PDA

View Full Version : NZ researchers find 'colour key' to biker safety

Bob
12th August 2004, 00:56
Researchers in New Zealand have concluded increased visibility makes bikers safer. The report, published in the British Medical Journal, compared 490 riders who had accidents compared to 1,233 motorcyclists randomly selected from roadside surveys in the same region and time period.

The researchers concluded motorcyclists dressed in reflective or fluorescent clothing had a 37 percent lower risk than motorcyclists dressed in darker colors. Those who wore a white helmet instead of a black helmet lowered their risk by 24 percent; a light-colored helmet reduced the risk by 19 percent. Furthermore, the three-quarter of drivers who voluntarily turned on their headlights during the daytime lowered their risk of injury by 27 percent.

bluninja
12th August 2004, 06:06
Is it the flourescent gear? or is it that the people who would choose (in the absence of legislation) to wear this have a more safety focused attitude and therefore would have a reduced accident rate regardless of what they wear?

I wonder if they did the same survey and compared accident rates of BMW riders v Jap inline 4s they would say that BMWs are safer?

DEATH_INC.
12th August 2004, 06:38
I dunno......The first big crash I had was on a bright yellow bike,had a 90/100 headlight,and a white helmet.Yet a cage still pulled in front of me......maybe it was the black jacket......

rodgerd
12th August 2004, 07:33
Is it the flourescent gear? or is it that the people who would choose (in the absence of legislation) to wear this have a more safety focused attitude and therefore would have a reduced accident rate regardless of what they wear?

It's because if you have a white helmet, white bike, and a fluro vest, the previously blind car drivers suddenly notice a "police bike".

Ash Wells
12th August 2004, 07:53
Years ago,when motorbike cops were common I had a Honda CX500 Turbo - with its white fairing etc. The effect it had on other road users was amazing,people gave way,no-one ever pulled out on me,and the double take people did when they saw it let you know they had registered your presence every time.

Holy Roller
12th August 2004, 15:07
Back in the 80's while working for a security company I rode a XR500A with my trusty white open face helmet with a black clip on peak. It was surprising the number of cars that visiably reduced their speed when they saw me or when I was following them, The XR was no cop bike must have been the security jacket and helmet.

Blakamin
12th August 2004, 15:24

No, its coz most people laugh at people with fluoro gear, so they tend to stand out more!
eg. "look at that tool mum!" :D