PDA

View Full Version : Loud metallic ping when starting

Moxy
12th March 2007, 19:34
In the last week, if I haven't ridden my bike in a couple of days, then start it up, the first time it starts I hear a loud metallic ping similar to if I bashed a metal bar against a metallic surface. This has happened twice.

It only happens the very first time the bike is started, re-starting the bike during the day (or immediately after shutting down after the ping) does not result in anything weird, and it is only a single ping.

The sound is on the right hand side rear of the bike, perhaps inside the muffler.

After the ping, the bike sound fine, idles smoothly, and rides smoothly.

The only anomoly is the sound.

Any ideas as to what this could be? Where could I start looking? I've tried doing some searching but can't find any similar problems...

mark247
2nd April 2007, 11:06
My wild guess would be the starter motor is almost shagged. Im no auto sparky though

moT
2nd April 2007, 16:10
hmm does it make the ping when you turn it over or when the engine is acually started?

Moxy
23rd April 2007, 20:17
I did an oil change about a month ago, and the ping has only recurred once since then a couple weeks after the change.

Basically the starter would spin for the half second or so that it does, and just as the actual engine starts, there would be a single ping.

Dunno how the oil change would have fixed it, levels were fine before and after.

--

Now my new problem is that it's started running rich since I had it in the shop getting new chain and sprockets, and is hard to start when warm. I'm going to get a new air filter and see if that sorts it.

Blackbird
24th April 2007, 07:05
I'm not sure what the set-up is on your bike, but have you got a plunger-type cam chain tensioner? A lot of Hondas, including the Blackbird have this arrangement and as they get older and the spring starts to soften, they give a brief clacking noise on start-up when the cam chain lashes against them. About $150 and 20 minutes worth of time to change them on a Honda.

Just a thought.