PDA

View Full Version : RGV 250 rebuild cost

Yakman12
18th February 2007, 17:26
Just wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of the cost of a full engine rebuild for a 1989 rgv 250

i'm talking pistons, rings, bearings

just need a figure to give me an idea

F5 Dave
19th February 2007, 16:56
No.

That's no where near a full rebuild. An 89 is just as likely to have the crank & gearbox (2nd esp) shagged. But it is usual for the powervalves to be knackered & drop into the pistons (esp the top one) which takes out the barrels, (need to replate).

So, lots.

Have to strip it to find out. If you haven't already don't buy it. If you have then strip it & then spend the money on beer to console yourself. Sorry for being a krunt.

imdying
19th February 2007, 17:10
What Dave says is true. If you really have to have an RGV (and I definitely understand if you do!!!) get the latest one you can find... 93- would be nice. Then when that blows, do that one up. You'll end up spending a heap, you might as well have the flash banana arm, USD forks, model to start with.

Yakman12
19th February 2007, 18:02
Sorry for being a krunt.

hey don't be sorry, i would rather be told than regret things

i have a post with some more details about the bike here:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=44468

some more advice would be awesome

cheers

onearmedbandit
19th February 2007, 18:04
You wouldn't have much change from $3000 for a top end rebuild (using new factory parts) on one of those, in fact you'd probably spend more than that. And as Dave points out, then there's the bottom end...

Ixion
19th February 2007, 21:58
if that's the one with the "oil squirters" "a bit gone" I'd be immensely suspicious. That sounds like code for it's been seized and the crank is buggered. $5000 for parts maybe.

Yakman12
19th February 2007, 22:22
if that's the one with the "oil squirters" "a bit gone" I'd be immensely suspicious. That sounds like code for it's been seized and the crank is buggered. $5000 for parts maybe.

yep i think your right, i had another chat with the guy and he told me to "do the oil and petrol mix yourself because it will run better"

sounds awefully dodgy

i'm gonna give this bike a miss