons are worn and will need replacing soon - best to do it now:
+$480US plus shipping

+ honing on other two cylinders.

OR

new engine approx $1500 plus shipping.

bistard
13th February 2007, 10:29
mmmm Yoshi cams = Not raceable in SS600 class

Its never worried you before Shaun,whats the concern??
ha ha haha

Shaun
13th February 2007, 11:14
Its never worried you before Shaun,whats the concern??
ha ha haha

Quite in the cheep seats mate

bistard
13th February 2007, 11:22
Quite in the cheep seats mate

Come on,where is your sense of humour!!
Its only cheating when you are caught
Mate you need spell check "QUIET"

Shaun
13th February 2007, 11:35
Come on,where is your sense of humour!!
Its only cheating when you are caught
Mate you need spell check "QUIET"

Why, you understood what I said

R6_kid
20th February 2007, 08:59
you dont have to be a rocket scientist to see that the cylinder is screwed, if you look in the top right you will see the beginings of a crack running down the other cylinder too.

N4CR
20th February 2007, 09:03
ouch....

heating up to quick and expanding too quick? wtf causes that...

R6_kid
20th February 2007, 09:11
i think it cracked (one side of the pissing piece is a vertical straight line), i'm not sure what caused it to rip the chunk out, possibly a ring caught it, but theres not that much room for the piston to over-run... either way it got forced downwards as all the shit was in the sump and oil strainer.

dickytoo
20th February 2007, 13:06
having been down the replating road, i would say new engine is your best bet. had too many problems with quality of replating to want to do that again.