PDA

View Full Version : Winner of the first 2007 Supersport shootout is ...

Black Bandit
27th March 2007, 23:56
A Honda.:dodge:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=4514&Page=1

The to-and-fro competition of the Jappa supersports is a rapidly changing landscape. I'm not really sold on the looks of the Honda though, looks a little dated perhaps? Can't really judge properly until I see one in the flesh though.

ninjac
28th March 2007, 15:50
That test was a bit wishy washy.
They say the 6R and R6 have good mid range and nothing up top. Then they show the dyno graph which clearly shows the opposite. They also mention how the CBR has all the bells and whistles on the dash and the ZX-6R doesn't even have a clock. Wrong there is a clock, and with the lap timer it has everything and more the CBR has except the fuel guage.
Pitty they didn't get enough time on the track.
It would be interesting to see what difference the ZX-6R makes when the exhaust valve is set to full function UK spec.
They mention this but only give the 05/06 model as an example which only gave another 1Hp across the rev range. I heard the gain for the 07 is much more.
There's no dought Honda did a good job but I am not sold on the looks either. The front looks very dated and the side fairings look to bitzy.
All these bikes are fantastic and so close on performance the choice is purly down to personal preferance.

Black Bandit
28th March 2007, 20:11
Biggest surprise for me was all the pies the Kwaka has been eating! It's the heaviest and has the lowest HP of the bunch - such a change from the 636.

MD
29th March 2007, 11:37
Biggest surprise for me was all the pies the Kwaka has been eating! It's the heaviest and has the lowest HP of the bunch - such a change from the 636.
Yeah. I test rode the new ZX6R on Saturday. Bit of a disappointment coming off owning three 636s in a row. New bike is unnecessarily uncomfortable, handlebars almost touching your knees Why? Power is just average for the class and what's with the extra weight when you drop 37cc?
The new CBR looks and on paper sounds like it's going to be the new boss on the block. Only sat on the CBR but in reb/black it does it for me, feels so comfortable and light.
Ah shit. Too many bikes we all want to own at once. What's a motorcyclist to do...

K6K
29th March 2007, 14:31
Save me from the Honda!
I thought my bike was going to be written off so I was quite excited about the Kwaka. But 14.5 Kg semi-wet heavier than the Honda?? WTF!!!
Kawasaki's used to have a bit of a rep for being tubby and it looks like they are heading back to it with this bike.
Performance is more important to me than looks but I am just not a fan of Honda's (At least the CBR range). I am glad my bike is now being repaired so I can wait and hope the K8 or even the R6 comes out and catches up to the Honda.

inlinefour
29th March 2007, 14:43
A Honda.:dodge:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=4514&Page=1

The to-and-fro competition of the Jappa supersports is a rapidly changing landscape. I'm not really sold on the looks of the Honda though, looks a little dated perhaps? Can't really judge properly until I see one in the flesh though.

Try riding the bike before making a proper sound judgement. My 05 CBR is back in the local dealer up for sale. I tried all the 05 600cc, 750cc and 1000cc and the CBR was first equal with another bike that I could not get me hands on...

imdying
29th March 2007, 15:00
Perhaps the way Kawasaki measure there weigth has changed... perhaps they now measure with air in teh tyres, oil in the motor and forks, and half a tank of gas? Tui I know, but it could happen....

JayRacer37
29th March 2007, 15:03
Just read through the whole lot of that...hmm....[think politely]...'stuff', and got a little bit worried that one bike in there was going to be a bit of a dud as a race bike. Then I watched the video on page two of there write up to the right of the CBR report, watched how the yanks rode, and breathed a sigh of relief. If your going to comment on which one is best, and all that crap, ride the things how there meant and get back to me please. Those guys looked like the (no offence) average medium group at track days. Bring on 2008 NZ SS title challenge!!! :rockon:

Black Bandit
29th March 2007, 20:59
Ah shit. Too many bikes we all want to own at once. What's a motorcyclist to do...
I know, I know:yes:

Try riding the bike before making a proper sound judgement.
Um, that's what the comparison shootout journos did to come up with their conclusions. :spudwhat:

I bet there'll be plenty of other shootouts published this year that will announce another bike as "king of the hill". They're so close performance wise that it comes down to personal preference/bias on the day.

jimbo600
29th March 2007, 21:21
Yeah. I test rode the new ZX6R on Saturday. Bit of a disappointment coming off owning three 636s in a row. New bike is unnecessarily uncomfortable, handlebars almost touching your knees Why? Power is just average for the class and what's with the extra weight when you drop 37cc?
The new CBR looks and on paper sounds like it's going to be the new boss on the block. Only sat on the CBR but in reb/black it does it for me, feels so comfortable and light.

Dunno MD dunno. Reckon my next bike won't be a sports bike anyway. Having a whirl on yours made me think again about bikes. Hadn't smiled like that on a bike in ages.

Oh yeah I did, it was Tue wheelieing up SH1 past Porirua.

inlinefour
30th March 2007, 10:51
I know, I know:yes:

Um, that's what the comparison shootout journos did to come up with their conclusions. :spudwhat:

Those articles are generally only mere opinionated crap...

The Stranger
30th March 2007, 10:58
Those articles are generally only mere opinionated crap...

Unless of course they say the Suzuki is best, then you can believe them.

cowpoos
30th March 2007, 11:09
Just read through the whole lot of that...hmm....[think politely]...'stuff', and got a little bit worried that one bike in there was going to be a bit of a dud as a race bike. Then I watched the video on page two of there write up to the right of the CBR report, watched how the yanks rode, and breathed a sigh of relief. If your going to comment on which one is best, and all that crap, ride the things how there meant and get back to me please. Those guys looked like the (no offence) average medium group at track days. Bring on 2008 NZ SS title challenge!!! :rockon:
yeah...I don't listen to any journo crap much anymore....and besides the kawa seems to be doing pretty well in racin circles very quickly... 1,2 5,6 at daytona...1st and a 3rd[??] at wsb...might be a case that in race trim for which it was probally designed for its is light and fast..

Devil
30th March 2007, 11:34
Those guys looked like the average medium group at track days.
Hey! I resemble that remark! :third:

JayRacer37
30th March 2007, 11:39
Hey! I resemble that remark! :third:

Good on ya mate, so long as your out there havin/ fun, and givin it a thrash :rockon:

inlinefour
30th March 2007, 12:38
Unless of course they say the Suzuki is best, then you can believe them.

Unless you follow Moto GP, World Super Bikes and Super Sport. In those fields Suzuki are utter shyte. I'm aware of the whole flock of sheep within New Zealand that swear by Suzuki. I must admit that my DRZ400 was an awesome bike, just was a tad sad that Honda did not make a road legal equivilant. When it come time to buy a brand new sports bike back on 2005, I tried all the makes and made my decision based on what worked for me. However in saying that, it probably is different for others. To base a purchase solely on what some magazine says, IMO, is foolish.

SPman
30th March 2007, 16:13
Truth be known....they're all equally as good and capable of more performance than 95% of riders can get anywhere near to extracting, anyway.
Buy the one that fits best - the ZX6R looks great in Orange.......

ninjac
30th March 2007, 21:43
I agree with SPman.
Why don't we get the orange in NZ?
Also, why do we pay a decent wedge more for the Daytona 675 when in the good old US of A get it cheaper than the Jap 600's?

Green Knight
4th April 2007, 11:27
Wait for a real magazine to do the shoot out. I respect Road Racer World Magazine the most. I think they do the best job. They are racers telling racers which bike they think is the best with the least possible number of variables involved.

imdying
4th April 2007, 11:36
Wait for a real magazine to do the shoot out. I respect Road Racer World Magazine the most. I think they do the best job. They are racers telling racers which bike they think is the best with the least possible number of variables involved.Which is nice if you're going to track ride the bike, but irrelevant for road users.

more_fasterer
4th April 2007, 15:36
Also, why do we pay a decent wedge more for the Daytona 675 when in the good old US of A get it cheaper than the Jap 600's?
The US has quite strict importation rules on Jap products, whereas they are much more lenient on the poms.

ninjac
4th April 2007, 15:41
The US has quite strict importation rules on Jap products, whereas they are much more lenient on the poms.
Bugger for us then ah. Because we pay loads more for jap bikes than the yanks as well.

BigG
6th April 2007, 11:33
They tell us that the sale of bikes has gone up ( so has the prices ) I would have thought the price should come down, supply and demand. The road test of the 675 Daytona was very impresive it looks good to as do all the sports bikes, its up to youre personal choice what you ride and what suits you, I use to ride BSA and Triumphs but nothing would change me now from Yamaha they are so reliable and briliant on road holding. Nice to see two Yamahas up front in Superbikes.

Toast
6th April 2007, 12:47
Superbike mag gave the prize to the 600rr too...but whatever.

I'd probably go for the Kwak. They didn't rate it too highly, but they said it is an awesome handler and very roomy. I reckon I'd be quickest on that. Even my 03 600rr is super cramped and hard to move around on.

NinjaBoy
7th April 2007, 22:46
have ridden both - 07 CBR and ZX - and currently in the market.

The CBR is quite a different beast from all previous models. Easy to ride and a more upright position, but has a more aggressive engine across the range. Also smaller in every way - to look at and sit on. But has some quirks - small switches (kill and indicator), ZX has a nicer looking exhaust and side stand hard to get down.

The ZX has moved on to be more of a track bike. No soft cushy seat and more hunched reach to bars. However, they've finally got the gauges right ! Gear position indicator, clock and trip meter both on at the same time. Unfortunately, the 636 mid range punch has gone forever.

Dodgyiti
8th April 2007, 21:20
Blame Euro3 for some of that extra lard:angry2: :drool:

Deviant Esq
11th April 2007, 21:45
For those who couldn't be arsed reading the whole article... here's their conclusion. Personally I liked the UK Fast Bikes mag supersports test the most, but anyway.

Conclusion

Let's feel for the poor motojournalists who must go through the exhausting rigmarole every year to decide which is the best supersport. Although the silence from your cries of sympathy are deafening, it really becomes a struggle to discern which contender is better and why. Although we must declare winners and non-winners, there are no losers here. Each bike is a thrilling machine that has greater capabilities than 99% of riders, so don't necessarily think that a lower rating for a bike in our test is any measure of condemnation.

As close as the competition is in this class, at least there are some identifiable distinctions between the brands and models. Even our top-rated bike is not without a wart or two. Perhaps the perfect bike could be made by combining the CBR's motor, the R6's chassis, the ZX's tranny and clutch, with the adjustable ergos and high value of the Gixxer.

In case the OEMs are paying attention, here's the stuff your next supersport should have: slipper clutch, fuel gauge, gear-position indicator, clock, lap timer, some form of adjustable footpegs and levers. A bit of wind protection would be nice, as would an engine that pulled with authority below 10 grand.

The oddest thing about this test is how the weights of the group have grown so divergent. Just two years ago, the participants in our 2005 shootout were separated by just 5 pounds. In '07 that gap is 32 pounds. Now, a few pounds here and there can't really be felt by a rider, but a 32-lb extra burden will undeniably have an effect on performance.

With all that said, our scorecards were tallied and the marks speak for themselves.

Suzuki GSX-R600
Final Score: 86.1%

First off, let's point out that an 86% score will still get you into a good college. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the lil' Gixxer, and it should be noted that some riders might be best served to pick the Suzi depending on their type of riding. In several ways, it is the most streetable scoot of this quartet. We had a blast riding it around, and none of us would consider it a disappointment if it were the only bike in our garage.

Kawasaki ZX-6R
Final Score: 88.5%

The middleweight Ninja is the victim of bad timing. Its 599cc mill and flawless transmission would've made it the best powertrain of them all - if it had come out last year. As it is, the grunt advantage it once enjoyed during the 636cc days is now owned by the Honda. Good thing, then, that Kawasaki engineers have hewn what we think is the best handling Ninja ever. Had this bike come out last year, it likely could've beat the 2006 CBR600RR and it nearly edged out the scintillating R6.

There are three areas that hold back the ZX's scores: Top-end power, weight and (for some) its appearance. If you like the looks of this bike and wouldn't hesitate about fitting an aftermarket exhaust system, we recommend you take a good long look at the ZX-6R. There's probably 20 lbs of weight that can be dumped with a lightweight exhaust, and the extra power to be had from the pipe and the ECU trick will definitely help it breathe.

Yamaha YZF-R6
Final Score: 89.8%

The R6 pulls at us in two directions. Its riding position, tall seat height, groggy low-end power and narrow-engagement clutch result in a bike that logically can't be a great bike for normal street riding. But those things are quickly forgotten when presented with an empty road that twists across a mountain range or, better yet, a racetrack.

Despite the YZF's faults, the R6 gives its rider a feeling that he/she's on something special. This is the bike to be on if you want to impress the crowd at your local burger joint - it's a real eye magnet. However, the R6 experience is immensely more stimulating when revving the nuts off it.

Honda CBR600RR
Final Score: 93.3%

Let's take a moment here to recognize the accomplishment Honda has made. Despite a close similarity in specifications, the CBR's engine now feels as if it has a big-bore kit, never mind that the R6 puts the bigger number up. A smaller number is better when it comes to weight, and here again the Honda magicians have exceeded the best efforts from the other OEMs.

But more than that, there's just nothing that this CBR can't do. On our scorecards it had only mark below 90, and the 85 it got for User Friendliness was just 3 points away from the top spot in that category. It took top honors in eight of 15 categories, not least of which was the perfect 100% score it received in our critical Grin Factor category.

You might say this latest CBR is a grin factory.