PDA

View Full Version : Something not right (tm)

Lias
12th March 2007, 15:05
Being that I'm fucking clueless when it comes to the mechanical side of things I'm looking for some advice.

Lately something just doesnt seem right with my marauder. It's not particularly noticable around town, but when I took it on the open road the other day for the first time in weeks it was alot more noticeable.

At the higher end of each gears range, the bike doesnt sound right, almost as if its over-revving (a bit like the sound the bike makes if you change down messily or put it into neutral while still going too fast). It also seemed to be ALOT more gutless in 4th and 5th on the open road. Normally I can accelerate up to 140ish quickly in 5th, then slowly work my way upwards from there. Yesterday that slow spot was kicking in at 100 in 5th, and I ran out of road before i got it over 130.

I'm dreading this being horrendously expensive, but am going to take it into the shop later this week, would just like some thoughts on what it could be.

Ixion
12th March 2007, 15:07
Slipping clutch ?

Lias
12th March 2007, 15:09
That sounds expensive?

Ixion
12th March 2007, 15:11
Not terribly. And usually easy enough to do y'self.

Lias
12th March 2007, 15:16
Would now be a good time to mention that I've given up trying to learn how to adjust my chain properly and just pay to get it done at the shop? :-)

imdying
12th March 2007, 15:34
At the higher end of each gears range, the bike doesnt sound right, almost as if its over-revving (a bit like the sound the bike makes if you change down messily or put it into neutral while still going too fast). Sounds like a slipping clutch. What happens if you put it in 6th as soon as possible, and open the throttle fully?

Lias
12th March 2007, 15:40
Sounds like a slipping clutch. What happens if you put it in 6th as soon as possible, and open the throttle fully?
Bike only goes to 5th :-)

ManDownUnder
12th March 2007, 15:47
Mate save yourself some cash, find a KBer handy that can look at the clutch cable adjustment (assuming that's what it is).

If the diagnosis is correct it's only 2 mins work (literally)...

imdying
12th March 2007, 16:09
Bike only goes to 5th :-)Use your imagination then... what happens if you try the above trick in 5th?

ManDownUnder
12th March 2007, 16:12
In case it's handy... the procedure - complete with pics.

http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/81/112/

stanko
12th March 2007, 18:21
Did you change the oil recently and use some flash car oil? Often the friction modifiers (splecial slippery shit) in the oil cause the clutch to slip because the clutch is swimming in the oil. You need a plain oil that is designed for 4 stroke bikes, I think castrol GTX is a suitable oil and pretty cheap if you have to use car oil.

xwhatsit
12th March 2007, 21:45
Did you change the oil recently and use some flash car oil? Often the friction modifiers (splecial slippery shit) in the oil cause the clutch to slip because the clutch is swimming in the oil. You need a plain oil that is designed for 4 stroke bikes, I think castrol GTX is a suitable oil and pretty cheap if you have to use car oil.

Damn straight, when I used some car oil after my engine rebuild (500kms then proper oil), even my little mellow 248cc single was slipping off the line when I nailed it.

Of course it looks like dear Lias doesn't do his own oil changes if he doesn't adjust his chain, so maybe the shop put something funny in?

Lias
13th March 2007, 09:06
Damn straight, when I used some car oil after my engine rebuild (500kms then proper oil), even my little mellow 248cc single was slipping off the line when I nailed it.

Of course it looks like dear Lias doesn't do his own oil changes if he doesn't adjust his chain, so maybe the shop put something funny in?

Didnt change the oil, but I did top it up a month or two ago with err "Shell Helix plus 1040"

avgas
13th March 2007, 09:15
Didnt change the oil, but I did top it up a month or two ago with err "Shell Helix plus 1040"

Was your oil low? putting too much oil in is also a bad thing. Especially when you have to ask yourself where the oil is going.

Lias
13th March 2007, 09:31
Was your oil low? putting too much oil in is also a bad thing. Especially when you have to ask yourself where the oil is going.
Yeah it was really low

notme
13th March 2007, 10:12
Handy reading......just one of many examples on the net.

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/oil_opinion.html

Suck to say, but you might find that the oil you topped up with has friction modifiers in it, thus clutch is slipping.

Wass da bottle say as far as ratings?

Not sure if you can fix this by flushing the oil or similar...let's hope so though!

Lias
13th March 2007, 17:00
Handy reading......just one of many examples on the net.

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/oil_opinion.html

Suck to say, but you might find that the oil you topped up with has friction modifiers in it, thus clutch is slipping.

Wass da bottle say as far as ratings?

Not sure if you can fix this by flushing the oil or similar...let's hope so though!

Its SJ rated, which according to that page is not a good thing.

So assuming its the oil thats the cause, can anyone tell me if its likely to have done any damage, and if draining and changing the oil will fix things?

R6_kid
13th March 2007, 17:09
Try an oil flush before your next oil change, may help. Other option is to take the clutch plates and fibres out and clean them with some petrol or similar solvent (check with mechanic before doing this incase im wrong) then put it all back together and add fresh M/C oil only.

If your clutch has had it you're probably looking at $300 + labour to replace all the plates and fibres (depending on cost) in the r6 they are $7 and $11 respectively and there are 7 of one and 8 of the other.

notme
13th March 2007, 19:20
Its SJ rated, which according to that page is not a good thing.

So assuming its the oil thats the cause, can anyone tell me if its likely to have done any damage, and if draining and changing the oil will fix things?

Bugger dude....

I suppose if nothing else you could try replacing the oil with some cheap oil from repco a couple of times and see if it gets better - if it doesn't then you lose $30 or so in oil costs and have to repair your clutch, but you may have to do that anyway!

Note this is all assuming that it's the oil causing the prob.....

Maybe a nice m/c mechanic will look at it and give you some guidance?

good luck!

Lias
18th April 2007, 23:16
Old thread bumpage!

Finally got around to taking the bike into the shop, clutch is completely fucked. So your internet diagnosis skills were spot on chaps :-)

Now who wants to help me pay the huge arse freaking bill.. Needed new steels, fibres, springs gaskets and other stuff I forget.

moko
29th April 2007, 06:09
Would now be a good time to mention that I've given up trying to learn how to adjust my chain properly and just pay to get it done at the shop? :-)

There's a Suzuki dealer just down the road from me that would probably give you a job,most of their mechanics seem to have the ability as you.