PDA

View Full Version : Engine transplant & VIN

Enervation
8th March 2007, 22:57
I bought a '89 GSXR250 a few weeks ago, and have slowly been fixing the minor issues it has had, and today I discovered that somewhere in its life it has had a engine transplant.
On the LTSA papers it says the engine is a J703-xxxx (standard for a 89 gsxr250), but upon inspection of the engine, it is stamped with J701-xxxx. Comparing the standard engine to mine, the only difference I can see is that my cylinder head doesn't have cooling fins, and the cam cover is more 'bulgy', but the rest seems the same. Googling J701 doesn't bring anything up - my guess is that its some early model engine perhaps.

Anyway, my real concern currently is that as no one has informed LTSA of this transplant, the engine number is now incorrect. Am I technically required to report this change?
Also any info about this J701 engine would help me alot.

xwhatsit
8th March 2007, 23:00
I asked about this a little while back when I seized my engine -- eventually I managed to repair the engine, so I didn't go through the process myself so can't give you exact details. However, as far as I can recall it's not really an issue, like you have to re-register or anything. I think just the next time you go through your WOF they will record the engine number and that will go on the VIR or something.

Can't remember exactly, but I don't think it's a big issue, and it's definitely not as important as a frame number.

Disco Dan
8th March 2007, 23:05
I would just ring LTSA and ask.

...do you not check such things before you buy?

Enervation
9th March 2007, 15:56
Haha, probably should have checked - first time buying, but lesson learnt :)
Still rapt with the deal though, was well within budget - so another engine transplant may happen soon - theres a nice looking engine in Chch atm, might pick that up if I can.

Sounds good if theres no certification needed, they seem to charge through the nose for that.

After looking around, I've think its a GF/GS250 engine - apparently similarish power, but lower revving. Doesn't feel like 41hp though.

If I were to go ahead and stick an original gsxr250 engine in, would I be likely to encounter problems with mounts? Exhaust pipes? Could I use the same ignition coils & transitorized distributor thingee?

crazybigal
9th March 2007, 16:15
i wouldnt worry about it mate, just when you go to sell it tell the next guy about it.

FlyingDutchMan
21st March 2007, 12:47
I've done an engine swap on my bike and never even thought about the engine serial #. Its gone through 3 WOFs since and the WOF people don't seem to check it either. You may not have to worry about it at all.

F5 Dave
26th March 2007, 16:48
Check LTSA website, it goes into detail, essentially if same block, same power then no issue. But do a search & you will find it.