PDA

View Full Version : Friend changing out piston.. Need help

Disciple
28th March 2007, 12:09
Friend of mine is a mechanic and he's going to strip my bike down to get the frame powdercoated. While it's down he wants to change out my piston adn ring for me. Only problem is what piston kit do I get and from where? Some say that wiseco pistons are cheap generic ones while others say get original. I am not sure where to get the kits from so any help would be great. I am in CHCH and superior said they have some for $220 aftermarket while Pit lane can get wiseco but recommended original.

Bit confusing to me.. any help? Thanks :)

vifferman
28th March 2007, 12:11
I'm a bit confused too. Is he changing out the old piston or changing in a new piston, or just replacing the old piston with a new one?

Disciple
28th March 2007, 12:13
Sorry he is replacing the existing one with a new one that I will buy. Haven't done it since I bought it year and a half ago.

Crisis management
28th March 2007, 13:45
I always stick to original equipment unless the other option has some real and proven advantages. Wiseco are a good manufacturer but some peolpe have complained about excess weight in some kits......all rumour, I don't have any personal experience of them.

Genuine parts would be my pick...so go to the kawasaki dealer!

Disciple
28th March 2007, 14:51
Thats the thing. Superior Motorcycle are the Kawasaki dealers and they only have aftermarket parts. Is there a place online I can order thats reputable that anyone knows of?

F5 Dave
28th March 2007, 17:13
Genuine will be ART brand which are cast & good qual. Wiseco have brought their game up from the old days (esp on late MX stuff) & with plated barrels this is what the majority of aftermarket tuners will use.

Don't lose any sleep over it & get what is going. Be more concerned with the powervalves. Strip them out , clean them up without harsh scratching (oven cleaner helps) & inspect very carefully. Not sure on KX but powervalve actuator could be Left hand thread nut. Don't be surprised if ex flange o-rings need replacement. Will be silicone for higher temp.

All pretty easy stuff though.

MikeyG
28th March 2007, 17:16
Haven't you seen the worlds fastest indian.

Cast your own piston using two parts chev piston and one part Ford piston. You'll have to watch the movie to find the right year pistons to use.