PDA

View Full Version : Heaps of crap in radiator water???

Mole_C
14th March 2007, 14:21
The old zxr has been getting hotter than normal lately, getting just under red line going to uni (always did this but more often now) and even stayed just above half at 100kms which really worried me. It usually sits right down where it should.

So yesterday i took the radiator cap of and had a look. Water a tad low and looked creamyish. I thought this might just be the stop leak crap i had put in so i drained it all out and ran a bit of vinegar through to try clean it. (hope its not bad, got the idea off here somewhere). It ran beautifully with this, never getting near redline and got fan working properly again :yes:

Drained him out then filled with water again to flush out vinegar. Also ran hose through it for a few mins and squirted down most of the hoses.

Now looking at the water that has come out it is still really dirty. Looks like its full of heaps of tiny white/grey/brownish particles and a couple of bigger black ones. Kinda shiny as well. They all seem to sink to the bottom when left for a while.

Now does this seem like its just real scaley and dirty and should i just keep flushing it out or does it seem like something horrible like head gasket/ water pump leaking?

Also is it fine just to use tap water to flush it with? I have distilled water for final fill.

Thanks, ill try get a photo of water if it would help when i get my hands on a cam :yes:

blacksheep
14th March 2007, 14:25
you should really add anti freeze as well,this acts as an anti corrosion element for the inside of your radiator .

Mole_C
14th March 2007, 14:34
yea i put anti freeze in 50/50 but not for the flush, dont see any point wasting anti freeze for the short time its in there for a flush.

Macktheknife
14th March 2007, 14:42
Creamy appearance, small particles of scum like stuff, shiny look to radiator water. hhmmmm
Check your oil pronto, if there is any moisture in it then you have a problem with a head gasket. What you are describing sounds like it could be this, it could also be a buildup of crap in a shitty radiator.
Either way get it sorted soon.

imdying
14th March 2007, 14:43
Flushing is cheap, do it a few more times :) Could also take it to a radiator shop and have it cleaned properly. Probably wouldn't cost much if you do the hard work yourself and just take the radiator in :yes:

Mole_C
14th March 2007, 14:58
Creamy appearance, small particles of scum like stuff, shiny look to radiator water. hhmmmm
Check your oil pronto, if there is any moisture in it then you have a problem with a head gasket. What you are describing sounds like it could be this, it could also be a buildup of crap in a shitty radiator.
Either way get it sorted soon.

Shall i just drain it and check or is there an easier way? Is it pretty obvious if there is water in it?

Cheers

imdying
14th March 2007, 15:21
Mechanics have a sniffer that detects combustion gases in the coolant, maybe Motu could give us further info. I suspect a radiator shop would have one as there standard set of tools though?

Hans
14th March 2007, 15:22
Check the radiator cap for scummy brown mayo-type shit.

Macktheknife
14th March 2007, 17:34
Shall i just drain it and check or is there an easier way? Is it pretty obvious if there is water in it?

Cheers

It should be pretty obvious in the water, but if you have never seen it before then get it to someone who has, mechanic, mate, mentor, whatever and they will tell you.
That's the best way to do it cheap, if you want to do it right then go straight to the mechanic, preferably one you know and trust, or one who is recommended by others you know and trust.
Good luck.

Mole_C
16th March 2007, 14:41
More info for ya. Put water in last night without running it though and it still had a bit of crap in it, not as much but still some. Does the water still get into the head gasket if you dont run it at all?

Also all the crap sinks to the bottom. Doesn't oil float?

I think its just a lot of crap in the radiator, probably from the level being to low and oxidising :nono: damn radiator.

Agree? Or shall i get someone else to look at it?

Hans
16th March 2007, 15:56
Photos of offending water?

vifferman
16th March 2007, 16:10
More info for ya. Put water in last night without running it though and it still had a bit of crap in it, not as much but still some. Does the water still get into the head gasket if you dont run it at all?[quote]
Not usually, but also not necessarily - depends if the head gasket leak opens up with heat or not.

[quote=Mole_C;977495] Also all the crap sinks to the bottom. Doesn't oil float?[/quote
Yes.

[quote=Mole_C;977495] I think its just a lot of crap in the radiator, probably from the level being to low and oxidising :nono: damn radiator.

Agree? Or shall i get someone else to look at it?
That's most likely. Don't look for trouble where there isn't necessarily any.

Check it again after running it for a few days.

Max Preload
16th March 2007, 16:15
Mechanics have a sniffer that detects combustion gases in the coolant, maybe Motu could give us further info. I suspect a radiator shop would have one as there standard set of tools though?

That's called a 'TeeKay check'. Just bear in mind that since the cooling system has now been flushed out the bike will need to be ridden a few days before sufficient gases make their way into the cooling system to give a positive reading, if the gasket is blown between a cylinder and the water jacket. However, it sounds like it might be blown between a oil gallery and the water jacket, and a TeeKay won't show that up.

How old was the coolant that was already in the bike?