PDA

View Full Version : GPX won't start

jeremysprite
31st March 2007, 22:10
I made the mistake of sitting it in the rain overnight/day (I'm from Queenstown, don't have to deal with that kinda nonsense), and now it won't start at all. Engine won't fire, tried electric, with and without choke, roll starting it would start firing about 5 times then die.
Sat it in the sun all day, thought it might be water in the cylinders/plugs wet. Still won't start.

Had this happen before I think (if its the same problem), and rolled it down a steep hill, and one cylinder took ages to start firing - was way down on power, prone to stall, and would all of a sudden kick in the power.

But this time it won't fire on it's own.
Plugs?
Water in cylinder?
Water in fuel?

Thankyou for your help!

The Pastor
31st March 2007, 23:06
I had this problem once, after parking the bike up for a week it would only run on 1 cylinder at at full throtle it would only do idle revs. i just rode it around for a looooooong time and slowly I got all four cylinders working. I was in whangarei. I went home to auckland. I found out the my carbs were not attached to my engine. Don't ask me how. but I laughed. 150k's with the carbs just haging there!

MSTRS
1st April 2007, 09:21
Likely cause is water in the fuel (system). GPXs are renowned for leaky petrol caps and the drain system does not direct water out again. This is why most older ones have rusted-out fuel tanks.

jeremysprite
2nd April 2007, 19:56
This evening, I tried draining the fuel tank, the tap wouldn't run (unless the plate was off the back of the fuel tap), and I tried pushstarting it for about 40m (tired now) down a hill, in first it would just skip + slide the back wheel, didn't really fire the engine more than about 5 times. Second was better, but often couldn't get it into 2nd from neutral, (clutch doesn't fully disengage).
Is it sparkplugs/electrical, or does it just not want to start because the fuel doesn't pour out of the tap?

scracha
2nd April 2007, 20:27
Both my old GPX600 and 750 suffered from a really $hit sidestand cutout switch. That might be your problem and may explain why you can't hook 2nd without the engine cutting out.

MSTRS
2nd April 2007, 20:30
Simply put, an engine needs 3 things to work...compression, fuel, spark.
1. Compression - not a problem if you have lockup in first etc
2. Fuel - in question
3. Spark - in question.

Right...you need to eliminate spark as a problem first. Take both plugs out, fit the HT leads to them, sit the metal part of the plugs (the hex part, not the tip) against engine metal (to earth them), try to start normally and check that both plugs have a nice strong spark. Yes? Eliminated. No? Could be a number of reasons, but probably coil/s. You will need an auto sparky perhaps.
If spark ok, then move to fuel.
Drain the tank and the carbs. Remove the fuel tap assembly from the tank and thoroughly clean it. Clean out the tank using fresh petrol and empty it into say an ice cream container. This is so that you can be sure that there is no water, rust etc (still) in the tank. Refit the fuel tap, put it back on the bike, refit the hoses if they are ok or fit new ones, Fill with new fuel. Should go now. If not, take it to a mechanic.

The problem getting it into second is probably Kawasaki's positive neutral finder at work. Otherwise, adjust your clutch/cable properly :angry:

skidMark
2nd April 2007, 20:34
This evening, I tried draining the fuel tank, the tap wouldn't run (unless the plate was off the back of the fuel tap), and I tried pushstarting it for about 40m (tired now) down a hill, in first it would just skip + slide the back wheel, didn't really fire the engine more than about 5 times. Second was better, but often couldn't get it into 2nd from neutral, (clutch doesn't fully disengage).
Is it sparkplugs/electrical, or does it just not want to start because the fuel doesn't pour out of the tap?

they have a vacuum suction fuel tap from the intake rubber dude,check that it's tight at both ends

skidMark
2nd April 2007, 20:35
Simply put, an engine needs 3 things to work...compression, fuel, spark.
1. Compression - not a problem if you have lockup in first etc
2. Fuel - in question
3. Spark - in question.

Right...you need to eliminate spark as a problem first. Take both plugs out, fit the HT leads to them, sit the metal part of the plugs (the hex part, not the tip) against engine metal (to earth them), try to start normally and check that both plugs have a nice strong spark. Yes? Eliminated. No? Could be a number of reasons, but probably coil/s. You will need an auto sparky perhaps.
If spark ok, then move to fuel.
Drain the tank and the carbs. Remove the fuel tap assembly from the tank and thoroughly clean it. Clean out the tank using fresh petrol and empty it into say an ice cream container. This is so that you can be sure that there is no water, rust etc (still) in the tank. Refit the fuel tap, put it back on the bike, refit the hoses if they are ok or fit new ones, Fill with new fuel. Should go now. If not, take it to a mechanic.

The problem getting it into second is probably Kawasaki's positive neutral finder at work. Otherwise, adjust your clutch/cable properly :angry:

don't put gas into an icecream container , will eat straight thru it.

skidMark
2nd April 2007, 20:38
I had this problem once, after parking the bike up for a week it would only run on 1 cylinder at at full throtle it would only do idle revs. i just rode it around for a looooooong time and slowly I got all four cylinders working. I was in whangarei. I went home to auckland. I found out the my carbs were not attached to my engine. Don't ask me how. but I laughed. 150k's with the carbs just haging there!

so u roll started it rather than checking out your bike, and u can't check ur bolts and clamps are tight? it's called routine maintenance, remind me if i ever buy a bike from you to tighten the bolts before riding, i mean shit 4 carbys came loose :|

The Pastor
2nd April 2007, 22:34
so u roll started it rather than checking out your bike, and u can't check ur bolts and clamps are tight? it's called routine maintenance, remind me if i ever buy a bike from you to tighten the bolts before riding, i mean shit 4 carbys came loose :|

Nah I had them off the day before I parked it up, the little spring clamps had came undone and came off. I checked it when I got home.

When was the last time you checked if your spring clamps were on your carbs?

MSTRS
3rd April 2007, 08:46
don't put gas into an icecream container , will eat straight thru it.

Must be something in the petrol north of the Bombays...

jeremysprite
3rd April 2007, 16:34
Ok, can't get the plugs out of the cylinders because they're in deep and i don't have a plug spanner. Tried the connector leads, stuck a screwdriver against the connecting terminal and tried to start it, with both leads, no spark going to the screwdriver (note:it was resting on the connector). Fuel I think is okay, as each time I remove the tank, the fuel line has fuel in it. I think it doesn't pour out of the tap as a safety-the whole vacuum thingy.
So it's most likely coils are gone? They look pretty tight, doesn't look rusted etc. Or something else along the electrical line?
Thanks everyone.

Ixion
3rd April 2007, 16:37
I doubt that will work. Get an old spark plug, pull the cap off each plug in turn, on each stick the old plug into the cap , rest plug body on an earthy thing and trun engine over. Look for spark

MSTRS
3rd April 2007, 16:38
... i don't have a plug spanner. .....

Then get one...along with some other basic tools. Supercheap is your friend.

Squiggles
6th April 2007, 10:45
gpx has same engine as a zzr, the plugs are a long way down and they're the baby plugs, 8mm i think, i couldnt get a plug spanner that'd fit them at either repco or the bike shops, in the end i found that the one for my dad's honda accord was perfect, oh, and by a long way down i mean you need 4-5 inches of tool to get at them :gob: ;)

Ixion
6th April 2007, 13:26
Well, anyone with only 4 or 5 inches of tool, is bound to ride a GSXR1000. So they won't be worried about plugs on a 250.

jeremysprite
6th April 2007, 19:05
Ok cheers, yeah I got a plug from the shell station, (thanks Ixion, good idea) and it sparked against the frame, but also my hand sometimes got shocked while holding the rubber connector - my friend said this may be due to stuffed leads?

Parents are coming through Auckland on Monday, bringing some excess tools up yay! I also bought a flexible shaft screwdriver with multiple heads- may be able to somehow fit an 8mm socket on the end, as the frame is pretty much directly above the plug holes and it may be difficult to angle in 4-5 inches of tool...

Cheers guys, she should be out on the streets again Monday night.

jeremysprite
9th April 2007, 19:02
Ok, got the plugs out today and they spark fine. So fuel - it is feeding out of the tank. Spark- the plugs are working fine. Compression- definitley. So there has to be a problem with the fuel getting from the lines to the cylinders right ie carbs? I tried to get the airbox off today to look at them but it's wider than the frame, won't come out...

JimO
9th April 2007, 19:50
i will give you $500 for it

skidMark
9th April 2007, 19:51
Nah I had them off the day before I parked it up, the little spring clamps had came undone and came off. I checked it when I got home.

When was the last time you checked if your spring clamps were on your carbs?

every time i cleaned it which was each weekend, checked over the whole bike

skidMark
9th April 2007, 19:54
Ok, got the plugs out today and they spark fine. So fuel - it is feeding out of the tank. Spark- the plugs are working fine. Compression- definitley. So there has to be a problem with the fuel getting from the lines to the cylinders right ie carbs? I tried to get the airbox off today to look at them but it's wider than the frame, won't come out...

uve drained ur bowls right?

skidMark
9th April 2007, 19:56
I made the mistake of sitting it in the rain overnight/day (I'm from Queenstown, don't have to deal with that kinda nonsense), and now it won't start at all. Engine won't fire, tried electric, with and without choke, roll starting it would start firing about 5 times then die.
Sat it in the sun all day, thought it might be water in the cylinders/plugs wet. Still won't start.

Had this happen before I think (if its the same problem), and rolled it down a steep hill, and one cylinder took ages to start firing - was way down on power, prone to stall, and would all of a sudden kick in the power.

But this time it won't fire on it's own.
Plugs?
Water in cylinder?
Water in fuel?

Thankyou for your help!

if youve got a car you could come pick me up n i will take a look for ya?

jeremysprite
10th April 2007, 13:19
bowls? inside the carbs? can't get the airbox off, to look at the carbs. Thanks for the offer of help too, but I'm struggling to find time to work on my bike, week is pretty full.