PDA

View Full Version : vtr 250 with hole in piston

Yakman12
25th February 2007, 15:27
hey i'm looking at a vtr 250 thats for sale, but one of the pistons has a hole in it

what i'm wondering is what would cause the piston to do this? and what else in the engine is likely to have broken along with the piston?

cheers

onearmedbandit
25th February 2007, 15:37
Ran too lean, excessive heat, melted piston. Or dropped a valve and holed a piston. Unless the guy is paying you to take it away forget about it.

Motu
25th February 2007, 15:39
Normally detonation,caused by over advanced ignition and other possibles.The melted piston bits will be in the bottom end.Total strip and clean is in order....and find the cause of course.I doubt if it is worth it unless you get it for free.

Hans
25th February 2007, 16:31
Quote from ad:
"Blew a hole in the top of piston about 6 months ago. Sadly dont have the time or the money to repair, hence the low price, my loss, your gain"

Tui ad anyone?

Wants 2500 for buy now. Can't be serious can he?

onearmedbandit
25th February 2007, 16:45
Call the police, he's on drugs! And good ones at that.

fozz rock
25th February 2007, 16:47
yes

if he can get $2.500 for it

Crisis management
25th February 2007, 18:30
Believe these guys, they don't lie about mechanical stuff (well Motu does sometimes....)
Don't buy a bike thats not going unless you are very experienced with mechanical repairs, the fault you see is only 10% of the problem.

Buy a bike with wof, rego and after a check by a bike shop....nothing else is worth touching.

Yakman12
25th February 2007, 19:17
Buy a bike with wof, rego and after a check by a bike shop....nothing else is worth touching.

yeah thats is definately my plan, i'm just asking for interests sake... sounds like this guy is a complete dreamer haha

Pathos
25th February 2007, 23:17
they don't lie about mechanical stuff (well Motu does sometimes....)

riiight ...

surely you are referring to some obvious tongue in cheek ...